Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Passing chlorine gas
Albert101
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-4-2016 at 01:46
Passing chlorine gas

So I've been trying to pass chlorine gas over element Mercury with liquid chlorine and 36% acid and am have no luck what so ever my setup is a 1:1 ratio chlorine drops into acid while been stird with magnetic bar then to a nother flask with water to wash the gas then out into a dry tube followed into a flask with element murcury problem is I don't see or get any gas just bubbles off chlorine and acid mixing even tried a 2:1 ratio that should give about 15-20 minutes off green gas I know ther is other ways off doing this but this way seems the safest one for me as its only slightly sol in water unlike hgCI2 hope someone can help heads farting

image.jpeg - 2.2MB
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-4-2016 at 01:56

What do you want? You add acid to chlorine, drive off the chlorine, remove the acid from the chlorine with the water and then remove water to make the chlorine dry and then pass it over Hg? Why not pass it over Hg directly without all the complicated stuff and the acid?

And you use liquid chlorine for this?

Finally, there is no gas outlet in the final stage. Your entire setup will pressurize strongly and stoppers will pop out of their sockets all over the setup :o

Please tell us what you want. It seems that you want to make HgCl2 from Hg and Cl2, but it is not 100% clear to me.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
woelen
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
19-4-2016 at 01:56
Albert101
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-4-2016 at 03:16

Hello Woelen am after Hg2CI2 I oready have element murcury about 2kg off the stuff it's for a Al/Hg amalgam I would prefair to clean the gas as a safety measure yes liquid chlorine 14% Clorex bleach was a option aswell but liquid chlorine is stronger dam I missed the gas outlet out explains why then :o:mad:
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 19-4-2016 at 03:25

I was going to suggest moving the second RBF to the Outlet of the conical flask to neutralise the chlorine ...

Albert101
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-4-2016 at 05:41

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
I was going to suggest moving the second RBF to the Outlet of the conical flask to neutralise the chlorine ...

Think that would be a good idea or I could just put a outlet on the end flash cheers mate
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 19-4-2016 at 08:13

Forgot to say that i'd fill the scrubber pot with NaOH solution.

Just better to neutralise chlorine rather than vent it, especially if you have neighbours.

I did have some success with a 'balloon' when chlorinating sulphur, so the chlorine did not need so much scrubbing or venting (or as much produced).

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62254

Albert101
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-4-2016 at 11:54

I don't have neighbours but I do have a squirty bottle at hand to spray around the room miner leaks sometimes Huds a bit old
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 19-4-2016 at 11:57

sigh.

A lack of respect for deadly chemicals tends to work out badly for the over-confident.

Albert101
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-4-2016 at 04:46

I wear a respirator mate and a chemical suit
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2016 at 09:47

Every time that I see the title for this thread I can't help thinking
https://drawception.com/pub/panels/2014/3-30/4Pt2qnbD2O-6.pn...
Albert101
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-4-2016 at 09:54

Well all have to start somewhere I guess lol
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-4-2016 at 10:05

What is "liquid chlorine"? I know you don't mean liquefied chlorine gas. Pool chemicals vary greatly by brand and type, so whatever you're using might have stabilizers or simply won't react the way you think it will.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 20-4-2016 at 12:05

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
Every time that I see the title for this thread I can't help thinking
https://drawception.com/pub/panels/2014/3-30/4Pt2qnbD2O-6.pn...
Every. Single. Time.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Albert101
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-4-2016 at 13:26

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
What is "liquid chlorine"? I know you don't mean liquefied chlorine gas. Pool chemicals vary greatly by brand and type, so whatever you're using might have stabilizers or simply won't react the way you think it will.

sodium hypochlorite sol'n (Clorox bleach)
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 20-4-2016 at 23:07

Ah... no I understand your setup. Liquid chlorine is something VERY different from bleach! Bleach is not liquid chlorine, it is a solution of sodium hypochlorite in water.

Liquid chlorine is a yellow liquid, boiling at -35 C or so. It can be purchased in small lecture bottles, but for private persons it will not be easy to purchase. If you have access to dry ice, then you can make liquid chlorine yourself, but that is not something for the beginner.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Albert101
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-4-2016 at 04:52

I have been following this process by atomicdog from Mercurous Chloride is a simple mercury salt with the form of Hg2Cl2. The reaction described herin was thought to produce Mercuric Chloride (HgCl2) instead, which is used for making amalgams. But it turns out that Mercurous chloride does a perfectly fine job for amalgams and is thus a good substitute. Hg2Cl2 is insoluble in alcohol and only slightly soluble in water but it still manages to coat aluminum in a sol'n of either solvent. It is suggested that Hg2Cl2 amalgams be made in mildly acidic water (pH 5-6) because it is at least somewhat soluble in water and acidity increases that solubility. Apparently even plain Hg in acidic water can work but Atomic feels that this is very difficult to measure out plain mercury and thus get the same results. This reaction is super easy and takes only a few hours at most.

On the plus side, Mercurous Chloride isn't quite as dangerous as HgCl2. That insolubility makes it difficult for your body to absorb, the Merck even says that if ingested, a saline laxative should be administered to prevent mercury poisoning, try that with HgCl2! (joking, don't try that). Hg2Cl2 is a white, odorless, tasteless powder. Protect it from sunlight or it will slowly degrade into HgCl2 and Hg. Hg2Cl2 sublimes at 400-500C without melting. Please note that any solution of mercury should be considered EXTREMELY dangerous and poisonous and be handled using vynal gloves with extreme care.

We'll be making Hg2Cl2 today by passing chlorine gas over elemental mercury at room temperature and pressure. You'll need elemental mercury from an old thermometer or thermostat, and muriatic acid (31.5% HCl), and sodium hypochlorite sol'n (Clorox bleach). Atomic has found that a 2:1 ratio of bleach to acid is about right or you could use liquid chlorine (stronger stuff) from the same pool store you got the acid at go 1:1. Chlorine gas is a nasty green gas that will drive you out of the lab in very small amounts and is so corrosive that in time it will turn steel into dust. You don't want any leaks in your setup for gas to escape! 200ml of acid and 400ml of bleach will give you 15-20 min of gas and that should do it for you. In an ideal setup, your Sodium Hypochorite sol'n drips from an addition funnel into a flask filled with your acid and is stirring away. If you don't have mag stirring then you'll have to swirl the flask occasionally to get everything to react. A tube leads the gas to another where it bubbles through water to clean the gas and then another filled with CaCl2 to dry it, and then to another where the mercury waits. Atomics experience is that the water and drying aren't really necessary because not much else will react with the Hg and since Hg2Cl2 isn't really H2O soluble or nightmarishly dangerous that drying the gas is no big either. But be warned! The best way to go is clean and dry. If you use water to clean the gas be aware that for a few minutes it will absorb your gas until it becomes saturated and lets it pass through, be patient. When the green gas does hit the mercury you'll se it right away: Your fast moving, T2 looking blob will turn a dull dark gray instantly and slow down or freeze up entirely. This is a hard layer of Hg2Cl2 forming on the outside of your mercury, protecting it from the gas all around it. You have too pick up the flask and shake that baby to break out the Hg inside and spread it all around the flask so it can react, expect to be doing a lot of this.
Albert101
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-5-2016 at 04:50

So here it is looks bit dirty and not 100% reacted goin to evaporate see what am left with

image.jpeg - 2.4MBimage.jpeg - 2.4MB
Albert101
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-5-2016 at 05:38

Just a update after evaporating still looks gray think it's needs redoing until it Gos White

image.jpeg - 1.7MBimage.jpeg - 1.4MB
Albert101
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-5-2016 at 07:12

Someone anyone lol

Go To Top