Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How is this reaction possible?
Camroc37
Hazard to Others

Mood: Must...Nitrate...EVERYTHING!

[*] posted on 21-4-2016 at 16:38
How is this reaction possible?

So something I thought wasn't possible happened:
I had just made Copper using the reaction Al+CuSO4. I filtered the solution and let it dry overnight.
I decided to clean this Cu powder using 32.45% Tech grade HCl. Almost instantly, a white precipitate formed as the HCl went in.
This was definitely Copper (I) Chloride-- I had just been boiling Copper (II) Chloride with copper pennies being used as a reducing agent. After making the Copper (I) Chloride, I shut off the other reaction since I had all the Cu(I)Cl I needed. I then added ammonia to the Copper Chloride and bubbled Acetylene through it, making Copper Acetylide.
I tried to re-attempt this experiment with any variables I could imagine, but was unsuccessful. Can someone explain this?

Youtube channel is Camroc37.
I make chemistry videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpvdD2LIyXA34jvhPlUXorQ
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 21-4-2016 at 17:30

Quote: Originally posted by Camroc37  
I had just made Copper using the reaction Al+CuSO4. I filtered the solution and let it dry overnight.
I decided to clean this Cu powder using 32.45% Tech grade HCl. Almost instantly, a white precipitate formed as the HCl went in.
This was definitely Copper (I) Chloride-- I had just been boiling Copper (II) Chloride with copper pennies being used as a reducing agent. After making the Copper (I) Chloride, I shut off the other reaction since I had all the Cu(I)Cl I needed. I then added ammonia to the Copper Chloride and bubbled Acetylene through it, making Copper Acetylide.
I tried to re-attempt this experiment with any variables I could imagine, but was unsuccessful. Can someone explain this?

Why are you so sure the white powder was CuCl? Wiki describes it as "sparingly soluble in water, but very soluble in concentrated hydrochloric acid." Therefore, if you added acid, you shouldn't be precipitating out any CuCl.

I'm also confused about your desired endproduct - you mentioned precipitating and cleaning copper, indicating that was what you wanted, but then used the CuCl anyway?

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
Camroc37
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2016 at 17:36

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
Quote: Originally posted by Camroc37  

Why are you so sure the white powder was CuCl? Wiki describes it as "sparingly soluble in water, but very soluble in concentrated hydrochloric acid." Therefore, if you added acid, you shouldn't be precipitating out any CuCl.

I'm also confused about your desired endproduct - you mentioned precipitating and cleaning copper, indicating that was what you wanted, but then used the CuCl anyway?

Sorry if that was confusing. The Cu(I)Cl I was making by reducing Cu(II)Cl was unneeded information. I only added a bit of HCl, about enough to cover the copper. Sorry about not having measurements, I didn't expect this to happen. I was going to keep the copper, but decided to use it for making Copper Acetylide when it magically turned to Cu(I)Cl. That's what it must be, I mean I succeeded in making Copper Acetylide...

I make chemistry videos.
Orenousername
Hazard to Self

Mood: Regulated

[*] posted on 23-4-2016 at 04:39

Al + CuSO4 in aqueous solution? HCl can react with copper in the presence of H2O2 or some other oxidizer..
Camroc37
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2016 at 18:12

Quote: Originally posted by Orenousername  
Al + CuSO4 in aqueous solution? HCl can react with copper in the presence of H2O2 or some other oxidizer..

Will try that

I make chemistry videos.

Go To Top