Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Review of youtube channel
DutchChemistryBox
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-4-2016 at 09:53
Review of youtube channel

Hello Guys,

Recentely I've started with a youtube channel. With this channel I want to demonstrate that is possible to perform some wonderfull professional chemistry almost entirely with compounds that can be cheaply obtained or made from OTC products.

My first video was actually for an English school assignment, this video is quite lengthy because of some time demands of the teacher. I've decided to make some more videos. Recentely I've uploaded two videos about copper salts.

The links are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqQxQQLRKWE

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjdzx5odrCI .

I need this salts to perform the next experiments I want to make a video about. Namely for making pyridine and subsequentely making the fluorescent CuI-pyridine complex.

Is there somebody who wants to give some feedback about my way of presentation? Not about the subjects but more about my 'video skills'.

Are the videos nice to watch, am I going too fast of too slow, do I give too much information or not enough information? I would really like to learn from this feedback so I can make better videos!

Kind regards!

[Edited on 26-4-2016 by DutchChemistryBox]

Jstuyfzand
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning, Sorta.

[*] posted on 26-4-2016 at 14:18

Hello fellow dutchie!

In general, it is a great video, but one of the things that I noticed was that you sounded like you were having your microphone for dinner, get a better mic or try a different distance from it.

And, the infamous black bars, try to crop these out in your video
software or film using a different aspect ratio.

Do go on with your videos!

EDIT: Watched the video again and the black bars might be the ratio of the shitty laptop that I am on, can anybody confirm my error?

[Edited on 26-4-2016 by Jstuyfzand]
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 26-4-2016 at 17:03

Nah, the black bars are here for me too. It's not really a distracting problem for me, though.

Mics are expensive, so only get one if you're really prepared to make an investment in voice recording.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
DutchChemistryBox
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 27-4-2016 at 01:46

Thank you guys for the feedback!

My videos indeed have black bars on both sides, I'm going to fix that! I'm also going to search for a nice way to mount my 720p webcam in my fumehood.

The audio isn't optimal:(, I agree with that. Maybe I can get it better by doing some distance tests with my mic.

TinSandwich
Harmless

thumbup.gif posted on 27-4-2016 at 04:28

I'd suggest zooming out slightly in some occasions,to show all of the setup/experiment, also try and keep the camera still. I don't have any experience with video making but I watch a lot of youtube videos and I just wanted to give my advice.

Other than that I really enjoyed both videos:), If you want to make your channel stand out you should consider going a bit more in depth with the explaination, which is something that in my opinion not many do. Good luck with your videos:D

[Edited on 27-4-2016 by TinSandwich]
DutchChemistryBox
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-5-2016 at 06:33

I've just made a short video about my PID temperature controller. Just to play with the new camera I use and to see if this results in better footage.:D

https://youtu.be/TOHVStOZACM

I've processed most of your feedback in it. I hope that I can take more time in next videos to go more in depth with my explainations.

chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-5-2016 at 07:05

DutchChemistryBox: Nice work; really love to see new chemistry videos! Content is excellent.

A few comments purely on superficial / style aspects:

1. Lighting is generally good throughout the video (a nice change from many out there), but at 2:25 and in a few other places you switch from bright light to lower light without any transition or explanation. It can have an effect of interrupting the 'flow' of the video and story.
2. Any camera shake is magnified x10 when you see if on the screen on a video. Definitely invest in a good tripod, and don't be scared of 'still' shots for a few seconds. The 'gonzo' handheld effect is good if you pick the right action times.
3. It's probably a matter of personal preference but transitioning from panoramic mode (full screen) to portrait mode (black bars at either side of the image) is another thing which for me interrupts the flow and story of the video.
4. Some titles to help introduce the video, and then potentially to help with the story and lead through the steps would perhaps help.

Video filming and editing IS surprisingly hard though and takes a lot of practice, so thank you for the time to put this together and publish; appreciated!

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
DutchChemistryBox
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-5-2016 at 12:10

Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer...  
DutchChemistryBox: Nice work; really love to see new chemistry videos! Content is excellent.

A few comments purely on superficial / style aspects:

1. Lighting is generally good throughout the video (a nice change from many out there), but at 2:25 and in a few other places you switch from bright light to lower light without any transition or explanation. It can have an effect of interrupting the 'flow' of the video and story.
2. Any camera shake is magnified x10 when you see if on the screen on a video. Definitely invest in a good tripod, and don't be scared of 'still' shots for a few seconds. The 'gonzo' handheld effect is good if you pick the right action times.
3. It's probably a matter of personal preference but transitioning from panoramic mode (full screen) to portrait mode (black bars at either side of the image) is another thing which for me interrupts the flow and story of the video.
4. Some titles to help introduce the video, and then potentially to help with the story and lead through the steps would perhaps help.

Video filming and editing IS surprisingly hard though and takes a lot of practice, so thank you for the time to put this together and publish; appreciated!

Thank you for this really useful feedback!
I always really enjoy your videos!

Go To Top