Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Threading PVC for a removable water-tight cap (PVC or non PVC cap)
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-5-2016 at 01:38
Threading PVC for a removable water-tight cap (PVC or non PVC cap)

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen PVC pipes threaded to receive a cap of some type. What I am picturing is some kind of plastic bottle/jug lid that can be screwed on and create a water tight seal. I'm looking for 3/4 - 1.5" pipe.

I need to be able to take the cap off the pipe periodically and it needs to be water tight. I have seen some threaded caps for 3" pipe but I think it needs special tape to be water-tight (which needs re-applied each time I think). This cap doesn't need to withstand too much pressure, probably 1 ATM or so.

IDK if there is something that can be used or if someone has done something similar and has come up with their own solution.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 14-5-2016 at 01:47

I'd be asking questions at my local hardware store for that one.
You can probably find something with an O ring that would work. But I confess that I can't quite envisage exactly what you want to set up.

I have some screw-on PVC end caps that I intended to make a ball mill with but it has become one of those half-completed projects that I have so many of.

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2016 at 07:10

You can buy threaded couplings that fit all the common PVC sizes, you glue them into the pipe and they have an exposed thread that will take a cap, the cap usually has a rubber O ring. for stuff in the 3/4 to 1.5" try the irrigation section at your local hardware, they’ll have something you can work with.
feacetech
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-5-2016 at 19:00

Or you can use PTFE tape to seal the thread its removable and replaceable and common used on threads to make them water tight

Go To Top