Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemistry glassware for sale on ebay...
Daveinar
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 31-5-2016 at 17:27
Chemistry glassware for sale on ebay...

Hi all, I am a lurker here and have never posted but I do read fairly often and I do enjoy all the discussion. I just saw something that made me go Hmmmm!

I am always keeping an eye out for surplus equipment and I found a Craigslist ad for "Chemistry Glassware" link.Here is the link.
Just wondering what your impression if this is...
Naive or something else?
D
edit: corrected spelling of Chemistry in title

[Edited on 1-6-2016 by Daveinar]
Duster
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-6-2016 at 01:25

You've got bigger huevos than I do. Mainly because the CL posting alludes to your location.

However that's irrelevant. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the set nor the price. In fact, Id say its a good deal, but that's without knowing the brands of any of the glassware. Even off brand Chinese stuff is probably worth the asking price.

I will admit, I am a little curious about the sellers statement that they don't know what any of it is and just wants it gone. Im inclined to question the type of person who would keep a bunch of seemingly random chemicals and chemistry equipment around for the heck of it? I mean, sure I'd do it but... Well I guess I answered my own question, never mind.

[Edited on 1-6-2016 by Duster]

Duster
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-6-2016 at 04:39

I have known many people to buy or inherit homes (or have tenants leave without paying the rent) and find all sorts of things in the house which the previous owners left. The last house I bought had a lot of junk left in the basement and attic in nooks and crannies that the estate had not cleaned out. And if they don't know what they have, you can likely negotiate a better price. I know lots of people who have bough valuable things at yardsales, etc from people who inherited them and had no idea what they were.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-6-2016 at 08:18

I can attest to the fact that I have seen chemistry glass that was fairly easy identify, at least if you are use to looking at chemistry glass, listed literally as "this thing" for 20 dollars because they didnt know what it was and claimed it was inherited. I joke with my mother that is my true legacy with all the stuff i bought if no one gets my passion in the family... 1000s in lab glass to be listed on ebay as "this stuff" "my grand dad was some scientist or something" - relatives of the future.

If its a deal and its good buy it, thats what i usually do if i can and it hasnt failed me yet and ive got some amazing in the past.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.
Chemiston
Harmless

Mood: basic like ammonia

[*] posted on 1-6-2016 at 14:57

What is more annoying than the guy who inherited the thing don't know what it is for , is they usually persuade in buying it by saying for example:ha this bottle (rbf really) is used to store vegetables drying them lel(it is just imaginative,never happened to me ever ) and imagine any traces of NaCN ,mercury or uranium ,idont know ,what so ever :)
Duster
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 06:06

Hey I totally agree and love finding a deal. I'm just saying the chemicals are what threw me off a bit. I think ALL of us here would be elated to find anything like this, and probably even sell it ourselves if we wanted, but this is a science board so not exactly an unbiased cross section of the general population.

That being said, I think so far it's a unanimous 'go for it'. Even if you don't like/need/use some things, you could very likely recoup the cost (or even profit) by reselling here or ebay. Not that I'd condone such action (I have way too much crap I used that logic with that I still have laying around. "I might need it some day!").

Duster

Go To Top