Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bubbling HCl gas into water - bubbles not absorbing
RogueRose
International Hazard

sad.gif posted on 12-6-2016 at 13:14
Bubbling HCl gas into water - bubbles not absorbing

Is there a good method to get the HCl gas to dissolve into the water in my graduated cylinder? I took a plastic tube and put lead weights in the bottom & covered with glue. Just above the weights are 4 holes (1/64" in size) drilled 90 degrees apart (around the tube) and the tube has a hose barb.

From the boiling flask I used a stopper with a hose barb. I attached the hose to the plastic tube and submerged the tube in 200ml of DH2O. I had 200ml of muriatic acid in the flask and put it on a hot plate on low (110-120 deg F).

When the bubbles come out, they just travel up the cylinder and escape. I thought they would be absorbed.

Is there anything that can be done to help the gas bubbles absorb into the water?

gradcyl.jpg - 188kB
DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 13:24

Thats not HCl gas that you've got, but air that has expanded from the heated flask
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 13:33

Chances are that once that air has been expelled, you won't even see any more bubbles: HCl absorption is that fast.

[Edited on 12-6-2016 by blogfast25]

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 13:39

As per bloggers, once the Air has been flushed out, the HCl will ram into the water faster than a bulldozer chasing a cowdozer, giving no bubbles at all.

You should see a bubble at the end of the pipe, yet never escape to reach the surface.

Ammonia gas behaves similarly.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 15:36

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
As per bloggers, once the Air has been flushed out, the HCl will ram into the water faster than a bulldozer chasing a cowdozer, giving no bubbles at all.

You should see a bubble at the end of the pipe, yet never escape to reach the surface.

Ammonia gas behaves similarly.

Could be an interesting case for the Diffusion Equation (next up in calculus), when I think about it... (light bulb emoticon)

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-6-2016 at 21:00

Thanks for the replies. I added some litmus paper to cover the top of the cylinder and there was no change in color and I then smelled some air coming of the top of the cylinder and it had no smell.

Now my next problem is I had TOTAL suck-back that was almost instantaneous (through 4 1/64" holes!!!) and the DH2O ended up back in the boiling flask. So I have to figure out how to deal with this suck-back issue.
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 13-6-2016 at 21:11

A suckback trap would work well...

Lead your gas tube into an empty sealed flask (or a jam jar) and lead another tube out of the flask and into your solution.

When suckback occurs the liquid will be sucked into the clean flask and none will end up in the reaction flask, provided the container is big enough.

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 13-6-2016 at 22:09

http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Funnel-and-be...

Smells like ammonia....
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 13-6-2016 at 22:20

That's a good trick too. It doesn't really work though if you're bubbling the gas into a grad cylinder.

It all depends on what your receiver is.

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.

Go To Top