Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sulfur
ni3
Harmless

Mood: decomposing

biggrin.gif posted on 16-9-2006 at 13:57
sulfur

hey guys i was wondering if you can tell me how to make sulfur for the making of Iron Sulfide
Also i need Sodium Hydroxide, So Can You Help Me?

[Edited on 16-9-06 by ni3]

[Edited on 16-9-06 by ni3]
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 16-9-2006 at 14:11

..... BUY the chemicals as they are easy to find over the counter. Sulfur is usually found bound to other elements like iron(fools gold) or mercury(cinibar). The compound can be hydrosized by water and the resulting hydrogen sulfide gas can be oxidized by hydrogen peroxide to yeild sulfur and water.

Use the search engine in the future k thanks have a nice day.

[Edited on 16-9-2006 by DeAdFX]
ni3
Harmless

Mood: decomposing

[*] posted on 16-9-2006 at 15:27

Quote:
Originally posted by DeAdFX
..... BUY the chemicals as they are easy to find over the counter. Sulfur is usually found bound to other elements like iron(fools gold) or mercury(cinibar). The compound can be hydrosized by water and the resulting hydrogen sulfide gas can be oxidized by hydrogen peroxide to yeild sulfur and water.

let me put it this way, i can't buy them.
so i must make them.
ethan_c
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-9-2006 at 15:39

Quote:
Originally posted by ni3
Quote:
Originally posted by DeAdFX

so i must make them.

Not to be a jackass…
UTFSE.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2006 at 19:51

Making sulfur:

Take some ferrous sulfide, treat it with an acid to make H2S - see "Kipps generator". At the same time heat some more ferrous sulfide in a stream of air or oxygen, forming SO2. Mix the H2S and SO2 to form water and sulfur.

Sodium hydroxide: add sodium to water. Stand back. After reaction is over, evaporate the solution in a nickel or silver flask or evaporating dish.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 16-9-2006 at 23:07

Quote:
Originally posted by ni3
so i must make them.

Bullshit, sulfur is available OTC where ever there is agriculture, so unless you live somewhere in a desert you can buy it cheap.
And I agree: UTFSE. Why should others do that for you?

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
ethan_c
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-9-2006 at 11:51

Quote:
Originally posted by not_important
Making sulfur:

Take some ferrous sulfide, treat it with an acid to make H2S - see "Kipps generator". At the same time heat some more ferrous sulfide in a stream of air or oxygen, forming SO2. Mix the H2S and SO2 to form water and sulfur.

Sodium hydroxide: add sodium to water. Stand back. After reaction is over, evaporate the solution in a nickel or silver flask or evaporating dish.

Dude, uh- he says he WANTS the sulfur for making ferrous sulfide :). Which doesn't make a huge amount of sense, since that's just pyrite and its incredibly cheap at any rock store.
Sodium hydroxide is one of the easiest chemicals to acquire OTC; sodium metal not so much. Tossing sodium in water seems like most ineffecient way possible to make the hydroxide…although, if you have enough sodium to throw it away like that, then I am a jealous man.
bereal511
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-9-2006 at 13:09

He's joking...

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-9-2006 at 19:46

Quote:
Originally posted by ethan_c

Dude, uh- he says he WANTS the sulfur for making ferrous sulfide :). Which doesn't make a huge amount of sense, since that's just pyrite and its incredibly cheap at any rock store.
Sodium hydroxide is one of the easiest chemicals to acquire OTC; sodium metal not so much. Tossing sodium in water seems like most ineffecient way possible to make the hydroxide…although, if you have enough sodium to throw it away like that, then I am a jealous man.

Indeed, it was not serious. A circular synthesis just seemed right. The most common OTC sources of sulfur besides elemental agricultural sulfur are gypsum, epsom salts, ammonium sulfate, and ferrous sulfate . I was afraid if I gave the route to sulfur from a sulfate, it might actually be attempted.

Similar for NaOH, doing the washing soda and slaked lime route would be too useful. Although at one time I did have a 55 gallon steel drum near full of bars of sodium (sigh)
bereal511
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-9-2006 at 20:40

What?! How did you obtain so much sodium? That's quite an impressive amount, where did it all end up?

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2006 at 06:52

Through a long complicated chain of events that included a specialties alloys company shutting down, and a reseller who bought stuff from salvage companies to resell and discovered they had bought a few things that weren't what they thought it was, and wanted to be rid of said items quickly.

It went away after I had moved to a place where I couldn't store a steel drum like that, or the searchlight, and had left it at some friends - in desparation because the friend with a truck was leaving town, and I didn't want to find someone else who would not ask about a 200 kilo metal drum that 'thumped' as you roll-walked it. Some months after leaving the drum at new storage location, the wife panicked, having become increasingly afraid that it was going to explode, and called the fire brigade. (sniff, sob)

But between thost times ...

Go To Top