Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rescued idodine prep
Cabalaba
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2016 at 04:57
Rescued idodine prep

So I had about 1200mL of a 2% Iodine tincture. The solutions were a mixture of a translucent yellowish color and dark iodine color.

Using 1 part H202, 3 parts HCl, and 9 parts tincture, I added about 420mL HCl (36%) to 1260mL I-tincture. Then about 120mL H2O2 slowly. As the H2O2 was added, as usual a deep deep purple followed the liquid trail. However after stirring and sitting over night, I was left with a semi-translucent solution.

Going back through the references, I found the HCl was supposed to be 30%, meaning I added the equivalent of 500-540mL of HCl. Knowing the pKa difference is logarithmic, I though the unusual acidity was to blame.

So this more morning I added 0.1M KOH to see if anything would happen. after the first few clumps fizzed in, leaving a purple trail behind, I slowly added the rest.

Now Im not sure I added enough of a base to recover the I2 but when I left I could see the tell tale signs of I2 falling to the bottom of the beaker.

I mentioning this for a few reasons, A) Im a dipshit, neuroscientists should know their place, and B) should I expect any peroxides or other side products I may not want? I know with the unknowns in the tinctures, anything could happen, but perhaps someone can provide some insight,

And before you say it, i know not double checking HCl molarity and adding the KOH was beyond dumb but I figure you'd be the right guys to ask.

The kick in the ass is Ive done this before on the same scale, albeit with 1 type of tincture (agriculture grade). I miss going to cattle supply stores and buying a couple of quarts of 2% I2 for about 20$
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 17-6-2016 at 10:59

There shouldn't be any side products. Hydrochloric acid may slowly react with hydrogen peroxide and evolve chlorine, but this does not get in the way of anything. Iodine peroxide does not exist, neither does ethanol peroxide.

Also, hydrochloric acid isn't necessary for this. Acetic acid is sufficient. You simply need something to get rid of KOH that results from KI being oxidized.

Smells like ammonia....
Cabalaba
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-6-2016 at 12:14

So if I left it for a week or more, the I2 would have come out evenually.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 17-6-2016 at 17:02

I abso-muh-lutely LOVE potassium iodide off of eBay. CHEAP, unregulated, and high yield. No watch lists, and a 10 minute process (for crude crystals anyway). I needed 2 grams of I2 the other day. I tossed 4 gm KI in my lil 150ml flask, added about 30 ml water, swirled, 10ml HCl (hardware store), and then just dribbled peroxide til the color went away and had my crystals. The DEA are morons.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Go To Top