Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: ChemPlayer the story and the end for now
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 21:30

If you'd read the last 20 posts in this thread you'd have seen that we are well aware of ChemPlayer's tragic demise, and that Velzee has already uploaded a nearly complete archive of their videos, available to download until they can become uploaded more permanently on another site.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 21:44

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Apologies for dominating this thread. the whole situation pisses me off.

Chemplayer goes, but this trash remains.

And of course I am divided on whether to report it because (a) the drug synth information is already out there and (b) it will merely reinforce the YT policy of shutting down chem.

The worrying thing is that i think that was a nilered video.... (I haven't actually watched it though)
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 21:50

No. The channel name is Walter White. (rolleyes) He does use a NileRed-ish black background.
It was one of a few meth synths that came up when I was searching to see if anyone had duplicated and reposted chemplayer videos. (There are a couple.)
The association between amateur chem and methamphetamines is quite clearly present in YT's categorisation of videos. If that association was somehow severed we would be a whole lot better off. (Thanks Walter White for using a style so similar to Nile.)

Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 21:53

Yeah, that walter white one is infuriating. It looks exactly like nilered's - that could be some serious negative associations.

Edit:
Just watched parts of the video. From what little I know about org. chem, it seems to all be scientifically correct... How sad.
11 months...

[Edited on 28-4-2018 by Vosoryx]

[Edited on 28-4-2018 by Vosoryx]

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 21:58

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
No. The channel name is Walter White. (rolleyes) He does use a NileRed-ish black background.
It was one of a few meth synths that came up when I was searching to see if anyone had duplicated and reposted chemplayer videos. (There are a couple.)
The association between amateur chem and methamphetamines is quite clearly present in YT's categorisation of videos. If that association was somehow severed we would be a whole lot better off. (Thanks Walter White for using a style so similar to Nile.)

i clicked on it. its a nile red video- look at the phosphorus container in his methyl iodide video and that one- they're the same. Plus, listen to the voice

[Edited on 28-4-2018 by HeYBrO]
CobaltChloride
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 22:03

That video is NileRed's. He removed it a while ago and it seems that this Walter white just re-uploaded it. He said that he removed it because he was afraid he'll get a strike for it.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 27-4-2018 at 22:14

Dang, HeYBrO. You may well be right now that I have clicked on it. If it is Nile then I am disappointed.

So how is it that something with "methamphetamine synthesis" in the title sticks around for a year when thunderf00t's "naked electrons" gets flagged and taken down twice in one week?

phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 28-4-2018 at 05:06

I would not think it impossible that "naked electrons" got flagged for nudity.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-4-2018 at 06:10

I think you're all being a bit too hard on poor NileRed, did any of you actually watch the linked video? it's in no way a tutorial on how to cook meth or an encouragement to cook meth, he simply explores the chemistry in the same way all his other videos do.

I personally think he did a good of remaining unbiased and focusing purely on the science of such a taboo subject.

The guy clearly gets off on chemistry, not meth
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 28-4-2018 at 10:23

Yes, it was. When i first saw it i was in a public place and had to mute the audio. I saw that the science was correct, but it wasn't a tutorial, it was focused on the science.

I jumped to unjust conclusions.

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
CaptainMolo
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 14:59

Quote: Originally posted by Vosoryx  
This pisses me off.
To chemplayer, I would like to offer my incredible thanks. Your videos, as incredibly entertaining as they have been, have given me great knowledge. I enjoyed each and every one of them, and my only regret in this regard is that I didn't get to see them all.
To everyone who backed their videos up, I would just like to say thanks. (Especially Velzee!) I will be getting a copy of them once the traffic dies down.
I hope that the same doesn't happen to other channels, but I know it soon will.
Best of luck to all future and current science content creators... you'll need it in this upcoming era of anti-science that the world seems to be moving towards.

Well said Vosoryx! I'm really worried for NurdRage and NileRed. I didn't think this would happen to a creator like ChemPlayer. I expected this nonsense to happen to people doing explosives and questionably legal activities, but ChemPlayer's videos were so polished and professional. I honestly had ZERO idea that they didn't start out as professional chemists. The authority of their knowledge base belied their years of experience.

I keep wishing I'll find out that they were able to appeal it somehow, but I'm unsure if that's possible since it's past the 3 strikes now and they've actually been taken down. I've already started looking into alternatives, like MINDS, but I recently found out that there's a 15 minute video limit. Plus uploading has been super slow and unreliable so far, so I don't expect that to catch on unless it gets significantly better in terms of performance.

ChemPlayer mentioned BitChute as something they were experimenting with. Has anyone had any experience with them? Any good as a platform?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Find me on BitChute, YouTube and MINDS as "Full Modern Alchemist"
gravityzero
Hazard to Self

Mood: forgetful

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 15:22
Videos Archived

Community,

I often make archives of content I feel might disappear.
I have on hand 182 videos of Chemplayer in 720p @ 30fps.
The Folder is 16.4GBs in size. If anyone needs my help with this let me know.

I normally backup in 720p due to the amount of storage space videos require.
I also other channels archived in 720p or the best that was available.
Most of the other channels are still online, but I like to play it safe.

Chemplayer - 720p
Doug's Lab - 720p
LaFFle - 720p
MYST32 - 480
Nile Red - 720p
Nurd Rage - 720p
NUX - 720p
TDC - 720p
UC235 - 480p

If a moderator needs my assistance in getting this files out, please send a U2U.
Not sure the best way to go about it, but I'm here to help the community.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 15:42

This is awesome, gravityzero.
What is the best way for users to access this resource?

If you could U2U me a list of the chemplayer videos you have then I could do a comparison with the ones Velzee has made available and put together a list of the 24 vids that he does not have.

gravityzero
Hazard to Self

Mood: forgetful

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 15:51
Clarification

I want to clarify the statement I made earlier.
I have an offline backup of this material.

I do not have links to this material for download.
I do not have online space to provide that amount of data.

I am willing to upload, and take the time to upload, the entire archive.
The moderators or the community will need to devise a storage location.
Provide me access in a U2U and I will upload the content.

Alternatively, if someone can suggest another method of delivery, please suggest.
Thanks for undestanding.
FlaskBreaker
Harmless

Mood: Convoluted

sad.gif posted on 29-4-2018 at 20:04
Rest in Peace ChemPlayer

One of my chemistry channels (and I'm sure your's too), ChemPlayer, has been terminated from YouTube. Hours of humorous, educational, and interesting content has been lost. I made this discovery when I was going through my subscription feed. This devastating loss has me wondering: Are other channels such as Doug's Lab next?

I hope someone managed to fill an external hard drive full of their videos, because this content is way too valuable to simply go away.

I wish YouTube would realize that the chemistry community is here to have fun, learn, and teach others; not make bombs.

Rest in peace ChemPlayer. I hope someday you return again.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 20:09

Got em all!!

Do you know why they pulled them down? Are any other channels in jeopardy? If so, LMK which ones so I can rip them.

[Edited on 4-30-2018 by RogueRose]
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 29-4-2018 at 21:27

There is an active thread discussing Chemplayer's disappearance. I will merge the two together.

On the matter of preserving channels, there are some efforts going on here

j_sum1
Administrator
Threads Merged
29-4-2018 at 21:29
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 01:07

Thanks everyone for your kind support. We view this as a minor setback but the economics of the internet are now resulting in a huge wave of centralisation, and with that the inevitable metamorphosis of 'YouTube' into 'TheirTube'. You can say you were there. The icing on the cake was the cute way in which YT finally shut us down; not just the YT channel termination but a complete Google account and email lock-out and a demand for a phone number in order to 're-authenticate' with no other way to login and no way to appeal. So that's it - fin.

We'll continue to upload the old videos to BitChute (https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/). The quality at BC is not ideal so we'll look carefully for a longer-term solution. No rush. You know you can find us around here at SM from time to time and on Twitter as well (https://twitter.com/ChemPlayer1) and we'll post if there are any updates to the situation. We'll continue to watch our favourite Chem YT channels but we'll be commenting under a different username now. Good luck to all you other YT'ers - we hope you don't have to lower your souls in order to continue on the platform.

In the meantime anyone wanting to host / distribute / archive any of our old videos has our permission; knowledge must be free and public. We ourselves have a full secure archive of all materials, videos and source footage, and one day have an ambition to remaster everything in beautiful high quality 1080p. Maybe we'll even get a narrator... or maybe not. Trolling the 'hate the robot' comments during a morning coffee was one of the highlights.

We also have a backup of all YT statistics, comments, messages, subscribers list, etc. as well for our own memories and info. For the moment other projects are taking all our time and priority but I (as there is now only one of us active) plan to continue with occasional videos later in the year. A bit of the income from our other projects has already been invested in some fun new equipment put away ready for the future, so stay tuned.

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
damanifesto
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-5-2018 at 07:58

Chemplayer, are the files from the google drive account (now restricted) posted anywhere else that we may access them?
BaFuxa
Hazard to Self

Mood: Buzzing

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 11:18

Just found out about Chemplayer's termination. I am so angry as I wanted to watch a video for a synthesis I had planned. I hope it gets resolved with youtube. given the current environment I think it would be nice to have a science madness video archive or even a section of the site dedicated to videos. Youtube is getting very PC these days and anything not picket-fence is at risk. If they do not want us then we can always have our own independent country nothing is stopping us. I know I would financially contribute to make it happen, videos are invaluable.

Potential counts for nothing until realized.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 11:51

Well you're in luck, it's already happened: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=82...

Eventually the site should get migrated to sciencemadness.org

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 19:17

It's really too bad that YouTube deleted Chemplayer's account. I'm thankful that people are saving the content from this excellent chemistry channel.

It seems that YouTube has became even more restrictive of content (especially science) over the last 6-12 months.

I also suspect that YT has a way of playing favorites, letting some channels (e.g. King of Random) post "inappropriate content" because they have so many views. If a channel is a major source of ad revenue for YouTube, then I think they let them get away with more.

But I also think there is an element of chance to getting videos "flagged." Suppose 10 people with the same number of views, same "don't do this yourself" disclaimers, etc. all made videos on for example, making gunpowder. Some would get their videos taken down sooner then others, and some would not have them taken down at all. I don't think making a worse video (e.g. a video on drugs, making an actual bomb, etc) will get them to delete it that much faster. If it's against the rules even a bit, they will block it as soon as they can. Who they block first seems sort of random. So, another possible way to get around the regulations is just to make a new channel, with a slightly different name and upload your videos again! They might eventually take it down again, but even with their tighter current enforcement, it might (or might not) be for a long time. YouTube doesn't have a way to find and remove every video with illegal drugs, nudity, violence, dangerous stupid stunts, weapons, or science education, which seem to all be "against the community guidelines." Next time YouTube deletes a channel, perhaps it will be something else, like the "Walter White" one that re-uploaded that NileRed video. Though it may not be permanent, It might be worth putting the ChemPlayer content back on YouTube!
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 01:37

We may do an experiment just to test this but it is known that YT does have a way of digitally fingerprinting every video (and audio) in order to help them manage copyright conflicts. We suspect that they would probably use the same technology to identify 'reposts' for blocked channels. No time right now to test this out though.

BitChute upload is coming along steadily though, and the ScienceMadness open-source driven channel is extremely promising. So no problems, the show goes on.

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 02:24

Yes, I believe that technology exists and is used by YouTube, but it only applies to videos that have been directly removed by a strike, and is then reuploaded on the same channel. I have reuploaded videos that were removed by strikes on the old channel onto my new 'slightly rebranded' channel without issue.

But it is YouTube we are talking about, they could change their mind in the next 10 minutes and I'm gone again.
Assured Fish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Misanthropic

[*] posted on 4-5-2018 at 14:07

Wait, i see people have collected all the videos of the larger more mainstream chemistry channel but has anyone backed up explosions&fire's videos.
Given the nature of his videos and our paranoid witch burning societal ideology, these videos are at risk of also being purged from the interweb.
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top