Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Simple organic chem book?
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-7-2016 at 04:27
Simple organic chem book?

Anyone recommend a good basic organic chem book for a complete beginner? I would love to learn some organic chemistry but it seems to get complex very quickly, i also find the symbols and mix between old and new styles of writing the symbols confusing.

Thank you in advance
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 15-7-2016 at 05:38

Any edition of McMurry's Organic Chemistry is just what you want. It provides a thorough systematic intro for the true neophyte. Older editions are available for just a couple of dollars. It is currently on the 8th edition, but they are all good.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2016 at 06:40

Thanks i will try and grab one.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2016 at 06:46

I am looking for a secondhand copy on abe books, but for now i am downloading a copy in PDF.

I like to have a paper copy for my library as well.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2016 at 07:35

Downloaded 7th and the study guide,i have also downloaded the 8th addition but couldnt find the study guide for it.

Having a look at the PDF i think its defiantly a book i need to get in paper format. Some books you can read easy enough on the screen, this seems one of those you need to sit down with in a quiet room and really 'read' it.

Looks like a great book though, i will look on amazon and abe books, they normally have ex library versions of text books in great condition for a fraction of the normal retail price.

I am slowly building a small library up, but alot of the Organic chem books i have are not noob level at all.

I kind of regret not taking chemistry at school, my decision was based on the fact that sciences at my school for my age group (15 this week), dont do ANY practical lesson's.

All practical science lessons are now simply slide shows on power point of experiments the teacher has done and make a power point of, you get tto do 2 real practical lessons in the year.

Having talked to people who do chemistry at school most find the 5 lesson periods a week completely boring, even 2 friends who love chemistry cant stand the lessons.
Real shame that science in our school has been turned into a purely theoretical subject, 4 of us (2 do chemistry at school 2 dont) are trying to get a chemistry club set up.

We have a teacher willing to do it but we would have to pay for the chemicals we use and a fixed amount for using the school labs. Its not much but we need 6 people and most people we have spoke to dont want to pay £20 a term for a 2 hour twice a week club, plus the chemical cost on top.

On the other hand if i can teach myself using resources like SM and books, then the sense of achievement will be greater.

I also seem to have made friends with the science technician's at school, two in particular are really helpful and been a great help.
diggafromdover
Hazard to Self

Mood: Inconherent

[*] posted on 15-7-2016 at 12:15

I studied OC back in the 70's. Got back into it recently and have derived much enjoyment spelunking through old lab manuals. They are long on practical details and it is interesting to see how they used to think before we got all green.

For a text, the best I have seen lately is the Gorzynski book with the Ginko on the cover:

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-Janice-Gorzynski-Sm...

It's not an easy subject. The language is dense and cryptic. 3 lines in Vogel might turn into 2 pages in a lab manual. There is an unbelievable amount of detail. Just keep reading, reading, reading...

Enjoying second childhood with REAL chemistry set.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-7-2016 at 12:50

Quote: Originally posted by diggafromdover  
I studied OC back in the 70's. Got back into it recently and have derived much enjoyment spelunking through old lab manuals. They are long on practical details and it is interesting to see how they used to think before we got all green.

For a text, the best I have seen lately is the Gorzynski book with the Ginko on the cover:

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-Janice-Gorzynski-Sm...

It's not an easy subject. The language is dense and cryptic. 3 lines in Vogel might turn into 2 pages in a lab manual. There is an unbelievable amount of detail. Just keep reading, reading, reading...

The McMurry's Organic Chemistry i downloaded seems really good, i think it does need some reading on 'normal' chemistry first though.

I started reading it and suddenly found gaps in my knowledge about the periodic table etc, so i have also got hold of a copy of a more general chemistry text.

I have Vogel 3rd in hard back and 5th in pdf, they are great for experiments but i wanted something to explain the reactions in a simple way.

The McMurry's Organic Chemistry seems to fit well with this, the seventh with study guide is great, the eighth is good but i couldnt find a study guide for it.

Now i just got to wait for ebay/Amazon copy to appear :D

I will look out for a copy of the book you mentioned

Go To Top