Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Good obtainable acids and bases?
freddurgan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-9-2006 at 22:55
Good obtainable acids and bases?

It seems like HCl and NaOH are almost impossible to find. Can anyone help me find where to locate these, or suggest some good alternatives?

Thanks
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2006 at 23:47

Large hardware stores are starting points, HCl around the paint solvents while NaOH is in plumbing along with other drain openers; you might find H2SO4 there as well. Some also carry 10% to 15% aqueous ammonia.

As is being discussed on another thread, you can make your own NaOH starting with sodium carbonate, AKA washing soda or soda ash for potters or by roasting sodium bicarbonate, and calcium hydroxide, AKA slaked lime or type-S lime.
ethan_c
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-9-2006 at 07:53

Quote:
Originally posted by freddurgan
It seems like HCl and NaOH are almost impossible to find. Can anyone help me find where to locate these, or suggest some good alternatives?

For me anyways, HCl and NaOH are some of the only chemicals easily obtainable OTC.
Go to any hardware store and ask for 'muriatic acid' and they will sell you 35-37% for something like $3 a gallon, same thing with NaOH, concentrated solution is many brands of drain opener, again cheap as hell. And this is in California!

Now you want to talk about nitric acid…find me an OTC source, and I will find you a generous 'tip' in your bank account.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 28-9-2006 at 08:18

many Hydroponics shops with do Nitric acid too, it`s only 38% but it`s ok for most applications, it`s sold as PH Down, or words to that effect, just look about for acids that lower PH in hard water areas, it`s usualy Nitric acid :)

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 28-9-2006 at 16:36

The pH down product is around 2M. Conc nitric can be had from lapidary suppliers, but its expensive and not ususally just on the shelves, it in back somewhere. Mine keeps meticulous records about it though, but its 5 years later after buying some, and no harm done so far.
enhzflep
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-9-2006 at 17:29

I buy 70% nitric for $65 for 2.5L or $160 for 15L.

It is a little expensive, however it's over the counter and with cash. :cool:
Haven't checked to see how common they are, but try checking out an
etching supplies shop. In tafe we used it to etch sterling silver plate and to refine 9, 10, 14 and 18ct golds in a process known as quartering.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 28-9-2006 at 17:50

It is amazing how little nitric costs if you are a university. 10$ for 2.5L:o Professors won't directly sell me stuff(yet!), but they have been known to accept bartering.:P Thats how I got my most recent bottle of acid.
Wont sell me acid but give me thorium nitrate for free...go figure.

[Edited on 29-9-2006 by rogue chemist]
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 28-9-2006 at 18:00

I know of one place that sells nitric acid but it's a minimum order type thing. I have a friend who does a lot of gold and silver refining and buys directly from them. It's a $250ish deposit for the stainless steel keg, but it's only 33 dollars for 15 gallons of 67% white nitric acid (the deposit you get back when you return the keg). PM if you'd like the supplier's name.

Go To Top