Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-7-2016 at 00:14
wikipedia page about Vinyl acetate

Hi
so i was reading the wikipedia page for the vinyl acetate,
when i saw this

Quote:

Upon combustion it releases toxic fumes which have been demonstrated to be toxic, containing hydrogen cyanide among other toxins.

there is no nitrogen atom in that molecule, why the heck did someone wrote this in the first place, there is no concevable way that hydrogen cyanide is produced by the combustion of vinyl acetate.
what is your thought about this ?

[Edited on 20-7-2016 by nelsonB]
CRUSTY
Hazard to Others

Mood: High-Order

[*] posted on 20-7-2016 at 04:29

That's odd. They don't have a reference for it either. I couldn't find any references to this occurring, and the redundant nature of the "toxic fumes which have been demonstrated to be toxic" makes me think it might have been a confused mistake. I am kind of curious is anybody can find the basis of this though. I cannot think of any type of combustion reaction that would cause this, and this resulting from combustion in a nitrogen-containing atmosphere such as our own is incredibly unlikely.

"I've made a huge mistake"

Check out my YouTube channel ("spectrofreak") here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUlsCGK8d9UTjZA5DJ5a3A
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-7-2016 at 06:45

Someone likely copied that from an MSDS, which most of are boilerplate, and contain many useless warnings. Reading an MSDS is like listening to someone shout "fire" or "the sky is falling" endlessly. I had one for Corn Oil the other day that had many of the same warnings as for most hazardous chemicals, including causing cancer, eye irritant, and keep away from children. Apparently that stir fry is very dangerous for you.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 20-7-2016 at 15:22

Indeed.

Entries all looks the same.

There are so many warnings, about so many materials....that it is impossible to know the difference between which things are actually very very dangerous, and which things are generally considered....delicious to eat.

Which is why, when I need useful info, I ask you guys.

Go To Top