Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Epoxies & "mixed" glues/ureathanes - chemical transition when mixed & ability to break-down
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2016 at 15:48
Epoxies & "mixed" glues/ureathanes - chemical transition when mixed & ability to break-down

I'm curious about what happens when a 2 part epoxy is mixed. I'm sure that it is different for all of them. I had some that was a BPA & epichlorohydrin mix and it produced a lot of heat when a "fair" amount was pooled together (say 1/4" deep). It got so hot it would burn fingers to the touch. I'm curious what the resulting compound is and if it can be broken down back into the original compounds or other compounds.

I'm also curious about polyureathane resins that are used for things like fiberglass matting (It's some resin mixed with a few drops of MEKP) & the same question about what it forms and can it be broken down into original or other compounds.
Orenousername
Hazard to Self

Mood: Regulated

[*] posted on 25-7-2016 at 23:49

Bondo brand fiberglass resin is composed of mostly polyester with styrene monomer(stabalized I believe) and is cured using MEKP. Styrene can be distilled out fairly easily but will be contaminated with dimers/trimers/short chain polymers. Vacuum distillation is necessary if no volatile stabilizing agent is used and a pure product is desired.

Lol nerds
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
26-7-2016 at 05:13

Go To Top