Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Niacin from nicotine?
JnPS
Hazard to Self

Mood: Umpolung

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 19:42
Niacin from nicotine?

I heard in a Doug's lab video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNsqYwzm40M that niacin is the hydrolysis product of nicotine, hence why its sometime's called nicotinic acid. So this got me thinking-

Is there a way to convert nicotine to niacin? I couldn't find anything through google on this subject or anywhere else. Does anybody have any sort of abbreviated procedure? I live near a vape shop and they agreed they could sell me pure nicotine dissolved in propylene glycol but were anxious about giving me pure nicotine itself. I want the niacin to make pyridine like the video and am well aware that powdered niacin is easily available but I'm curious as to whether I could start with nicotine->niacin->pyridine

[Edited on 31-7-2016 by JnPS]

[Edited on 31-7-2016 by JnPS]
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 20:04

Yes, you can prepare niacin from nicotine, if you oxidise it using HNO3.
Sorry I can´t find the reference for that, but it´s definitely possible.
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 20:14

Do you know if it would work with a solution of nicotine in propylene glycol? or should I separate the two and add the HNO3 slowly to the nicotine, probably in a 1:1 molar ratio or maybe keep the acid in slight excess?
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 21:53

How much nicotine is in the solution (I'm assuming e-liquid)? Keep in mind that pure nicotine is rather toxic and absorbs through the skin, and that although oxidation with nitric acid would work, it would also oxidize the propylene glycol to a complex mixture of products which would likely be difficult to separate.

Remember, niacin is pretty cheap online, and so if all you're looking for is an easy source of pyridine, buying niacin and decarboxylating that is likely the way to go.
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 05:27

The highest concentration they could give me is 24 mg/mL in a 30mL bottle, I'm not really set on getting pyridine, I have some uses for it but mostly I just want to explore the first part of this, the nicotine->niacin, because I wasn't able to find any literature on the subject; otherwise you're right I would just buy niacin powder.
halogen
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 15:06

:o

F. de Lalande and M. Prud'homme showed that a mixture of boric oxide and sodium chloride is decomposed in a stream of dry air or oxygen at a red heat with the evolution of chlorine.
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 16:53

Update: They agreed to let me have 10mL's of pure nicotine solution (something like 98%) after giving me "the talk" on safety and making sure I had the right kind of gloves, etc...

So does anyone have any knowledge on doing this? I'm assuming what I mentioned before would work with dripping a slight excess of acid into nicotine, like maybe 1.1mol HNO3:1mol Nicotine, and then neutralize the acid with something like 5% NaHCO3 and filter to recover the niacin. Would there be any byproducts to separate from what makes up the other 2% of the solution if it(propylene glycol) gets oxidized as well?
bobm4360
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-7-2016 at 22:08

Here's a procedure form OrgSyn...http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=CV1P0385
JnPS
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 03:47

Thank you!
battoussai114
Hazard to Others

Mood: Not bad.... Not bad.

[*] posted on 1-8-2016 at 07:00

There seems to be a paper, referenced in the Plant Alkaloids book from the library, on the American Chem. Society, 1941, 63, 115. By Rayburn, H. and H. That studies the effect of UV oxidation of nicotine to a mix of niacin, nicotine oxide and methylamine. Seems interesting.

Batoussai.
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 00:45

Nicotine from niacin would also be interesting.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username

Go To Top