Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Color of neodymium ions and precipitates
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 12:55
Color of neodymium ions and precipitates

Yesterday I posted the results of experimenting with palladium. I also received some neodymium metal, and this ion also has nice interesting properties. I also want to share that result with you:

http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/solutions/nd.html

Now my set of pages on solutions of metal ions again is a little more complete ;)

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 13:48

I've always thought it would be neat to play with some plutonium samples as it has an insane array of colors in its various oxidation states. Sadly, the substantial toxicity of it and the illegallity of owning it kind of puts a damper on those things. ;)

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 20:02

As we all have come to expect, you found more interesting element chemistry that I had not heard of before. The K-prussiate stuff.

A while back I made the carbonate of neodymium, but did not wash it well enough, so on the filter it dried into a really shiny purple plate. I found it unusual. Better washed samples are just the expected light purple powder.

Plutonium would be fun....in a glove box.

Apparently my university has an underground radiation lab which has been sealed for many years after some accidents. Supposedly the reagents are still down there, plutonium compounds, americium compounds and more. They don't want to pay for clean up, so they just sealed it and now with all the buildings being torn down, and now ones erected, they just work around it. I have been trying to social engineer a tour. The padlock on that door is HUGE.
Waffles
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 21:30

Quote:
Originally posted by rogue chemist
Apparently my university has an underground radiation lab which has been sealed for many years after some accidents. Supposedly the reagents are still down there, plutonium compounds, americium compounds and more. They don't want to pay for clean up, so they just sealed it and now with all the buildings being torn down, and now ones erected, they just work around it. I have been trying to social engineer a tour. The padlock on that door is HUGE.

How can you NOT take that padlock as a personal challenge?!

I'm taking a bus to wherever you live.

\"…\'tis man\'s perdition to be safe, when for the truth he ought to die.\"
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2006 at 22:16

Interesting thing about the REE 3+ ion colours is that the absorption bands in the visable and near-UV are quite narrow, although they may strong; this is what makes the colours rather pastel and pale. The transistions that are causing the absorption are electrons that are screen by the outermost electrons and thus somewhat isolated from the chemical environment. The bands resemble those expected from a very thick layer of ions as a gas.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 4-10-2006 at 09:34

IIRC, neodymium also happens to strongly absorb sodium d-line, convienient for brazing aluminum with sodium fluxes. ;)

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 4-10-2006 at 19:04

The problem I find with this and some other metals is working with them. I have a 2.2 pound chunk of Nd in a big can of oil. I have yet to find a decent way to cut a piece off, that stuff is amazingly hard. I spent quite a while hacksawing off a piece to experiment with, did give me a nice pile of filings. I noticed however that there were bits of paint from the saw blade and for all I know metal contamination from wearing the teeth on the saw. If anyone has an easy way to cut this stuff without contamination I would like to know it.
enhzflep
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-10-2006 at 19:16

Wondering just how thick this brick is IrC. At work, we had a similar problem - in terms of contamination and time.

We were pouring 100-150 gm ingots of 9ct and 18ct gold. The best approach that we ever found was to wrap the ingot in paper toweling before pounding with a reasonably heavy sledge-hammer and cutting with big-ass bolt cutters.

I managed to pick up an old set of Record(made in England before I was born) bolt-cutters with 28inch long handles and about 1 1/2 inches of jaw opening. All for the bargain price of $50 Aus. The jaws have been damaged and reground, hence the reduced cutting ability, but they're sufficient for my purposes.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 4-10-2006 at 19:17

In the lab I worked at we used a greasy(with mineral oil) bandsaw to cut neodymium and higher rare earth ingots. The cut was greased much with the oil, otherwise sparks/shavings fire commenced.

La and Ce must be cut by hand....Its like the 4th of july if you put those through a bandsaw...I should have made a movie of the attempt there. They are only able to be cut with a hand hacksaw sawblade which has had the paint dissolved off or scraped off. Bigger teeth on the saw is better. Constant greasing of the cut is necessary, otherwise the shavings catch fire...I accidently set a roll of paper towels on fire because I was...uh...enjoying the sparking and not paying attention. Overall I had to slice through the cerium and lanthanum 1kg ingots about 10 times each....good workout, and I got to keep some filings if I could collect them without them catching fire.(did not get much, a couple g at most)

I am glad the rare earths arent too toxic....so many metal shaving fires...:o

[Edited on 5-10-2006 by rogue chemist]

Go To Top