Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A bit of PdCl2 solution stained my skin... how much should I worry?
JensenJ
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-8-2016 at 10:42
A bit of PdCl2 solution stained my skin... how much should I worry?

I got a small bit of concentrated PdCl2 aqua regia solution on my skin. While I managed to wipe and wash most of it off, parts of my hands have a stained orange color to them. I know PdCl2 and most lewis acid salts are somewhat cancerous and toxic, but how much should I be worried to spill such a small amount? I've washed my hands about 10x with soap and hot water and the residual orange color isn't going anywhere.

Since it's a small amount and just a one time exposure, I'm not worried too much, but I wanted to ask anyways.

[Edited on 8-8-2016 by JensenJ]
myristicinaldehyde
Hazard to Others

Mood: сорок пять

[*] posted on 8-8-2016 at 12:37

About the PdCl I would not be too worried. The LD50 is something like 2g/kilo when consumed. It is a skin sensitizer, so maybe don't take a sunbath in the very close future.

However, I'd ask, you know, someone trained in medicine.

The MSDS http://www.nwmissouri.edu/naturalsciences/sds/p/Palladium%20...

More importantly,
Who the hell handles AQUA REGIA without gloves?! Just wear gloves! Are there acid burns?
battoussai114
Hazard to Others

Mood: Not bad.... Not bad.

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 11:03

Isn't the orange color from nitration of skin pigments by the HNO3 or something? Washing won't remove it.

Batoussai.
Oscilllator
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 15:47

Quote: Originally posted by battoussai114  
Isn't the orange color from nitration of skin pigments by the HNO3 or something? Washing won't remove it.

Yep. I've got nitric acid on my skin before, and it did permanently stain the top layer orange so I'm pretty sure the staining has nothing to do with the Pd content of your solution. You'll just have to wait until the top layer of your skin falls off as part of its natural shedding process.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 16:32

No, that's [HNO3] a vivid yellow.

The orange is Pd and it will slowly go to a dark brown. Gold is purple, silver is usually brown to grey-black.

Just be glad it's not a Pt solution, those are indeed intensely allergenic solutions.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron

Go To Top