Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8
Author: Subject: Tetramine copper perchlorate help?
Tyneman
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 00:43

Hey all.
I've been reading here for a long time. Now I couldn't resist posting.
I made some CHP by first making some TACP by tumbler method. Then converting it to CHP by porridge method. I will be making it directly in the near future, But I wanted to do both preparations separately this time.

I love the stuff. It's non-toxic, environmental friendly and safe to handle. Only downside IMO is that it takes a lot to go DDT. I am used to making a det from a drinking straw with 0,5g PETN and 0,02g PbN3. I upgraded to 4mm Al tubes. But this here is a different story.

I made a det like I normally do. Just used about 0,2g PETN pressed at about 50Kg for the plug. 0,1g CHP pressed at 50Kg and 0,2g CHP @ 1Kg. A bit of fencepost prime and a fuse for ignition. Fuse was rolled thicker with maskingtape and crimped hard af.
That was a big failure. Just a spray from the fuse hole.

Allso made one like LL suggested. 8mm copper, small Al plug, 0,2g PETN @ 50Kg, 0,2g CHP @ 50Kg, 0,3g CHP @ 1Kg. Bickfort fuse rolled thicker with electrical tape. (Goes way faster then masking tape) And crimped it tight.

I believe this one did go DDT.
It just feels like overkill to me to use such a big det. So my question Is: How small a detonator can we (I) make. Smaller ID, less CHP (although its so cheap and safe), and preferably some other material as copper.

https://i.imgur.com/Snbwjdc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OVq7lLC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KuAPPJt.jpg

Indent on a 4mm thick steel plate. Det placed perpendicular on the surface. No hole, I still believe it went DDT.
https://i.imgur.com/Y8B1dtc.jpg

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by Tyneman]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 04:51

Quote: Originally posted by snooby  
Dokter, what about the fiberglass crossbow bolts tubes? Would these tubes make a chance.

I remember I saw a post on SM years ago where someone wanted to use the aluminium tube of his arrows for the same purpose.
I'd try fiberglass if I were you. Share the results if you do !

My own recommendation is that you go to your nearest model / RC shop.
You'll be amazed how many bars and tubes they usually have. Brass, copper, aluminum of several sizes and thicknesses. You'll leave with what you were looking for and probably more...
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 27-3-2019 at 07:28
CHP

CHP works even in diameter 4 mm / 6 mm copper tube, or same diameter steel tube. Pressing is smaller, for example output segment 25 Kg and DDT segment 0,5 Kg. Maybe is possible also use Aluminium thin cavity and over deploy fiberglass tube. Or use fiberglass tube only. Here is example using both copper tubes and Booster 4,5 g. Even this small detonator, works reliable.

Cavity Cu.jpg - 123kB

Your detonators look horrible. Especially Copper is too short. Will better use as plug some glue on metal. And longer cavity.

short det.jpg - 201kB

[Edited on 27-3-2019 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

However, detonator on the CHP base (system Berta) is especially for construction electric initiation. And not for non quality amateur fuse type detonator.

hot line.jpg - 99kB

hotline.jpg - 191kB

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2019 at 08:17

That last picture is really intriguing LL. How did you make such amazing sparks!? What does your bridge look like?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2019 at 08:33

Last picture is specimen, sample for explanation. Downloaded from stop video. Bridge is from scourer for dishes. Is it flat ferro-steel wire with nickel surface. Very cheap, very available, soldering very easy. From one the scourer you can do 500 - 1000 hot bridges. Available in any shop. And prarctically free...:cool:...LL

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Tyneman
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-4-2019 at 12:42

Quote:
Your detonators look horrible.

I am sorry LL. I really hope you find these next ones to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Quote:
However, detonator on the CHP base (system Berta) is especially for construction electric initiation.

I did find this picture you posted using Bickfort (Or Monetti)fuse.

That is the construction I used for the detonators. Casing was 6mm ID 8mm OD Al tubing from the hardware store. 8mm Copper just doesn't feel right to me.

I used different bottom sections for each.
1 0,2g PETN @ >50Kg
2 0,3g CHP @ >50Kg
3 0,3g CHP/PETN 60/40 @ >50Kg

4 was as pictured with electric ignition

Since I can not roll out 10+ meter leads without people asking questions I really favor the fuse-type detonators.

Results were satisfying. Dets placed perpendicular on a 4mm steel plate.

left to right 1, 2 and 3

Top to bottom 1, 2 and 3

Showing that CHP/PETN mixed is more powerful compared to the separate powders.

Number 4 was set off not on a plate but burried because I couldn't roll long enough leads. Made a nice little hole, not worth the pic.

All in all I am really starting to like this CHP stuff. Thank you Dr L. for this nice invention.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2019 at 14:31

OK...number 3 is very good result for 4 mm plate and Alu cavity 8/6. Is it full detonation. But PETN is less senzitive on CHP than ETN. Better ratio is 50 CHP/ 50 PETN. For ETN works 25 CHP /75 ETN. Any way, thanks for sharing for others researchers here. Clear pictures. If is were use copper cavity 8/6 at number 3, in plate should by hole 4 mm. If steel tube in a same conditions, so 3 mm hole in 4 steel. Copper tube has always best brizantion. (penetration effect) Is there similar effec as for shaped charges. Shortly, the liquide copper easy penetrate anything because is heavy. Aluminium not.
You can testing under the Heap of sawdust. Without problems with environment, neighbours and similarly. Sawdust has not any influence on results. The Sand yes....:cool:...LL

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2019 at 12:59

Here is result for comparation in copper cavity.

berta on 4mm.jpg - 588kB

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2019 at 23:18

LL. You did two segments of .3g CHP? What grain size? Any way to make this detonator with a single grain size?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2019 at 01:37
CHP

CHP is firstly the porridge (mixture TACP88+ AP6 +Hex6+ drops NH4OH) and under warm air from hair fan is during 2 minute create wet pieces of size 5 mm approximately. In some bowl, plast or stainless steel. At mixing constantly with spoon. This wet pieces are slightly pressed (same spoon) through sieve 1x1. And fall on innert plate at 50 C. Drying 5 - 10 minute. Not longer! CHP can loss DDT properties. (big loss NH3 from molecule) Ready for filling. Very small grain (10-20% ) is possible separe on fine sieve 0,2 mm.

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2019 at 13:20

Ok. But in the test above you did two segments with the same mass and grain size and pressing pressure?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-4-2019 at 22:01

Exact pressure is not super important. Something between 10 - 30 Kg for an 8 mm cavity. The 500 mg output segment is pressed first. It can be pure ETN or CHP. In the vise. The second segment (of CHP) weight 150 mg is pressed to 30 Kg. Handle estimate pressure. Followed two 400mg CHP segments. Which are pressed around the resistance bridge, around the wires. Pressure 10 Kg. This is followed by refilling the entire tube (usually 45 mm high) with classic gunpowder, which serves as a seal. Or as active seal. Again pressed on 10 kg. Usually 300 mg.

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2019 at 00:33

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
Exact pressure is not super important. Something between 10 - 30 Kg for an 8 mm cavity. The 500 mg output segment is pressed first. It can be pure ETN or CHP. In the vise. The second segment (of CHP) weight 150 mg is pressed to 30 Kg. Handle estimate pressure. Followed two 400mg CHP segments. Which are pressed around the resistance bridge, around the wires. Pressure 10 Kg. This is followed by refilling the entire tube (usually 45 mm high) with classic gunpowder, which serves as a seal. Or as active seal. Again pressed on 10 kg. Usually 300 mg.

In one of this thread your picture posted yesterday shows just 3 segments. The output and two .3gram segments.... pressed to 10kg. This is much simple than you mentioned above? Am I mistaken?

For 4mm det you said many moons ago that three segments of .3g, .2g, .2 or .15 works when pressed to different pressures....

I am asking, for 4mm can it be .3g output (50kg), .2g(10kg), .2g(10kg) all 1mm with no fines (below.2mm) and .1g smokeless powder??

[Edited on 18-4-2019 by MineMan]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2019 at 00:54

For cavity inner diameter 4 mm, I recommend output segment 0,2g on 25 Kg, next 0,15g on 5 Kg, next 0,15g on 5 Kg and BP plug
0,1g on 5 Kg. Should by works it. But can be 40 Kg, 10 Kg, 10 Kg, 10 Kg. And it will works also. In solid cavity 1 mm wall. Or wall 0,7 mm also is still good.

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-4-2019 at 02:16
Special test for MineMan

Here is example, system works even in thin brass cavity:

CHO 5 mm.jpg - 1012kB

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2019 at 00:56

Here is example, system works even in thin brass cavity:

Fantastic!! Thank you for doing this test LL!! This confirms my suspicion, CHP is capable of more than we think...

This brass tube, it still looks heavily confined, how thick is it? Any chance this will work in a .5mm thick Al tube... I want to minimize any shrapnel potential, allthough this maybe uneccesary. CHP May have better DDT properties when excess NH4CLO4 is used. For an OB of +15.

Or. If we can find a thick steel sleeve (2mm thick, 2mm orfice) to fit inside an Al tube. CHP should be able to act as a primary with amounts of only 200mg needed. Perhaps. I wonder, CHP mixed with magnesium and PP should DDT instantly. Mg should be safe opposed to Al powder?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2019 at 01:34
CHP

Really, you have the truth. Excess of NH4ClO4 (in TACP) increase DDT properties. Exist also base mixture, which is only from TACP+AP. Without hexamine. TACP 86% + AP 14%. = 0B + 17,23. And this mixture is pretty reliable. Of course, PP can increase DDT also, similarly as AP. Aluminium or Magnesium also can increase easy DDT. But Al or Mg create with TACP electric cell. Is it not best idea. Generally, the research about properties CHP or TACP + "something" is not on the end. Same situation is abour cavities. All types of cavities are not yet examinated. Is it an large field, big field for next research of DDT and for establishing best mixture TACP + xy....:cool:...LL
(in picture is brass diameter 6/5 mm = wall 0,5 mm.)

[Edited on 19-4-2019 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2019 at 08:43

Really, you have the truth. Excess of NH4ClO4 (in TACP) increase DDT properties. Exist also base mixture, which is only from TACP+AP. Without hexamine. TACP 86% + AP 14%. = 0B + 17,23. And this mixture is pretty reliable. Of course, PP can increase DDT also, similarly as AP. Aluminium or Magnesium also can increase easy DDT. But Al or Mg create with TACP electric cell. Is it not best idea. Generally, the research about properties CHP or TACP + "something" is not on the end. Same situation is abour cavities. All types of cavities are not yet examinated. Is it an large field, big field for next research of DDT and for establishing best mixture TACP + xy....:cool:...LL
(in picture is brass diameter 6/5 mm = wall 0,5 mm.)

[Edited on 19-4-2019 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

I see. This is fantastic. The progress you have made... and to wonder what we will know next month, next year!

For DDT I firmly believe nitrogen fuels are needed... which is why both hexamine and glycine work. I have had success with creatine in other mixtures also. But, there must exist a powder fuel with higher nitrogen then hexamine... but I have yet to find.... do you know???

I do wonder too what would happen with the addition of a small amount of metal fuel nitride. For example aluminum or magnesium nitride. Making the electric reaction between TACP and that metal inert while giving off N during burning!! And lots of N!
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-4-2019 at 10:19

Great the Idea, create TACP replete solution and use different metal of electrodes...Maybe Mad Idea.....:cool:...LL

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-4-2019 at 11:49

Great the Idea, create TACP replete solution and use different metal of electrodes...Maybe Mad Idea.....:cool:...LL

Do you mean the metal nitrites? Idk if it would work. We need a PHILOU to tell us.... I don’t even know if metal nitrides burn well since nitrogen does have some electro negativity.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-4-2019 at 22:30

Yes, Philou....He has some chemical holiday of what? ......:D
Philou, please, early we will do it electrolysis of TACP......How electrodes use? What will happen?....:D

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2019 at 20:56

LL. Titanium nitride is the only nitride I can find to buy. Titanium nitride oxidizes at 800C.

Do you want to try some LL??
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2019 at 21:18

I estimate that I will stay with the TACP for exploring conventional /organic fuels.

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2019 at 23:15

One issue I have with TACP is much is still dissolved in the ammonia, even when cooled. I know supercritical CO2 is used for the shock gel process. Could pieces of dry ice (solid CO2) be dropped into the ammonia TACP solution to precipitate TACP???
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2019 at 05:03

As an attempt is it interesting. Is possible try it. But with classic preparation in closure jar, are yields high always. On insert AP (as strategic compound) for example 10g AP + 2,66 CuO + 30g NH4OH (25%) are yields 11 - 12,5 g TACP. Is not reason use special methodes for extraction from solution. Thats better the mother liquer (residuum from reaction) boil and decompose on AP + CuO. And useing both compound as adding for next basic reaction. Base of best precipitation is of course Amm. water 24 - 26% and cooling on - 10 C. Ammonia water used for start 10% is serious problem, for example. Therefor is best use closure jar, without smell and without evaporate of NH3.

[Edited on 27-4-2019 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8

Go To Top