Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Glass frit filter funnels and filter paper numbers
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-8-2016 at 03:50
Glass frit filter funnels and filter paper numbers

Hi
I have 2 small funnels with glass filter frits in them, they are very small and i have decided to splash out and buy some filtration stuff.

The funnels i have seem to be a 'number 4' pore size, this is written on the side. I have tried to filter calcium chloride solution and calcium carbonate with them and they are not very effective!

My set up was a standard conical filter flask and vacuum applied. I have also tried putting a couple of layers of coffee filter paper on the top and filtering under vacuum, eventually a precipitate did form on the paper however the solution was cloudy.

So this has me wondering about the number system and relative pore size of glass frits and filter paper.

I have seen whatman number 1 filter paper, but the price was staggering! So while i assume the numbering system indicate the pore size i dont actually know what the numbers equate to.

What size particles are the different numbers intended to filter? And as a general rule what size filter (pore size?) do you use most often in the lab?

I intend to buy a decent size glass filter funnel and maybe a buchener funnel and some filter papers, i am a bit lost as to which papers would be best to get.

I ended up have most success filtering the calcium chloride/carbonate with a real mash up system of various sponges and wipes pushed inside a large plastic funnel!

But i would prefer to get the real thing, considering the funnels seem pretty expensive i would like to get one/maybe two of the most common sized used.

Thanks in advance.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2016 at 05:01

I use a porcelain buchner funnel for 90mm dia. papers and vacuum,
I use cheap Chinese papers, 'slow' or 'medium' (crappy versions of #1 and #3 respectively)
many things filter well with 'medium' paper, very quick with vacuum
if the 'slow' paper does not do a good job then run the filtrate through the same paper,
the bigger pores get 'filled up' on the first pass so the second pass is like a really fine pore size

Why 90mm dia ? ... because they are the cheapest on eBay :)
you only need one funnel but an endless supply of papers.

I have very little experience with fritted filters (I have two types) so my observations are worthless here.

for very small/valuable solid/liquid separation I use gravity, patience and decanting.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2016 at 08:02

Ok thanks for the info. I like the porcelain ones
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2016 at 09:42

P.S.
if you are going to buy an Erlenmeyer flask I suggest that you spend the little extra on a ground-glass neck,
size to match the rest of your glassware, and of course the funnel.
I use the common 24mm neck size.

The special 'Bucher bung' is expensive, so
I used a c60mm od x bucher funnel id, disk of silicone rubber that I cut from a baking sheet ... works perfectly.
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-8-2016 at 13:08

most of my glass is mixed size with adapters and/or non ground glass

Go To Top