Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New element collecting site!
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 17:19

Xenon as a gas is already quite expensive. Alfa has XeF2 for 90US$/2g 10g-320$. Listed as a fluorinating agent. Apparently shipped in teflon.

I have 1L or so of Xenon in a big gas glass flask. A proff of mine has F2 gas. Now when I heard that I of course made the suggestion that they get together. But when I asked it came out wrong, and sounded creepy. I'll have to ask again. Unfortunatly he is under the impression that XeF6 is explosive, wheras I was argueing it is the XeO3 is. He seems like he might actually let me work with some in his lab. I want perxenates.
Ivan
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-10-2006 at 22:04

Is your gas flask industrially sealed?
Would you like to exchange it into XeF2 ? ;).

[Edited on 13-10-2006 by Ivan]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 13-10-2006 at 01:40

Quote:
Originally posted by rogue chemistI want perxenates.

Those would be quite cool I think. I, however, read that sodium perxenate (Na4XeO6.8H2O) is an insoluble solid. Being insoluble makes the compound less interesting. It may be a nice oxidizer though in a pyro-composition, albeit a little expensive for that :D.

[Edited on 13-10-06 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Ivan
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-10-2006 at 02:41

Once I mixed together XeF2 and LiAlH4 :o , It was very funny ;)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 13:06

What do you mean by industrially sealed?

It is like Theodore Gray's here: http://www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Samples/018.2/inde... except it has xenon instead of argon inside. Labels are identical.
The ball-drop-valve thing is still intact. I still have the certificate of anaysis, it is quite pure, 5ppm krypton, balance xenon. from 1966.

How much XeF2 is it that you have/be willing to trade? Not sure if I am completly willing, however. I find both awesome.

EDIT: What is the rxn between XeF2 and LiAlH4 anyway?

[Edited on 14-10-2006 by rogue chemist]
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 13:12

Xenon flask

xenon.JPG - 33kB
mrjeffy321
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 13:20

Those vials of liquid Chlorine are quite amazing.

I was thinking, how difficult would it be to make one of those one's self?
Making Chlorine gas is no problem, you don’t need all that much since it is just for display purposes. Put the Chlorine gas into a container and then cool it down until the Chlorine liquefies at around -35 degree C (you could use dry ice to get it much cooler). After you have the liquid Chlorine, pour it into a small, clear, STRONG, container and seal it up. For added strength, one could encase the container in acrylic plastic.
I would think the hardest part would be obtaining the container to put the liquid Chlorine into...it would need to be able to withstand internal pressures on the order of about 200 psi or more for safety.
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 13:43

@mrjeffy321: As an added thing, the chlorine you make must be dry, otherwise you'll get turbidity inside the ampoule of chlorine. Also, how would you seal up such a thing, while there still is liquid Cl2 inside. Probably it is not easy at all. These liquid Cl2 ampoules can be purchased at $80, sealed in resin. I think that is a good price for them, given the difficulty to produce them. You will need quite some apparatus to do so.

@rogue chemist: That bulb you show is quite amazing, but it is more because of the bulb, than because of its contents. Couldn't you just equally well take a bulb with well-dried air inside? Xenon is not interesting at all to display as a colorless gas. For that reason, I use gas discharge tubes in my collection of elements, which in some way make the element visible, although I must admit, that it is a little cheating.

http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/compounds/xenon.ht...

For all of the inert gases, I have such tubes. Personally, I find displaying these elements more interesting in this way, than as plain colorless gases.

mrjeffy321
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 14:01

Quote:
Originally posted by woelen
@mrjeffy321: As an added thing, the chlorine you make must be dry, otherwise you'll get turbidity inside the ampoule of chlorine. Also, how would you seal up such a thing, while there still is liquid Cl2 inside. Probably it is not easy at all. These liquid Cl2 ampoules can be purchased at $80, sealed in resin. I think that is a good price for them, given the difficulty to produce them. You will need quite some apparatus to do so.

It is certainly easier said than done to seal the liquid Cl2 up in the container, but how you would go about doing this I guess would depend on the type of container used. Since the container would be subjected to such high pressures one would almost have to use a very thick glass ampoule, right? In which case then one would need to melt it closed which would not be an easy task while the Cl2 is boiling away inside.

By the way, woelen, you have an excellent looking element/compound collection.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 14:08

I am only kind of an element collector...I collect until I find something I can do with it. I am not a fan of buying something sealed in an ampoule, I want to able to get at my chemicals, although shiny metals sealed im ampoules are very nice. But I have professors who I know will let me make those if I choose. Argon glovebox, hydrogen oxygen torch and silica glass tubes could go a long way if I wanted to ampoule stuff. The xenon flask is nice because of the history and the age, but the moment I can make some XeF6 with it I will. And from there, the oxide(should be 'interesting':P) and then perxenate.:D:D
woelen
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 14:23

I want to show you a few amazing samples I just received from Ivan for fair prices:

http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/compounds/chlorine...
http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/compounds/bromine....
http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/compounds/iridium....
http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/compounds/thallium...
http://woelen.scheikunde.net/science/chem/compounds/scandium...

Ivan, thanks!

Ivan
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 15:16

>What do you mean by industrially sealed?

I meant not self-made :)
(I like your flask very much! )

I have In Zurich ca 1 g of XeF2, For this very nice flack I am ready to exchange all this amount.
But sertanly If you have another offer, suggest it.
I have Xe in aluminium pressure vessel, but you absolutely right, this vintage flask is more then just 1l of Xe.

XeF2 LiAlH4 mixture is sensitive to the rub :) and it have made loud boom ;). (but I have mix only 20 mg of ach compaund).
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 15:16

Hey didn't that Xenon flask come offa Ebay a few weeks ago?

Coulda sworn I seen one just like it.

[Edited on 14-10-2006 by evil_lurker]
Ivan
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 15:42

I didn't saw it :(
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 14-10-2006 at 16:20

Nope. Basement of physics/chemistry building about to be torn down/asbestos removed. A scavengers paradise. I got to scurry around the abandonned equipment with professors in a feeding frenzy of academia. Damn I miss it.:( It is also how I got much other equipment...which I really should sell on ebay.

Got to see two old physics professors squabble over a vaccuum diffusion pump...it was hilarious.

[Edited on 15-10-2006 by rogue chemist]
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2006 at 16:10

I must also say that Ivan ships these samples so completely safe and secure and in a method that I honestly had not seen before. He takes a huge lump of styrofoam and carves out parts of it so that the samples fit in there very snugly. The carved out "lid" is then placed back and heavily taped up. There is no way the samples will jostle around or break during shipping. Thank you so much Ivan for shipping in that manner.

It is really quite remarkable to see liquid chlorine gas. The acrylic/resin casting the ampoule is in makes it very easy to display. (My current samples of Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine and Iodine are being sealed in a resin casting right now. A fellow element collector was able to get a mold made for me so that I could safely store all of the halogens, especially after the bromine ate through the glass ampoule it was stored in).

I also have to give my thanks to Ivan for being able to provide me with an unoxidized, reflective sample of lithium metal. Once I get myself an ampoule of unoxidized potassium, I will have a sample of every alkali metal in their pure, unoxidized form. I can't wait for that to happen as I'll then be able to possibly have them all cast in a resin block and have a great display to go along with the halogens. :D

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top