Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Adapter for flask for filtering?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-8-2016 at 21:46
Adapter for flask for filtering?

Are there any adapters that llow the use of regular flasks for filtering instead of having to buy a specific filtering flask with a vacuum port on it?
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 15-8-2016 at 22:09

The Buchner vacuum filtering flasks are made with much thicker walls to handle the pressure from the vacuum source so that they do not implode..
I have never seen an adapter for a standard conical flask as I don't think they will hold up to the pressure.

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-8-2016 at 00:39

Quote: Originally posted by greenlight  
The Buchner vacuum filtering flasks are made with much thicker walls to handle the pressure from the vacuum source so that they do not implode..
I have never seen an adapter for a standard conical flask as I don't think they will hold up to the pressure.

Thanks. I was planning on using a heavy/thick wall flask as I found some 2L for a really good price IMO ($22)
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-8-2016 at 01:18

You could use one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-40-Glass-Vacuum-Take-off-Adapte...
or
one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15ml-Buchner-Funnel-Glass-Separato...
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-8-2016 at 09:38

They do make thick walled erlenmeyers for use under vacuum, but they tend to cost a lot, and weigh a lot. Filter flasks are not that pricey, if you look around, I have some used ones available for $18 each plus postage. If you don't mind small chips or scratched up ones, I have a few I would sell for less. It is not trivial to adapt an erlenmeyer for filtering, easier to do with a 24/40 joint, those adapters I also have cheap, but work best for small Buchners, not big ones, too unstable.

Go To Top