Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Platinum wire for electrolysis
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 01:41
Platinum wire for electrolysis

I intend to buy platinum wire for electrolysis purposes, for making KBrO3, KClO3 and KIO3 from the halide salts. I now use carbon rods for this, but I'm getting quite sick of all the black crap from these things and also the impurities I get from the linseed oil. I always get yellow stuff. Now I want platinum wire for better results.

I have found different types of platinum wire:

* 99.9+% platinum wire, or even 99.99% wire
* 95% platinum, 5% iridium wire
* 92% platinum 8% tungsten wire

Also, I have seen wire with thickness of 0.40 mm, 0.25 mm and 0.005 mm. The latter is much cheaper, but also very thin. Which diameter would be best?

I wonder which is the best for electrolysis purposes. All types of wire have approximately the same (high :( ) price, only the 99.99% wire is much more expensive than all other types of wire.

So, which wire I can best purchase?

The prices are appr. $2 per cm for wire with a diameter of 0.25 mm, $4 per cm for wire with a diameter of 0.4 mm. The 0.05 mm wire has a price of $0.20 per cm. Are these reasonable prices or is the supplier ripping me?

[Edited on 9-10-06 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 04:41

Even platinum wire will weaken a bit as electrolysis takes place, so the thicker the wire the more sound your electrode will be. However, as you increase the thickness of the wire you also increase the resistivity of it a bit so you need to pump more electricity through it. I would avoid the 0.005 mm wire since at the voltage and amperages being used it will significantly weaken the physical structure of the wire. (I believe the 0.005 mm wire is designed for low voltage/low amperage circuits).

Basically, the thicker the wire the more safely it is able to carry higher currents but the less effective it is at transmitting that current. The lower the thickness, the less safe it is at carrying those currents but the more of that current that reaches your solution.

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 06:31

I`de also choose the 0.4mm (where cash allows).
just out of curiosity though, how does the price compare with the 99.9% and the Ir alloy?

if it`s Favorable significantly, then I`de go the Iridium route personaly.

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 06:52

Have you considered titanium as a substitute?

The pure platinum will be much much softer than the Pt/Ir alloy and the Pt/W alloys and probably easier to work with if you want to roll out a piece for increased surface area. Have you considered dissolving platinum and putting it down on a substrate of some kind?

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 9-10-2006 at 09:04

Titanium is no good for anode, it rectifies.

TIm

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 10:27

Does anyone know why other noble metals are not used for anodes? Palladium and iridium are much cheaper and should be quite inert.

Btw platinum can be plated to other metals. Plating on titanium is used in industries to make anodes. Platinum layer of only 0.15 micron thicknes is said to be enough for most purposes.

[Edited on 11-10-2006 by chromium]

When all think alike, then no one is thinking. - Walter Lippmann
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 11-10-2006 at 12:49

Palladium isn't that inert and iridum is almost impossible to extrude into wire, the fabrication costs make it prohibitively expensive. It may be 550/ oz Ir versus 1200 for platinum, but platinum is much more easily worked.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron

Go To Top