Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Handling & Working with Mercury Chloride?
ToxicPlus
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-8-2016 at 08:48
Handling & Working with Mercury Chloride?

Hi fellas

Just a quick one to run past you guys. Im aware that most of the veterans here wont want to give such advice to a new member but out of harm reduction i hope some of you might drop me some advice.

Please note the Mercury is being used for perfectly legal synthesis and im in a very easy going lax EU country where Mercury Chloride is not illegal.

1. Correct storage for Mercury Chloride - Currently it is just sealed in 2 zip seal bags. Is this safe or can it absorb through the plastic?
2. Im aware that latex gloves are out of the question what material glove is best to use? Nitrile?
3. What sort of precautions should be taken when weighing it out and inserting it into the bag? i've read that any handling of Mercury will cause spills and splashes as the particles bounce.

Yes this worries me greatly so if someone could provide some advice i would really appreciate it ;)

2g is enough to kill you right? or can less be fatal? :o Because if thats the case it seems relatively hard to accidentally ingest 2000mg of Mercury!

[Edited on 18-8-2016 by ToxicPlus]

[Edited on 18-8-2016 by ToxicPlus]
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 18-8-2016 at 09:18

1. I have stored it double-bagged before but now it is in a HDPE reagent container with a second seal inside the lid which is safer.
2. Nitrile is best, single for small exposure, double glove for extended periods.
3. Mercury chloride is a white powder/granules it doesn't behave like elemental mercury at all when spilt as the particles don't bounce around and split up...

I have read that the fatal amount for an average weight male is 2000mg yes so it probably would be difficult to kill yourself in the powder form but you can still poison yourself and any levels of mercury isn't really something you want in your body.

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 18-8-2016 at 12:41

The issue arises when new and obviously inexperienced members express a desire to synthesize or procure chemicals such as mercury salts with a complete disregard for safety. Asking questions about the safe handling, especially if you already have it, I doubt any members here would have issue with; quite the contrary in fact.

As for your questions, I agree with greenlight for the most part. HDPE or another similar plastic bottle is the wisest to use with these chemicals, as glass can shatter and plastic bags can rip accidentally. Personally, I would weigh it out with a good amount of care, perhaps with a respirator. Working with some solid dyes(or denatonium salts!!!) will show you very quickly how difficult it is to prevent any surface contamination, no matter how careful you think you are. However, beware that while ~2g lethal exposure is fairly accurate, this applies to both acute and chronic exposure. Exposure to 100mg of mercuric chloride on twenty occasions over several weeks will have nearly the same impact of a single 2g exposure, considering that the half life is around 2 months.

Schleimsäure
Hazard to Others

Mood: Probably

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 02:51

I always ask myself how 2 g of a mercury salt could "end up" in one's stomach "accidentely".

However, once I replaced 100g of mercury(II) chloride from a cheap plastic container into a small brown glas bottle. A small chunk landed somehow on my thump. I went quickly to the bathroom and washed it with cold water. Well, I'm still alive and and no signs of mercury poisening after one year.
I think diffusion rate on human tissue is not too bad.
Organic mercury compounds are quite another league though.

[Edited on 19-8-2016 by Schleimsäure]
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 03:17

Plastic bags are a very poor storage solution, regardless of the permeability of the plastic.
Static electricity can be a serious problem when you try to take a small amount of powder from a plastic bag without spilling ANY, especially when you are wearing plastic gloves.
This is depends on conditions (humidity, etc) and the properties of the powder, but is generally much, much worse with plastic bags or bottles.
It is sometimes impossible to scoop any amount from (or into) a plastic bottle or bag. As soon as you approach the opening with a spatula holding a bit of powder, the powder jumps off the spatula ands sprays into the air.

Also, saying that only 2g is a fatal amount is deceptive. The half life of mercury in your central nervous system is several years at least. You should prevent any exposure to cumulative neurotoxins like mercury. Many tiny exposures can add to up to have very real effects in time.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 05:00

Oh don't forget: mercuric chloride can sublimate into the air and be breathed in.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 05:03

When ever I handle a toxic substance first step is to read all the msds's on it, multiple ones from different companies (Some add things others don't in terms of info!)

Next read up on its effects on the body.

With that info will tell you how to develop the procedure.

As others stated a bag is a poor choice, too many variables when handling as opposed to a proper bottle of glass or plastic.

As for handling and weighing? Use great level of care!

Gloves Vinyl or Nitril, wear a good dust mask

Usually I use a dark sheet of paper when weighing out powders to easily see any spills, all so makes recovery of the spill easier as well as clean up and decontamination.

Make sure there are no air currents!!! (Fans, open windows, wind from any thing) Use slow controlled movements, so don't drink too much coffe befor hand! Be relaxed too, doing so improves every thing in general to a degree

Good habit is treat all chemicals like it is deadly and get in the habit of the procedure this ensures less mistakes as it becomes muscle memory.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 05:27

Maybe a small glove box is worth building ?

wood sealed with paint or varnish to allow washing-down, a glass or plastic sheet, butyl gauntlets etc.

when finished, spray=mist the inside with sodium carbonate solution to convert to insoluble HgCO3
(not verified ... but some method of reducing the toxicity should be performed0

Edit; changed 'nitrile' to 'butyl' ... see posts below

[Edited on 20-8-2016 by Sulaiman]
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 06:56

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
Maybe a small glove box is worth building ?

wood sealed with paint of varnish to allow washing=down, a glass or plastic sheet, nitrile gauntlets etc.

when finished, spray=mist the inside with sodium carbonate solution to convert to insoluble HgCO3
(not verified ... but some method of reducing the toxicity should be performed0

A "still air" box made from one of those transparent plastic storage boxes is a good option for occasional use. Cut two holes for your gloved hands and set it upside down on a disposable sheet of plastic (or cardboard perhaps).

If using wood I strongly recommend using polymer sealants: polyurethane varnish, or thin epoxy (laminating epoxy works well, epoxy paint is okay).
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 08:36

I just noticed one of my mistakes ... I meant 'Butyl' not 'nitrile' for the glove box ... sorry
Schleimsäure
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 19:00

Just respect the reagents. As Liebig, Kekule, Lomonossow and 1000's of others did just 150 years ago. They had no fume hoods, no gloves, at least nothing comparable to todays industry standards. Yet the number of deseased chemists because of intoxination is very small.
To be overly frightened isn't right either. Respect and fear are two pairs of shoes. Most deaths related to toxic substances occured with persons exposed 8 hours, 5 times a week to a respective toxine, without proper protection.
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 19-8-2016 at 22:42

Quote: Originally posted by Schleimsäure  
Just respect the reagents.

And because you're so clever, you ended up with mercury salts on your skin, flushing them down the drain. Obviously your advice is quite misguided, and there's a number of reasons why since Liebig and Kekulé, safety measures have been imposed for a lot of chemistry work.
Schleimsäure
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-8-2016 at 07:05

Were talking about mg's. Ridiculous.
Justin Blaise
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-8-2016 at 18:58

I've posted this on other threads, but it seems relevant here. The attached pdf has instructions on making a glove bag from dish washing gloves and Ziplock bags. If you really want to contain your Hg salts, this seems like a cheap way to do it.

Attachment: glove bags.pdf (944kB)
This file has been downloaded 387 times
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
23-8-2016 at 08:11

Go To Top