Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Swim et al.
Elawr
Hazard to Others

Mood: vitriolic

[*] posted on 25-10-2006 at 07:15

I must agree with the Blind Angel. Indiscriminant "bashing" generally only inflames the aforeto mentioned problems more than it helps. We are into science here, not flame wars. Don't want to end up like the hive. Or like another chemistry forum on usnet I have not bothered to waste time with in quite a long while. Anyone know of the entity who goes by the handle "Uncle Al"?

After I stumbling upon this forum it took little time to realize I'd found a rare gem. A solid core of scientists with a steady stream of new users signing up, most of which submit maybe one post, if any. If but even if only 1 or 2 out of every hundred of these becomes a regular contributor then this forum will do great.

This is a new thing for me - a forum on the internet I've actually grown not only to care about, but also try and help it continue to improve. We got a good thing going here. The users we need to discourage become obvious very quickly. And the more I think about it, the more I like ignoring as a response to K3wl/swim/stupid/whatever/etc. Just IGNORE 'em - no reponse at all, like they didn't exist, like they are not even worth the effort of lifting fingers to the keyboard. Sure, at first they come back with a few indignant retorts, then they'll just get bored with it and go away. And good riddance.

On the other hand, are the bright kids (and adults) who show up all the time genuinely interested in chemistry. You know the ones The ones who can't stay out of the hypochlorite bleach, the muriatic acid, the borax, peroxide, and whatever else they can get their hands on, and generally are driving their parents (or spouses) nuts. You know who they are. These young ones are who we need to go all out and bend over backwards trying to encourage. They are the future.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 25-10-2006 at 22:57

Oh yes, I know Uncle Al and had a few encounters with him. There is more to tell about that, but that's not the topic here. And what to say about Hanson...

But, I agree very much with Elawr. Sciencemadness is one of those rare gems, which belongs to the top of the chemistry forums. Real chemistry, with active members, who actually DO chemistry. I also strongly agree that we should encourage the newbies, who do chemistry with everything they find around them. That is how I started myself many years ago. And yes, it is easy to distinguish these from the other newbies, who just want a quick KABOOM, or who just want more pills.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 26-10-2006 at 14:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind Angel
Bashing is out of solution to me, it's useless, it's like giving benzodiazepines to everybody who has a small depression state (which is actually done), you help create the monster in that case.

Roche "Pharmaceuticals" Inc. CEO carrying his victim:

[Edited on 26-10-2006 by Sandmeyer]

Baphomet
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-11-2006 at 22:07

I've just been assured by a lawyer friend that SWIM does work in a legal sense, at least in our jurisdiction, because it turns a confession into a hypothetical statement.
Having said that I agree with the rest of you and think that it's an annoying and low-brow expression. It's much better to impersonalise an article or post like Polverone suggested.
It has the added benefit of being more 'clinical' as well. That is the way professional scientists deliver their dissertations.
Quantum
Hazard to Others

Mood: Interested

[*] posted on 1-12-2006 at 21:47

I don't like the typical swim poster because of course they are so drug focused it's like a slap in the face and even worse they never seem to be able to type or know much about chemistry. Now on the other hand sometimes someone with a HIVE background will use the swim-word yet they have a well craftd post that is interesting, readable and of quality.

I think a mild flame with a re-education *might* help in some cases but often times it will not. Many of these people cross post their question all over the net and I'm not even sure some of them ever really will do any sort of reaction. It may be similar to idiots on gun forums that brag about guns and want to know how to make a suppressor or whatnot but really never do.

What if, what is isn\'t true?
Maya
Hazard to Others

Mood: molten

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 12:28

<< On the other hand, are the bright kids (and adults) who show up all the time genuinely interested in chemistry. You know the ones The ones who can't stay out of the hypochlorite bleach, the muriatic acid, the borax, peroxide, and whatever else they can get their hands on, and generally are driving their parents (or spouses) nuts. You know who they are. These young ones are who we need to go all out and bend over backwards trying to encourage. They are the future. >>

That's funny! Long time ago my middle school teacher would encourage me by giving me bottles of white Phosphorous, nitric acid, carbon disulphide and other exotic chems. to do crazy experiments with.

I guess it worked cause it led me into a chem career
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top