Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diluting oleum
hippo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-8-2016 at 04:08
Diluting oleum

Hi guys,
I have recently been reading up about H2SO4 production and on almost every page it mentions diluting oleum.

However, in all the footage I have seen on diluting oleum (which is very little), it always overheats and shatters the glass being used.

So, the question remains: How do I dilute oleum without carbonising everyone and everything I know and love?

Thank you.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 24-8-2016 at 04:37

Quote:
So, the question remains: How do I dilute oleum without carbonising everyone and everything I know and love?

Carefully, I'd imagine ─ by doing it incrementally in stages, using small quantities of water and always acid to water so that the heat of hydration is quickly circulated through the sol.!

NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2016 at 04:58

I wish i had brought it now but i didnt! On ebay was an old mercury lead container, it was a thick walled cylinder and described as having been used to store mercury???

Anyway my point is wouldnt a thick walled lead container be better than glass for diluting oleum?

Not something i would want to do TBH. Maybe tiny amounts 1ml into a 1 Ltr water might tempt me. Or a large thick walled pyrex measuring jug you can get for home cooking?

3/4 fill with water and add 1ml Oleum at a time, wait for solution to cool before adding more. I really have zero experience of this but my instinct of survival tells me i would approach this extremely cautiously with a alot of protection.

So this might be bollox but if it was me and i had no internet.......

Chest waders on, face shield and mask one of those plastic water proof coats on with hood up. I would do it in the bathroom with the shower on running cold water.

Large pyrex measuring jug 3/4 water in and add 1ml at a time, i would do it away from the shower to avoid my nack of a drop of water splash from the shower finding its way into the Oleum bottle.

Any suspicion of Oleum or spray from reaction reaching me and i would be under the shower in a flash.

Like i say zero experience but if SM didnt exist and this was something i had to do, then this is probably how i would approach it!

Take as many precautions as you can, 2-3 layers decent gloves but not so many you cant feel or easily handle things.

As many barriers to your skin as you can, like waders and thin rain jackets etc, goggles and face shield and of course a gas mask. No point catching wiff and coughing and spluttering while holding a bottle of Olium!

Not sure what i would do if i had a fume hood?? Part of me still thinks the above precautions and i would like a hose with shower thing for hanging baskets hung up near by ready to go.

Olium just isnt something i am ready to think about, it isnt a second chance chemical so i would personally mess with it until i had experience with lesser evils.

Having said that, making Olium is on my 'One day' list. But so is Nuclear fission.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2016 at 05:47

If you type "oleum" in the YouTube search bar then you will be able to watch the dilution of oleum ... scary!

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 24-8-2016 at 06:27

If you want oleum of a lower concentration, dilute it with ice cold sulfuric acid with a lot of stirring.

If you want to dilute it down to some concentration of sulfuric acid, add it to freezing cold, moderately strong sulfuric acid with rapid stirring until the desired concentration is reached, monitoring the temperature and stopping to cool when necessary to avoid excessive fuming.

Remember: "If you like your linoleum, don't add water to oleum."

[Edited on 24-8-2016 by Praxichys]

hippo
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-8-2016 at 06:41

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  

If you want to dilute it down to some concentration of sulfuric acid, add it to freezing cold, moderately strong sulfuric acid

[Edited on 24-8-2016 by Praxichys]

By moderately strong, do you mean like 70-80%?
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
24-8-2016 at 07:42
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-8-2016 at 08:19

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  

Remember: "If you like your linoleum, don't add water to oleum."

Is that a real saying or did you come up with it?
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 25-8-2016 at 10:46

Quote: Originally posted by hippo  

By moderately strong, do you mean like 70-80%?

Yeah. The stuff you get when you boil the Bat until the white genie emerges.

Smells like ammonia....
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 25-8-2016 at 19:23

Another way to dilute oleum. Place oleum and a bowl of water in a desicator. The water will evaporate and the oleum will act as a drying agent until it reaches 80% sulfuric acid.

Go To Top