Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lowry protein assay: analysis
haiduc
Harmless

Mood: cloud nine:)

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 14:23
Lowry protein assay: analysis

Hello!

I did the Lowry protein assay, I measured the absorbance at 500 nm, and what I got was:

water: 0,17
serum albumin 0,1%: 0,162
0,3%: 0,240
0,5%: 0,403
0,7%: 0,421
blood plasma: 0,590
albumin 100%: 0,563

All I need is a piece of advice on how to prepare a standard curve of absorbance vs. micrograms protein.

I use a linear regression constantly, though I have no idea how to relate all the data this time!

Thanks for your concern,
Haiduc

*_viens, viens chez moi, Voyageur
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 14:55

Problem is, it isn't linear at all, right? at 0.7%, the AU is 0.421.
But at 100%, it is 0.563 !!!! :o:o (correct me if I am wrong, but isn't 100% albumin a solid?)
Essentially, it means you have to dilute your samples such that it's absorbance is between 0.24 and 0.4. Before that, I'd advise to do your standard curve again, but at a much greater resolution (more datapoints).

Also, which Lowry assay is it? There are many types.
Check there aren't any interfering compounds.
'While widely used, the Lowry procedure is less preferable an assay than some other protein assays since it is more subject to interference by a wide variety of chemicals. Among the chemicals reported to interfere with the Lowry procedure are barbital, CAPS, cesium chloride, citrate, cysteine, diethanolamine, dithiothreitol, EDTA, EGTA, HEPES, mercaptoethanol, Nonidet P-40, phenol, polyvinyl pyrrolidone, sodium deoxycholate, sodium salicylate, thimerosol, Tricine, TRIS and Triton X-100.'

From http://www.animal.ufl.edu/hansen/protocols/LOWRY.htm

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 16:02

Reference Information

A Simplification of the Protein Assay Method of Lowryetal. Which is More Generally Applicable
GARY L. PETERSON
ANALYTICAL BIOCHEMISTRY 83, 346-356 (1977)

Abstract
Some recent modifications of the protein assay by the method of Lowry, Rose- brough, Farr, and Randall (1951, .I. Biol. Chem. 193, 265-275) have been reexamined and altered to provide a consolidated method which is simple, rapid, objective, and more generally applicable. A DOC-TCA protein precipitation technique provides for rapid quantitative recovery of soluble and membrane proteins from interfering substances even in very dilute solutions (< 1 pg/ml of protein). SDS is added to alleviate possible nonionic and cationic detergent and lipid interferences, and to provide mild conditions for rapid denaturation of membrane and proteolipid proteins. A simple method based on a linear log-log protein standard curve is presented to permit rapid and totally objective protein analysis using small programmable calculators. The new modification compared favorably with the original method of Lowry ef al.

Attachment: A Simplification of the Protein Assay Method of Lowryetal. Which is More Generally Applicable.pdf (728kB)
This file has been downloaded 7843 times

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
haiduc
Harmless

Mood: cloud nine:)

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 23:31

Aye, it was diluted 100 times, so those numbers stand for:
10%
30%
50%
70%.

*_viens, viens chez moi, Voyageur

Go To Top