Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How Do I Make Gibberellic Acid
KFC
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 20:04
How Do I Make Gibberellic Acid

Does anyone know how to make Gibberellic Acid and once I have how do I use it. Do I apply it to the seed when it germinates?

Life Is Like A Bucket Of Chicken
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 20:12

You don't make as such, you either culture a specific fungus and extract, or just buy it (much easier and cheaper) A search for gibberllic acid price should find you plenty of sources and information on usingt it.

It's a fairly complex molecule, not something you whip together in the cookware between meals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibberellin
KFC
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 20:15

Do you know what specific fungus and I can extract it, and where can I get that fungus?

Why buy it no fun in that;)

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 21:08

Quote:
Originally posted by KFC
Do you know what specific fungus and I can extract it, and where can I get that fungus?

Why buy it no fun in that;)

Developed strains of Gibberella fujikuroi / Fusarium moniliforme You can buy it, mostly likely if you are an established company in the business or an educational institution.

Or you can go to Japan, hunt through rice fields looking for infected plants, smuggle some of those home, attempt to isolate the fungus and culture it, repeat the isolation/purification then culture steps until you have a pure culture. Then spend a few years developing a high yield strain. Finally you're ready to scale up production. If you are experienced with working with fungus, should take less than 5 years; seeing as you're asking these questions then I assume you have no experience, in which case 8 years to never.

Try a Web search on the fungus names, should tell you more.

Edit - here's a list, have fun

http://www.plant-hormones.info/gasinfungi.htm

[Edited on 17-10-2006 by not_important]
KFC
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 21:33

One more question would it be likely to find Gibberella Acid at a hardware store?

not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 21:47

Quote:
Originally posted by KFC
One more question would it be likely to find Gibberella Acid at a hardware store?

All depends on where you live. A garden store or plant nursery would be more likely, as would be looking in the spring (so if you're south of the equator you are in luck)
KFC
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 21:54

California?

FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 22:52

A hydroponic supply store would probably have it or be able to easily order it for you.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2006 at 23:47

Quote:
Originally posted by KFC
California?

http://search.redding.com/sp?catId=25460600&t=d&sId=...

California is about the size of Paraguay, and has a population about 6 times larger. There are 70 or 80 major nations, like Germany and Ireland, that are smaller than California. The US was a federated republic, having Federal, State, and local laws and zoning, and has a couple of dozen climate zones. All of those affect what can be sold, and if it is likely to be sold because there is a use for it. There's little need for stump remover in Manhattan, I suspect there is little demand for magnesium anti-corrosion plates in Fort Dodge Iowa.

Which is to say, you are likely the best person to be able to answer the question "where can I get X?". We can give you general ideas, but expect to do some legwork and label reading on your own. If the use fits the class of product you were to look for, but the label doesn't tell what's in it well enough, note the manufacture and product name, then go online and find the MSDS for it. A big part of science and experimentation is thinking, might as well start warming up.

BTW - back in the 1960s and `70s a number of people tried getting plants to grow larger and/or faster, only to discover that the sought after metabolic products lagged behind and were present in much lower amounts than in non-treated plants. If all you want is dandylions the size of sunflowers, great. If you want a particular plant metabolite, better try finding some experimental references to make sure the metabolite tracks the plant grow.

Go To Top