Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Why not EDDN?
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 10:43

Silver isn't that expensive to use as a primary. You can get bouillon on eBay, $9 for 5g, which is $1.80 per gram (even cheaper if you buy more). A typical "heavy" SADS load is around 120mg, and silver makes up roughly a quarter of the weight of SADS, so...

$10 worth of silver (5g) would make 20g SADS, enough to fill 166 of the heavy 120mg caps. Cut that to a more reasonable 60mg cap and you can now make 332 caps for $10. Each heavy cap comes out to 6¢ in silver and each standard cap would cost about 3¢. It's not worth worrying about!

I do agree for safety and reliability reasons that caps have a booster built in. Personally I have had problems with MHN being sticky and under-nitrated. Besides, pressing is a little too dangerous for me.

My preferred option is 350mg ETN melt-cast into the bottom of the cap with 60mg SADS on top. This is best accomplished by placing the empty cap cases into a wooden rack, loading the cases with 350mg ETN powder, and then placing the rack into hot water and walking away. The ETN is safely formed into a perfect high-density block at the bottom of the cap with no danger to the user. 60mg SADS is then placed on top of the solid, cooled ETN, followed by 1/8" visco fuse. The fuse and SADS is held in place temporarily by a small cotton plug, and the top is permanently capped with 2-part epoxy. The cotton also keeps the epoxy out of the SADS and keeps it compressed gently against the ETN.

You can find the perfect cap bodies on eBay sold as "perfume sample vials". You can get 100 of them for less than $10, and they are available in 0.7ml, 1ml, and 1.5ml varieties. They are clear glass (which is kind of neat) so they need to be stored in the dark or painted black if you plan to use SADS. Lately I have been using lead azide instead, for this reason. Another drawback is that the ETN will melt and ruin the cap if it is heated to about 60°C, which can happen inside a toolbox left in the sun, a vehicle, etc.

I know all of this is sort of off-topic, but relevant if a safe method of initiation is needed for insensitive secondaries. Please make sure you do this legally. I have a lot of land and I don't store anything in order to comply with my local laws. I happen to know a lot but I would hate for someone to get into trouble following any of this.

EDIT: Never mind about my failure with MHN. I was thinking about the time I tried to nitrate xylitol. MHN would be nice to use since it is more dense and has a higher VoD than ETN, but the melt casting process would require a scary trip to 120°C in an oil bath. I guess it could be alloyed with ETN or something to bring that <100°C but I don't think the minor performance boost is worth the added handling/complexity.

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by Praxichys]

MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 12:58

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  
Silver isn't that expensive to use as a primary. You can get bouillon on eBay, $9 for 5g, which is $1.80 per gram (even cheaper if you buy more). A typical "heavy" SADS load is around 120mg, and silver makes up roughly a quarter of the weight of SADS, so...

$10 worth of silver (5g) would make 20g SADS, enough to fill 166 of the heavy 120mg caps. Cut that to a more reasonable 60mg cap and you can now make 332 caps for $10. Each heavy cap comes out to 6¢ in silver and each standard cap would cost about 3¢. It's not worth worrying about!

I do agree for safety and reliability reasons that caps have a booster built in. Personally I have had problems with MHN being sticky and under-nitrated. Besides, pressing is a little too dangerous for me.

My preferred option is 350mg ETN melt-cast into the bottom of the cap with 60mg SADS on top. This is best accomplished by placing the empty cap cases into a wooden rack, loading the cases with 350mg ETN powder, and then placing the rack into hot water and walking away. The ETN is safely formed into a perfect high-density block at the bottom of the cap with no danger to the user. 60mg SADS is then placed on top of the solid, cooled ETN, followed by 1/8" visco fuse. The fuse and SADS is held in place temporarily by a small cotton plug, and the top is permanently capped with 2-part epoxy. The cotton also keeps the epoxy out of the SADS and keeps it compressed gently against the ETN.

You can find the perfect cap bodies on eBay sold as "perfume sample vials". You can get 100 of them for less than $10, and they are available in 0.7ml, 1ml, and 1.5ml varieties. They are clear glass (which is kind of neat) so they need to be stored in the dark or painted black if you plan to use SADS. Lately I have been using lead azide instead, for this reason. Another drawback is that the ETN will melt and ruin the cap if it is heated to about 60°C, which can happen inside a toolbox left in the sun, a vehicle, etc.

I know all of this is sort of off-topic, but relevant if a safe method of initiation is needed for insensitive secondaries. Please make sure you do this legally. I have a lot of land and I don't store anything in order to comply with my local laws. I happen to know a lot but I would hate for someone to get into trouble following any of this.

EDIT: Never mind about my failure with MHN. I was thinking about the time I tried to nitrate xylitol. MHN would be nice to use since it is more dense and has a higher VoD than ETN, but the melt casting process would require a scary trip to 120°C in an oil bath. I guess it could be alloyed with ETN or something to bring that <100°C but I don't think the minor performance boost is worth the added handling/complexity.

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by

Praxichys, I think that is great advice, and I think your design and procedure is a great way to avoid pressing! ETN is a little touchy but still safe when managed properly. Your location says Michigan, and I know according to the ATF it is legal to manufacture without a license... Just not to store. How do you comply with this, as your SADS and ETN would need to be stored to make your caps? And then You would have to use your caps the minute you made them to avoid storage? I am only asking you this because I too live in the States and I am wondering if I am missing something that I could apply to myself... Is it legal to store under a certain amount??
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 13:19

Whoops my reply got placed in the quote...
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 22:12

This storage on private property is an interesting question. How long? Only one day? Or one week? Since production can take for example a week. I'll give an example: Someone needs 1,000 grams of explosives. But can be produced in one step of only 50 grams. This means that it is necessary to store at least 19 charges for nearly a week. It is this detail given in the law? Thanks.

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2016 at 10:06

LL, this is what I am curious about also... I hope Praxichys can answer this!
Jimbo Jones
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-9-2016 at 12:22

Quote: Originally posted by Praxichys  

My preferred option is 350mg ETN melt-cast into the bottom of the cap with 60mg SADS on top.

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by Praxichys]

Interesting. I always thought that the cast ETN have large critical diameter and needs strong kick in order to detonate.
Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 11-9-2016 at 08:04

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/docs/publication-federal-expl...

You can legally manufacture explosives for personal use on your own property, although there is a minimum distance from inhabited structures that you are allowed to both manufacture and use explosives from. You cannot make them inside a residence if it is occupied by anyone other than yourself, and all explosive material must be locked up if it is not attended per §555.205. Explosives can only be stored in approved and inspected magazines, and there is a maximum explosive weight that can be stored in any one magazine based on its dimensions. There are requirements for minimum distance from regularly occupied dwellings, and requirements for locks. You must be licensed by the ATF to use a magazine for explosive storage.

Because of this, I do not have a magazine, nor do I store any explosive material unless it is "in the process of manufacture". Since you must be licensed by the ATF to transport explosives on public roads, I need to take a portion of my lab up north with me in order to make the charges on-site and thus remain legal. Daunting as that seems, the process is incredibly easy after you run it a few times, and it only takes about a morning to get everything together.

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 11-9-2016 at 12:10

Thanks, very interesting read about law in link. Shortly:
In a remote shack, it is necessary to mix ammonium nitrate and something. And then immediately self blow up. A nearby villages, neighbours and authorities have no worries for a long time....:cool:...LL

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top