Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Explosions in NYC and Jersey Shore
camerican
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 09:27
Explosions in NYC and Jersey Shore

Yesterday two bombs went off on the east coast and a third was found before it was set off. The device in NY probably used a high explosive-witnesses experienced a shockwave and saw a plume of white smoke.

The Jersey Shore bomb was apparently unconnected and probably used poorly mixed black powder. I say that because the bomb sent up a 25-foot plume of black smoke without totally destroying the plastic garbage can it was concealed in. So, I was thinking the "smoke" could just be powdered charcoal thrown up in the air. Or this was just a really small TNT charge, but you guys probably know better than me.

The third bomb is almost certainly a pressure cooker stuffed with black powder or smokeless powder, like the bombs used in Boston in 2012.

Anyways, that's about all I could figure out from the information in those articles. Hopefully we'll see more in the next week.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 11:04

Don't know anything much about the USA, but i thought that there were shops selling live ex-military hardware.

Is that actually true or just hollywood fiction ?

If true, making/deploying low quality bombs would be very odd.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 11:22

That is false. There are military surplus stores but they don't sell live explosives, mostly just stuff like uniforms, combat boots, canteens, that kinda thing.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
camerican
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 11:30

Quote:
Don't know anything much about the USA, but i thought that there were shops selling live ex-military hardware.

There are, you can see them in the classic documentary Commando :P
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 11:51

One lead so far... might not be genuine?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/new-york-ex...

camerican
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 12:26

Thanks for the link, those close-ups of the dumpster are really good. Not sure about that Tumblr post referenced in the article-probably a joke in poor taste, but you can never tell.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 12:26

What i thought was that guns and ammo can be bought, of all kinds.

It would seem totally crazy to have shops selling ex-army atomic devices etc. so that probably does not happen, at least on the 'general public' level.

Basically, i do not know what can be bought in the US.

Home-made black powder based IEDs sound ridiculous *if* more powerful explosives are freely available.

My worry here is that it's another step in cracking down on the availability of chemicals by staging events like these as the pretext.

Do the gun shops sell grenades, mortar shells, rocket rounds etc as well as guns and ammo, legally or routinely illegally ?

camerican
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 12:55

Low explosives (usually propellants) are available in large quantities at most gun stores. High explosives are just as regulated as anywhere else, with the exception of primers for centerfire cartridges.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 12:59

Presumably 'low explosives' would perform better than home-made black powder ?

camerican
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 13:19

Sure. What's the deal with the quotes? I thought 'low explosive' was the only way to refer to stuff that can only deflagrate.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 16:44

smokeless powder and blackpowder are OTC here (Arkansas)

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

camerican
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 19:06

The bombs in NYC used a binary explosive mixture similar to Tannerite. I guess all that's left is to find out how they were detonated.
OneEyedPyro
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 19:45

Tannerite huh? Hopefully they don't start banning binaries and hopefully they catch him/them.

My guess is the detonator involved a mechanical timer rigged up to complete an electrical circuit between a battery and an E-match which in turn lit some type of cap. That seems to be a common setup in these types of attacks.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 20:00

Quote: Originally posted by camerican  
The bombs in NYC used a binary explosive mixture similar to Tannerite. I guess all that's left is to find out how they were detonated.

Read all of the NY Times articles, the bombs were triggered with cell phones. Not sure of the details of how that works, not really my forte.

camerican
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 20:17

Sorry, I should have made myself clear-I was referring to what kind of primary was used to initiate the detonation of the bomb.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 21:08

Low explosives (usually propellants) are available in large quantities at most gun stores. High explosives are just as regulated as anywhere else, with the exception of primers for centerfire cartridges.

Primers are classified as 1.4S for shipping- and are a class of explosives which may be bought and posessed by any adult in the USA with no license required, shipable (with an extra HazMat fee) anywhere in USA by ground. They are designed to produce hot gasses (flame) and hot particles to ignite propellants in response to a shock from a firing pin. They may contain some percentage of a primary explosive (Lead styphnate, DDNP or others) but primer pellet mixtures will not initiate common civil or military secondary explosives such as dynamites, PETN det cords, TNT & etc. I and numerous others have tried to do so- even after collecting the contents of numerous centerfire or rimfire primers, these formulations will not do the job.

Anyone with a moderate exposure to.the explosive arts and the desire could come up with higher performance and cheaper mixtures.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-9-2016 at 21:27

Peculiar that this event takes place right after America bombs dozens of Syrian troops helping ISIS recapture a city

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 03:56

Ned's head has been missing since the postmortem after he was hung, how would it have got internet access?

Bombs are unique weapons in that the attacker pretty much always leaves the whole weapon at or near the crime scene to be found and examined. If authorities care to do so, the origins will be known

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 04:07

Quote:
Peculiar that this event takes place right after America bombs dozens of Syrian troops helping ISIS recapture a city.

If that's a joke, I don't quite get it?

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 04:11

You know your Aussie history Bert! I'm impressed, it's my iron helmet, it picks up and transmits wifi signals

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 05:20

Quote:
You know your Aussie history Bert!

Yeah, it's all about Kelly?

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 06:36

My original comment was just a sceptical observation about the order of events, although it could just be the "signal amplifying" iron helmet talking, I'll switch back to tin foil shortly. yes, the follow up conversation with Bert was about Kelly

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 06:48

Tannerite is NOT a Binary, it is a sensitized secondary explosive, all it is is Ammonium nitrate and aluminium, So what they really are saying it was a fertilizer bomb.

But given the general intelligence displayed by politicians I doubt the very big difference will matter.

As for initiation any half descent cap and a bit of booster will do, or with the aluminium sensitizer a half assed cap will do!
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 07:37

Looks like they got him!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-19/two-police-officers...

camerican
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-9-2016 at 07:46

Wow, that was fast! Good to see the guy in custody before he set anything else off.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top