Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "Bumping" Mg from MgSO4
baconaut
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-10-2006 at 21:58
"Bumping" Mg from MgSO4

Hello, I am going to attempt an experiment where I make a solution of MgSO4 and water and attempt the "bump" the Magnesium out and replace it with another metal, like iron. I did this with CuSO4 and Fe in class, and want to know if what I am attempting would work.

Am I wrong to assume that this would work with other metals, and could someone please explain to me why the sulfate "preferred" the iron instead of the copper, so I can find another suitable metal to try this with, if any?

Not trying to get you guys to do my homework, I'm doing this independent of school and want to LEARN! woo...:P
evil_lurker
National Hazard

Mood: On the wagon again.

[*] posted on 26-10-2006 at 22:49

It has to do with the electrical potential of the metals and yes it does work with certain other metals.

However, it is impossible to get elemental magnesium this way because magnesium being an alkali metal it will instantly react with the water forming magnesium hydroxide.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 27-10-2006 at 00:04

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_lurker
However, it is impossible to get elemental magnesium this way because magnesium being an alkali metal it will instantly react with the water forming magnesium hydroxide.

It is not about being an alkali metal, it is about the redox potentials and their difference. Magnesium does indeed react with water when finely divided (but when in pieces it does so very slowly). However this is not the reason why one can not reduce magnesium cations to magnesium metal with iron metal. The reason is simply in that the redox potential of the Fe -> Fe(2+) + 2e(-) reaction is not high enough to drive the Mg(2+) + 2e(-) -> Mg reaction. It is the same reason in that one can not electrolyze water at room temperature when using, for example 1V potential between the electrodes, but can do so when using 3V.

Reading material for beginners:
AN INTRODUCTION TO REDOX EQUILIBRIA and ELECTRODE POTENTIALS
THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SERIES

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 27-10-2006 at 06:15

I suppose in theory you might get the reaction MgO + Fe = FeO + Mg(g), but MgO is a really fucking stable compound, I don't see it working. Everything would have to melt together at the very least, and vacuum would be needed to pull off the magnesium vapor. Magnesium thermite goes strongly to the left in the above equation, and gets very hot in the process (2500C+). You would have to get still hotter than that to produce any results. Even carbon has trouble reducing magnesium, as Mg(g) + CO(g) = MgO(s) + C(s). You can heat carbon and magnesia, but it'll only condense the same thing unless you cool the (rather hot) gasses quickly, subliming the Mg metal before it can react with the CO. Similarly for aluminum, which forms a carbide as well.

Alkali metal oxides can be reduced by alkaline earths, aluminum and carbon. Most such reactions produce alkali vapor. You might react an alkali metal with an alkaline earth chloride, where ionic behavior is stronger than in oxides.

Tim

[Edited on 10-27-2006 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-10-2006 at 06:41

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_lurker
It has to do with the electrical potential of the metals and yes it does work with certain other metals.

Also, Magnesium is not an alkali metal. It's an alkaline-earth metal which is distinctly different. You'll have a tough time getting Mg to react with water at room temperature, but not so with an alkali.

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.

Go To Top