Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A Possible Case for Wearing Natural Fibers
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2016 at 08:25

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

I find that natural fibers 'breathe' allowing sweat to evaporate rather than run down my body.

This depends mostly on how the fiber is woven and less on the choice of fiber.
You never know what you'll learn from a relation with a costume maker :)
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-11-2016 at 08:40

In related news.

"Microbeads are typically abrasives found in some facial scrubs, shower gels, toothpastes, shampoos, and soaps. They also can be fragments of plastic bags, or bits of plastic fiber in clothes."
"Canada this month took steps toward joining the United States in banning the sale of personal-hygiene products that contain tiny plastics known as microbeads." (Reddit headline)
http://www.toledoblade.com/Politics/2016/11/28/Canada-sets-i...

For review
"researchers at the University of California at Santa Barbara found that, on average, synthetic fleece jackets release 1.7 grams of microfibers each wash. It also found that older jackets shed almost twice as many fibers as new jackets."
"Microbeads, recently banned in the US, are a better-known variety of microplastic, but recent studies have found microfibers to be even more pervasive."
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/20/microfib...

[Edited on 28-11-2016 by Morgan]
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 08:12

Around the 6 minute mark is really sad.
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2016/12/world/midway-plastic-...

A new egg for Wisdom the Laysan albatross! At 66 she is the oldest confirmed wild bird in the world. Great momma!
http://i.imgur.com/kzzE1Jx.jpg

Comments
"Island of midway is where she nests."

"So pretty protected. Nothing there but a US Military base."

"And a few FAA guys, FWS people, and a bunch of Thai workers. And probably the most remote bar in the world. And a shitload of plastic in the ocean that these guys ingest and feed to their chicks.
Source: Oceanographer; been there, played volleyball with the Thai guys outside the aforementioned bar, and unfortunately saw the dead baby birds with stomachs full of lighters, line, and bottle caps."
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/5hkdd7/a_new_egg_for_...

[Edited on 11-12-2016 by Morgan]
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2016 at 15:02

I happened to see some T-shirts labeled staycool temperature control on some "100% cotton" shirts and was perplexed by what it could be. So apparently there's some phase-change material in some ordinary Jockey T-shirts these days. Jockey said there was all of a gain of 3 degrees cooler than a ordinary T-shirts. On the care instructions it says tumble dry low. Somewhere I read it was a wax, and I wondered if it was something like coconut oil that melts around room temperature.
Anyway here's an example of 100% cotton with some mysterious encapsulated waxy material I don't think I'd want even if it is inert. Wonder what the threads look like under a microscope, if you could see any difference? How might the encapsulation bonded to the cotton work/adhere and what would the environmental impact be, if the particles are of any concern, like the microbead problem.?
https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2012/cg_3.html
http://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/jockey-staycool-crew-n...

[Edited on 26-12-2016 by Morgan]
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 15:55

Saw this on Reddit today. Some good footage.
Plastic China (2017) - a sobering look at what actually happens after our recycled are collected. Our trashes are shipped to China and processed by workers (many of them elderly women and children) working in dangerous and toxic conditions
塑料王国媒体版 王久良 超清
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsFdEXyXjBU

[Edited on 8-1-2017 by Morgan]
tsathoggua1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorescent

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 06:38

I too, FAR prefer cotton to synthetics.

Although for a labcoat, I stick to wearing a heavy leather trenchcoat, that is, for looks, past its best, and I bought others. The reason for that, being it doesn't absorb flammables if spilled as easily as fabric, acids, bases etc. are slower to both burn through and to soak through to burn ME than a cotton labcoat would be.

Been contemplating doing what I like for leathers worn for comfort/looks with the scrappy old one (any rents in that old coat used in the lab, are at the back, which of course is unlikely to be facing something trying to cause mischief.) for leathers worn for pleasure, I like to line them with Pb dust shot in sealed plastic packets, covered by a liner
so as to provide as much extra weight as is practical and attach a few straps to go round the body for tight compression. Thought came to me the other night, why not line the scrappy old trench with lead sheet, fashioned into scale-mail not only for a more comfortable bit of clothing, but it would have the added benefit of being able to take some pretty severe punishment in case of an accident, that leather will slow, but if it were a standard cotton labcoat being worn, things like 98% H2SO4 would go straight through it, and burn the wearer. That leather trench, unmodified with compression and weighting has stood up to concentrated acid in time for it to be washed off (albeit near instantly) without causing any but minor damage. But something like sulfuric of that concentration for example, would eat through a cotton labcoat in no time flat, and soak in straight away whilst doing it, burning the wearer. Un-leaded leather coats (its a sensory thing, if anyone is wondering, auties usually like compression of the body, weighting the coat and adding leather belt-fashion bands for compression on a leather jacket several times too small, for me makes for a really quite comfy item of clothing.

But I just bet, especially if the lead were to be on the outside rather than in, that it would aid lab attire in surviving what would otherwise disintegrate the likes of cotton cloth.

Definitely more in favour of natural fibers rather than synthetics on the whole, silk aside due to the inherent cruelty involved in its manifacture, not that the likes of me could afford it, run the lab and eat, but I dislike intensely practices such as the throwing of live moth larvae into boiling H2O. As for wool..no. Just...no. The mere thought of the texture of the stuff makes my skin crawl, and I just cannot, and will not touch woolen anything. The one exception was a woolen fleece that had a fabric inner lining. That was tolerable, but it fell victim to an incident involving some manner or manners of alkyl and/or aryl R-SH, which after having to stay in the same clothing for about a week whilst the mercaptan compound(s?) worked their way out of my system (produed in-vivo as metabolite(s?) of something, not at all pleasant having odoriferous thiol derivatives in one's proximity, and when part of the total content is coming from INSIDE one, including nasal fluid, that is something most aversive, to say the very least)

So, All that clothing had to stay unchanged for the duration, and be bagged, taken to the middle of nowhere, and burnt, because there was no way in hell they could have been put into the outside household bin. The shoes and metal piercings were the only things worn which were able to be salvaged. Just think of what, for example, lower-weight alkyl mercaptans are like, then imagine producing it in your nose. For incidents which cause no physical harm to the subject experiencing them, unless Se or Te were to be involved in place of sulfur, things don't GET much more traumatic than producing them IN your nose:D
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 14-1-2017 at 01:52

Quote: Originally posted by Morgan  

"The range of plastic microfibres found ingested/internalised by organisms studied here included modified acrylic, polypropylene, viscose, polyester, and acrylic. Polypropylene has been found to adsorb PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls), nonylphenol and DDE, an organochlorine pesticide7. Polyethylene, a type of polyolefin fibre whose chemical composition in part is the basis of some polyester fibres (e.g. polyethylene terephthalate), has been found to adsorb four times more PCBs than polypropylene44. Polypropylene has also been found to adsorb a range of metals in a marine environment; the concentrations of most of these metals did not saturate over a year period suggesting plastics in the oceans for long time periods accumulate greater concentrations of metals."
Plastic microfibre ingestion by deep-sea organisms
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep33997

Well that bit in the middle about polyethylene being the basis of PET is flat out bullshit. Why do they think that, because they both have the words 'polyethylene'in their non-systematic names.
I hate them already.
Was anything else interesting said in the article?

Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 14-1-2017 at 01:59

"The range of plastic microfibres found ingested/internalised by organisms studied here included modified acrylic, polypropylene, viscose, polyester, and acrylic. Polypropylene has been found to adsorb PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls), nonylphenol and DDE, an organochlorine pesticide7. Polyethylene, a type of polyolefin fibre whose chemical composition in part is the basis of some polyester fibres (e.g. polyethylene terephthalate), has been found to adsorb four times more PCBs than polypropylene44. Polypropylene has also been found to adsorb a range of metals in a marine environment; the concentrations of most of these metals did not saturate over a year period suggesting plastics in the oceans for long time periods accumulate greater concentrations of metals."
Plastic microfibre ingestion by deep-sea organisms
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep33997

Well that bit in the middle about polyethylene being the basis of PET is flat out bullshit. Why do they think that, because they both have the words 'polyethylene'in their non-systematic names.
I hate them already.
Was anything else interesting said in the article?

Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 05:34

Saw this on Reddit today. Some good footage.
Plastic China (2017) - a sobering look at what actually happens after our recycled are collected. Our trashes are shipped to China and processed by workers (many of them elderly women and children) working in dangerous and toxic conditions
塑料王国媒体版 王久良 超清-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsFdEXyXjBU

[Edited on 8-1-2017 by Morgan]

On a TV program Sunday Morning this morning they mentioned China has a new policy starting January 1 this year they are no longer accepting plastic from other countries - unless it's "impossibly pure" or (99.5% pure) obviously unobtainable. Some recycling centers in the U.S. are going out of business because they can no longer sell it to China. There was a shot of a recycling center in Salem, Oregon where the plastic is just piling up. The town had to ask people to stop putting certain types of plastic in their recycling bins. The response from the public was outrage.

Plastic China
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ooRVhRt1p54

[Edited on 5-8-2018 by Morgan]
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 15:46

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  
Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  

I find that natural fibers 'breathe' allowing sweat to evaporate rather than run down my body.

This depends mostly on how the fiber is woven and less on the choice of fiber.
You never know what you'll learn from a relation with a costume maker :)

This isn't quite accurate, which is clear from the experiences of anyone who has worn cotton and polyester clothing. Synthetic fiber can be woven to breathe, and because polyester and nylon are very strong they can be woven with tiny holes to breathe very well, but water vapor is only part of the situation. Cellulosic fibers (cotton, linen, hemp, rayon, bamboo) and silk also soak up liquid water! This isn't desirable for athletic clothing, but for casual wear it can make them feel a lot less sticky. The water of crystallization can evaporate and cools the garment.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Artisanal Witch
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-9-2018 at 08:08

Okay, here's the little nuggets of experience I have to contribute as a life-long home sewer from generations of the same.

If you clip your un-tailored shirts (T-shirts, sweatshirts, polo shirts) upside down with a hanger in them, the weight of the hanger pulls the wrinkles out of the shirt. If the shirt has long sleeves, pin the cuffs to the line or to the side seams of the shirt. Any clothespin marks will be on the hems or the cuffs without distorting the shoulders.

If you are drying sweaters or garments that need shaping around the shoulders, fold a towel in half, and then fold the towel over a hanger. The towel will hold the shoulders smooth like a Poor Man's Tailor's Dummy while the garment dries. The towel also helps dry it faster, with bonus points if you also change out the towel as it gets damp.

I buy cashmere and Italian merino wool sweaters from thrift stores and wear them as sweatshirts. I wash them on my machine's super-gentle cycle with only cold water, then line-dry them. It takes a lot of washes for them to shrink, and then I deliberately felt them and cut other things out of them - mittens, boot insoles, etc. Long before they shrink, I either get glue on them or moth holes send them to the salvage pile.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2018 at 06:57

There is a scene starting around the 5 minute mark involving lavage that is most worrisome/horrifying in some respects. Part two of this documentary addresses micro plastics and synthetic fibers.

Drowning in Plastic
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6uk7h5
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top