Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Suspected again for radiation-crime?
Xanax
Hazard to Self

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 14:54
Suspected again for radiation-crime?

In the year 2011 I was arrested for crime against the radiatonsafty law. See my blog;
http://richardsreactor.blogspot.com

I was also suspected for crime against the law about chemical and biological weapon, when the found ricin and abrin in my apartment. But I didn't know that it was illegal, so I was not convicted for that. But I was convicted for crime against the radiatonsafty law and illegal enviroment activities. And got fine åt 13600 kr, that is about little less than 2000$.

But for about a half year ago, the police stopped me when I was biking at my world. My psychopath ex-girlfriend had tipped the police that I have dangerous materials at home. This was really ridiculous, they seducted the whole block and sent in to my apartment with protectionsuits with breathingunits... I live, eat and sleep in my totalt harmless apartment.

The landlord got totalt angry and tryed to kick me out as soon as possible. But I took it to the court and won.

I think they found one little piece of Americium from a smoke-detector. At the first trial, my lawyer asked the wittnes from the Swedish Radiatonsafty Authorothy, how much it is legal to have at home. He said 100 kBq, the piece from the smoke-detector is 37 kBq. But I think I am still suspected for something...

I wonder, what the laws in your countries said about radioactive materials?

Sorry for the spelling, my board is autocorrecting in swedish.

[Edited on 3-10-2016 by Xanax]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 15:03

Imagined.

Alcohol and other drugs are like that.

Xanax
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 15:09

Yes, I can commit that I am än alcoholic, but have started a treatment with disulfiram now. And i have 6 types of psych-medicines... Some for depression, some for schizofrenia, some against anxiety and some for sleeping.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 17:24

Honestly if spraying radioactive bullshit around your kitchen like this isn't some kind of crime, it really should be. Pretty sure that post came up at one point in one of the threads we have here about people doing terribly stupid things with chemistry.

Richard, the way that you handle radioactive materials is reckless and irresponsible. You're making those of us who actually try to be safe and professional look bad by furthering the stereotype that amateur chemists have little regard for the safety of themselves and others around them.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 20:00

If it is illegal to have more than 100 kBq of radioactive material in your domicile in Sweden would they bust you for having 6.2 kg of salt substitute (potassium chloride)?

About that which we cannot speak, we must remain silent.
-Wittgenstein

Some things can never be spoken
Some things cannot be pronounced
That word does not exist in any language
It will never be uttered by a human mouth
- The Talking Heads
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
3-10-2016 at 20:39
Xanax
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-10-2016 at 15:15

I agree that I was irresponsible the first time. But the other time I had done nothing illegal. It is ridiculous to call in the bombsquad, the radiatonsafty authorothy with protectionsuits and all that.
Maroboduus
Hazard to Others

Mood: vacant

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 19:02

The law only allows 100 kBq and a smoke detector has 37????

So It's illegal to have 3 smoke detectors in your house???

Your nation's laws make Smokey The Bear cry!

If you have a big house over there I suppose you'd better position those 2 detectors very carefully.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 20:53

Quote: Originally posted by Maroboduus  
The law only allows 100 kBq and a smoke detector has 37????

So It's illegal to have 3 smoke detectors in your house???

Your nation's laws make Smokey The Bear cry!

If you have a big house over there I suppose you'd better position those 2 detectors very carefully.

Or three avocados.
https://news.ncsu.edu/2016/10/radioactive-avocado-2016/

Rob Lavington
Harmless

Mood: enthusiastic

sad.gif posted on 15-10-2016 at 03:45
Unreal.

Quote: Originally posted by Xanax  
In the year 2011 I was arrested for crime against the radiatonsafty law. See my blog;
http://richardsreactor.blogspot.com

I was also suspected for crime against the law about chemical and biological weapon, when the found ricin and abrin in my apartment. But I didn't know that it was illegal, so I was not convicted for that. But I was convicted for crime against the radiatonsafty law and illegal enviroment activities. And got fine åt 13600 kr, that is about little less than 2000$.

But for about a half year ago, the police stopped me when I was biking at my world. My psychopath ex-girlfriend had tipped the police that I have dangerous materials at home. This was really ridiculous, they seducted the whole block and sent in to my apartment with protectionsuits with breathingunits... I live, eat and sleep in my totalt harmless apartment.

The landlord got totalt angry and tryed to kick me out as soon as possible. But I took it to the court and won.

I think they found one little piece of Americium from a smoke-detector. At the first trial, my lawyer asked the wittnes from the Swedish Radiatonsafty Authorothy, how much it is legal to have at home. He said 100 kBq, the piece from the smoke-detector is 37 kBq. But I think I am still suspected for something...

I wonder, what the laws in your countries said about radioactive materials?

Sorry for the spelling, my board is autocorrecting in swedish.

[Edited on 3-10-2016 by Xanax]

I have to say I am gobsmacked by all of this.
Xanax, how do you think that conducting yourself in this way does any service to you, us or the world of chemistry at all??
I sincerely hope that the authorities spare you nothing on their next visit. Do you know how much work has gone in to keeping our rights to practice chemistry at home?? I doubt it.
Take my advice and give it up before you end up looking down the wrong end of a G36.
Get yourself into Rehab, go and make something of your life as clearly you live in sqaulor and filth and your mind is not straight.
did you realise you could be the single reason that people in northern europe loose their right to have any chemicals at all? This nearly happened in the U.K. because of terrorism.
You are a terrorist of a different kind, the same disregard for life that is common to all terrorists. Your rights above anyone else's regardless of the cost.
I am glad I do not live next door to you, as a damaged and attention seeking person I guess you now have the attention you have been looking for.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 15-10-2016 at 08:50

Please don't feed highly radioactive trolls, especially with Pu ;)

You do have a point or two, but maybe are being a little bit too harsh.

I do agree that you have to be very careful who you have as a neighbour, which is why i bought a house where there are none.

Rob Lavington
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-10-2016 at 10:44

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Please don't feed highly radioactive trolls, especially with Pu ;)

You do have a point or two, but maybe are being a little bit too harsh.

I do agree that you have to be very careful who you have as a neighbour, which is why i bought a house where there are none.

Apologies if you consider my response to this as harsh but in truth it does not go far enough. Do you think that I am a troll? Really? Is speaking out trolling now? A new label to maliciously place on someone regardless of their motives.
My response reflects the passion of someone who has practiced as an amateur chemist for decades and, due to the actions of others, now has to be licenced to keep the chemicals I choose to.
My freedoms are restricted because of Idiots (of every kind)
A new thinking needs to permeate the world of amateur chemistry that eliminates this type of insanity or the authorities will do it for us.
Gone are the days where blowing up a fridge on waste ground was considered fun, now the authorities will hang you if caught.
How much time do you think we all have left and what are we leaving for the next Generation of inquiring minds?
Seriously, the future is on our doorstep now.

[Edited on 21-10-2016 by Rob Lavington]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-10-2016 at 11:49

Appologies : i was flippantly referring to the OP as a troll, not you.

Freedoms are restricted due to people wishing to control you, not by Other Idiots' Actions.

OIAs are simply excuses. Convenient if they occur naturally, easy to fabricate if not.

Under any set of restrictions you are free to choose what you do.

What you appear to be lamenting is that the Consequences are now more severe than previously.

Xanax et al are in no way resposible for, nor even connected with, the changes in Law.

This all skirts dangerously close to Politics, which was banned from this site recently.

It would be great to hear about your exploits during decades of amateur Chemistry.

Rob Lavington
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-10-2016 at 15:17

Ok, Back on track a bit then.

The post is in 'Legal and Societal Issues'

That in itself is dangerously close politics! Not that I wish to be political but how do these matters get discussed?

To avoid controversey we could ban 'legal and societal issues' I suppose!

The actions of people like this give us a bad name and legislation against individuals in the UK owning chemicals has never been in place until recently. hundreds of years of freedom brought to an end. All due to high profile incidents and subsequent Knee jerk reactions.
If it wanted to, the UK government could have acted before the counter terrorism initiative but saw no need. Even then the current law is generous towards us, it could have been complete prohibition.

To get back to the original point It would be fair to say that there is Cause and effect regardless of the 'other' motives of government. Effect: Knee jerk tighter Laws. Cause: The irresponsible or malicious actions of others.

If I blew my fingers off or got poisoned or scared people with my set up don't you think the authorities are justified in doing something about it?
Or do you believe that its rights over responsibilities at all costs?
What about my neighbours rights to live without fear of my actions accidentally getting them hurt?

The final point is that someone may read this and think "hmm, they're not all idiots" That has to be a good thing.

If some Amateurs practiced differently then the rest of us would be better understood.

Decades of amateur chemistry, yes had some great fun.
My local Chemist shops used to supply me with everything and myself and a mate had the free run of a basement which was our makeshift Lab. 20 coach batteries wired up in parallel and a Sodium making 'plant' that went bang. No neighbours to upset thankfully. That was in the 1970's. Nowadays Lots of organised fun without the bangs! Anyway that is now off topic so I'll stop there.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 21-10-2016 at 15:34

Before the advent of the nanny state and terrorists, say back in the '50s, people regularly got hurt with home chemistry. The authorities and the general public were aware of this but it was treated as "just another accident." Knee jerk laws were not enacted.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 21-10-2016 at 15:48

I know where you're coming from, Magpie, but did you see this guy's blog? He claims to have boiled a mixture of concentrated sulfuric acid with salts of americium, radium, and uranium on his kitchen stove, and it bumped and splattered all over his kitchen. I agree with Rob Lavington. Xanax/Richard is not a real amateur chemist, he's just a kewl who likes playing with radioactive compounds and making really dangerous messes.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Maroboduus
Hazard to Others

Mood: vacant

[*] posted on 21-10-2016 at 17:23

Actually, Xanax makes it clear in his posts that he's a schizophrenic and an alcoholic. he is quite open and forthright about this, which is to his credit, but it does cast a different light on what's been going on in his apartment.

I certainly agree with Magpie and Rod Lavington about the good old days. I've been away from home chemistry for a long time, but I started out as a foolhardy kid in the 1970s, and it was a different world back then.

Even in the early 90s I was able to buy Lithium Aluminum Hydride over the counter with no questions asked(had to sign for it, unlike earlier, but if you're not up to no good, or at least not up to no good in a large way, that's not really a problem).

Allyl chloride, hydroiodic acid, Sulfan. These were all available from a very disreputable chemical supply shop in East Oakland called chemicals for research and industry. They'd sell anything to anybody with a pulse.

They probably sold red P too, but I never asked. They DID sell various phosphorus halides and oxyhalides.

Ahhh, the good old days.

Nowadays, you go into a shop and ask for hydrobromic acid, and they look at you like you just asked for 5Lbs of fresh human pineal glands.

[Edited on 22-10-2016 by Maroboduus]
mikeehlert
Harmless

Mood: Learning something new

[*] posted on 16-11-2016 at 09:40

Quote: Originally posted by Maroboduus  

Ahhh, the good old days.

Nowadays, you go into a shop and ask for hydrobromic acid, and they look at you like you just asked for 5Lbs of fresh human pineal glands.
[Edited on 22-10-2016 by Maroboduus]

Used to buy pound and 5 pound jars of things like sulfer, saltpeter, and charcoal at the local Rexall Drug store off the shelf. Just carry to checkout and pay.:)

Didn't hurt me any but then I am not the Lowest Common Denominator the recent nanny state laws are written to protect.:D

Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

Go To Top