Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: thiamine uses
exodia
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 21:49
thiamine uses

Hello everyone, I have some niacin and thiamine tablets of which I'm planning purification.

for niacin I will go for pyridine synthesis, if it's any other useful chemical/reagent that can be synthetized from it I'll be grateful to know.

for thiamine I'm not sure what to do with it (they are both B group vitamins but chemically they come from different places so chemical structure its completely different) so I'm not sure if I cant synthetize or convert any useful reagent from it.
Cryolite.
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 22:32

Thiamine can be used as a catalyst in the benzoin condensation. This is lower yielding than the traditional route using cyanide catalyst, but is considerably safer and more general. I believe there is a writeup in Prepublication for a procedure.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
4-10-2016 at 07:29
exodia
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-10-2016 at 19:05

thank you cryolite, I have been looking at the benzoin condensation and it does look like a fun thing to try (even funnier without cyanide)
I have been looking around and haven´t found anything else worth doing with it, I guess I´ll just purify, try the benzoin and store it for further ideas.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 05:43

Quote: Originally posted by exodia  
I have been looking at the benzoin condensation and it does look like a fun thing to try (even funnier without cyanide)

here is the thread -https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=66...

Go To Top