Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Ammonium Hydroxide
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 16-10-2016 at 08:18

Quote: Originally posted by Maroboduus  
Try bubbling it through 2 flasks. The first one will absorb most of the ammonia in getting to the point where ammonia passes through. That means the second one will get much less and absorb it pretty well. Could you use any ammonia salts? When you do your runs put different acids in the second bottle and make ammonium sulphate, phosphate, hydrochloride, acetate. The acid will do a great job of scrubbing the air, and if you don't need the salts you can regenerate ammonia from them with more lye

Or you could capture it in 5% ammonia from the store, then use this as your starting solution next time you make it. Really, store-bought ammonia is probably not much different in price than distilled water, so why start at zero? If you want to make a salt to keep the smell down, ammonium acetate will turn into acetamide when heated, and it tends to sublimate easily, so it's probably not the best salt to make. It acetic acid smells pretty strongly too.

As far as what ammonium salt to make, phosphates would be my choice. At least the di- and triammonium phosphates will release ammonia when heated sufficiently, if your goal is reclaiming it later. Also makes a great fertilizer, or yeast nutrient for brewing.

Edit: I'm not sure why everyone thinks you need lye to make ammonia from ammonium salts. That's only true for the salts of volatile acids like HCl and HNO3, and ammonium bisulfate. Urea, and any sulfate or phosphate salt with at least two ammonium ions will give them up with just an application of heat. The only issue is possible suck-back, but you can solve that problem forever just by buying a handful of cheap one-way fuel valves on eBay for about $1 apiece. I mean, it may be easier, I guess, but I try not to use $7/pound NaOH unless I really need to.

[Edited on 10/16/16 by Melgar]
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-10-2016 at 11:38

Thank you all for the responses, urea is cheap, but NaOH... seems a little expensive...

It seems like it would cost about the same to just buy it depending on the ratio of NaOH to Urea...

I will have to look into what melgar is suggesting.. Thank you!!

Cheers to All!
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 16-10-2016 at 16:34

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
The nomenclature of "ammonium hydroxide" may be as common as dirt, but it's still wrong.

Hydroxides don't have to ionize to be hydroxides. Magnesium hydroxide, for example, barely ionizes at all. Still a hydroxide.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 16-10-2016 at 16:37

Quote: Originally posted by Melgar  
The nomenclature of "ammonium hydroxide" may be as common as dirt, but it's still wrong.

Hydroxides don't have to ionize to be hydroxides. Magnesium hydroxide, for example, barely ionizes at all. Still a hydroxide.

That's because it contains hydroxide ions (it barely ionizes because it barely dissolves). Aqueous ammonia contains ammonia molecules and water molecules.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

[*] posted on 16-10-2016 at 16:42

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
Thank you all for the responses, urea is cheap, but NaOH... seems a little expensive...

It seems like it would cost about the same to just buy it depending on the ratio of NaOH to Urea...

I will have to look into what melgar is suggesting.. Thank you!!

Cheers to All!

I've done this before plenty of times, mostly trying to make potassium cyanate. Always a massive amount of ammonia gas generated. If you're going to get rid of the cyanuric acid that's left over, my only advice would be to use some sort of disposable container, preferably metal. Cyanuric acid, when cooled, looks and feels like hardened plaster, and is just as much fun to clean out of glassware.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 16-10-2016 at 22:20

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
Hello All,

I am looking for 26-29% Ammonium Hydroxide.

I am quite surprised by how expensive it is, I bought a liter from ebay for about $20.

I know this chemical is used in industry extensively, and in vast quantities, so I am surprised at the difficulty of acquisition.

It does not need to be lab grade.

After another search this is the cheapest I can find.. but they want $25 for shipping: http://www.hvchemical.com/ammonium-hydroxide-28-1-gal-aqua-a...

I live in a town of over a million in the States, are there any types of stores you think I would have luck with?

Or other websites?

Blueprint developer is about the cheapest, strogest ammonia solution commonly available OTC.

28% cost about $64.00 for a case of 4 gallons, plus about $7.00 for a local courier company to deliver, last time I needed some.

Try looking for a blueprint machine/supply store, ask at a local graphic materials supplier, enginering supply, etc. if you can't find it online. A local purchase without outrageous shipping should be possible in just about any decent sized USA metro area.

7a6984_8d82639cc340055f0395c9b176433195.jpg - 63kB

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2016 at 21:37

Bert,

Thank you much!
NitratedKittens
Hazard to Others

Mood: Carbonated

[*] posted on 15-12-2016 at 08:58

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Less than 5% of it actually ionizes to give ammonium ions and hydroxide ions.

Huh ?

Ammonia dissolves up to 47 w% in ice cold water.

Is that not the same as making Ions ?

Is dissolution not the same as ion-making ?
(well, it wasn't for the monasteries i guess)

I can feel an 'aga is a dumfuk' moment about to happen (again).

No, actually what what happens when ammonia hits water is hydrogen bonds form between the lone pairs on the ammonia and the hydrogens on the water and vice-versa this is why water has such a great affinity for ammonia.

Attachment: Ammonia.tiff (45kB)
This file has been downloaded 781 times

Basket of kittens for you ........BOOM
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top