Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Author asking for basic chemistry ideas for fiction.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-10-2016 at 12:43

Quote: Originally posted by beethelzar  
This is a tad above my head, being trained as a computer programmer I know little about chem.

As you do, could you comment on the possibility of converting ambient air for the purpose of generation of nitric oxide.
Above I mentioned a patent which uses a large spark gap to convert to NO.
I just want to know, is this perhaps rubbish? IE just a patent?
Or if I design a unit with an air flow tube with say 100 spark gaps, that NO or NO2 would actually be a significant part of outflow.
The story is about people the world over building these devices levering governments, corporations and religions to halt and live better than environmentally balanced.

[Edited on 20-10-2016 by beethelzar]

Yes. To quote from one of my prior threads:

"One interesting paper is "Treatment of N2O impulsed microwave torch discharge " by M.Jasinski, et. al., April 2004 . To quote: "Results of using a moderate–power (several hundred Watts) pulsed microwave torch plasma (MTP) to the conversion of atmospheric-pressure nitrous oxide (N2O) into nitrogen oxides( NO, NO2 and N2O4) are presented." with a claimed efficiency between 70% to 90% depending on the power of the microwave. Link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&... "

Link: https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=34...

Basically, make a fisk hook out of Aluminum foil and connect it inside an expandable container (which is further compressed to avoid containment bursting) resembling a light bulb filament. In a microwave controlled to produce only short burst , the Al produces large sparks which are technically an impulsed microwave torch discharge. In an atmosphere of laughing gas, N2O (sold in stores like ingestable CO2 cartridges) and oxygen enriched air, the science and my experiment clearly produced nitric oxide NO, NO2,.... The latter gases reacts with aqueous acidified bleach (forming hypochlorous acid, HOCl) producing nitric acid HNO3, at least on a small scale (limit of vessel size in the microwave).

[Edited on 20-10-2016 by AJKOER]
beethelzar
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-10-2016 at 15:06

Didn't write "knows a little", I wrote "knows little", as in almost nothing. But I'm loving reading about it for the first time. Almost as good as physics :-)

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
The Birkland-Eyde process just has a spark in normal air which gets the N2 to react with the O2 to make NO, NO2, NOx.

Simple as that really.

Quote:
as a computer programmer I know little about chem.

I'm a programmer that knows a little about chem ! (very little really).

[Edited on 20-10-2016 by beethelzar]
ficolas
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-10-2016 at 15:42

Quote:

Almost as good as physics :-)

</3
:mad:
< / 3

[Edited on 20-10-2016 by ficolas]
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-10-2016 at 18:43

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I don't know where you'd get the energy required for that.

antimatter ?
beethelzar
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-10-2016 at 11:54

[
This was just totally friendly cheeky.

rquote=464484&tid=70055&author=ficolas]
Quote:

Almost as good as physics :-)

</3
:mad:
< / 3

[Edited on 20-10-2016 by ficolas][/rquote]
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-10-2016 at 12:29

Quote: Originally posted by beethelzar  
Didn't write "knows a little", I wrote "knows little"

Erm, yeah.

My response was merely a slay on plurds.

beethelzar
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-10-2016 at 11:27

Hi guys. To finish this up. You were right, the energy for reducing 1% oxygen by a method like in the patent I linked to above, is ludicrous. Air->NO Industrial machines efficiency is much better but not even close.
The waste product of this process is NO or NO^2.
As the level of NO^2 in our atmospere is 0.000002% as compared to O^2 which is 20.95%, the ratio may allow a new attack (plausible) on our global environment for my writing purposes.
I haven't done necessary research yet, but it does look promising. As this was about leverage to oust global powers if necessary in future. NO^2 poisoning wasn't considered, just oxygen depletion.
Still I thought I'd mention to you great guys, as free and open exchange of ideas.
Cheers.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 22-10-2016 at 11:46

You're welcome.

Do we get a free copy of the book, each ?

Signed of course, just in case we can one day sell 'em for loadsamoney and buy some chemicals to mess with.

beethelzar
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-10-2016 at 16:37

More chemicals, more chemicals. Ha
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 27-11-2016 at 08:29

Into a closed recipient, Cu dissolved into NH4OH takes O2 from the air to make Cu(NH3)4(2+) and leave only N2 and rare gases.

Fiction... :);):D:P
A gigantic directional solar eruption drives hot H2 from the sun into the earth atmosphere where it explodes into a whooosshh fireball forming only water vapour and leaving N2, CO2 and rare gases....

[Edited on 27-11-2016 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 16:42

Yet, there have been times in our geological history, when there was very little free oxygen in the atmosphere.

We live on what is largely a big ball of Iron. If a significant amount of that Iron were burned in the Atmosphere.....Zippo to life.

Also to be considered: there is a lot of Carbon lurking about, both as coal, and as Methane Hydrate. This has led to mass extinctions before.

Seems to me Siberia caught on fire once. There were long lasting consequences.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 00:53

a few days back,I was watching a show called-"doomsday:10 ways the world will end" and the episode was "rogue planet".If the earth got too near to a huge planet,the gravitational force of that planet would suck out earth's atmosphere.The same thing could happen with a black hole-https://youtu.be/i0Q3yk7KzYA?t=133
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top