Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: engineering a composite
professional_wallflower
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-10-2016 at 00:31
engineering a composite

I am trying to create a composite consisting of a strong material/polymer added to a flexible, adhesive matrix.

Natural rubber or polyisoprene can form the flexible base. Polyterpene resin can serve as a tackifier. I would use resorcinol- formaldehyde latex to bond the strong material to the matrix. The strong material should have tensile strength < ~50 Mpa and it needs to either be compatible with the bonding agent or to naturally bond to the matrix. I think Cellulose acetate would work. The entire composite would be dissolved or at least partially dissolved (maybe remain a thixotropic gel or liquid). The composite would be forced through a heated spinneret (dry spun) and the solvent (possibly acetone/aqueous acetone) removed. The end result after spinning would be a highly adhesive line with high elasticity and a high tensile strength. It could also be biodegradable depending on the strong material/polymer and bonding agent used.

I've patented this composite design, but it's still only theoretical. I haven't gotten to the testing stage yet. I understand the science and the design seems sound, but I'm having trouble when it comes to actually synthesizing the composite. I'm having trouble finding a way to mix all the components in such a way that they are all evenly distributed. Can anyone tell me how I go about doing this? Anyone who has designed a copolymer, composite, or adhesive in the past: any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm also open to suggestions for materials/polymers that could work as a strong material in this composite.

:)

[Edited on 20-10-2016 by professional_wallflower]

[Edited on 20-10-2016 by professional_wallflower]
Maroboduus
Hazard to Others

Mood: vacant

[*] posted on 20-10-2016 at 21:47

What's the patent number?

Go To Top