Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uranyl Nitrate won't fluoresce.
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

sad.gif posted on 21-10-2016 at 10:01
Uranyl Nitrate won't fluoresce.

Today I got my 2 gram sample of UO2 from United Nuclear.
I then promptly reacted it with conc. HNO3 until no NO2 was produced. I got a green solution, which is what I expected, to be honest. I dried it out in front of a space heater for about 20 mins, on the "Medium" setting, so as not to potentially decompose it, or at least that was my thought process.
When it finally dried, I was left with a very small amount of Yellow-green crystals (I only used something like 5 mg of UO2.) as well as some black specks, likely unreacted UO2 or trace unreacted U metal, but I doubt the latter. What I was left with did NOT glow under my UV light, which really confused me. I really don't want to use up all of my remaining UO2, I plan on keeping it with my other radioactive materials. What did I do wrong, if anything? I already tried this on Uranium-bearing rocks, and to my disappointment, it did not work. What I got from that was some suspicious yellow powder, which seemed almost barely radioactive at best.
Help, pls.
-Azide
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 21-10-2016 at 11:31

Try getting some uranium vaseline glass on eBay to test out your UV light source. Samples are not very expensive.

The quantum efficiency of uranyl fluorescence is much higher in glass than in solution or crystals.

About that which we cannot speak, we must remain silent.
-Wittgenstein

Some things can never be spoken
Some things cannot be pronounced
That word does not exist in any language
It will never be uttered by a human mouth
- The Talking Heads
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

[*] posted on 21-10-2016 at 12:44

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  
Try getting some uranium vaseline glass on eBay to test out your UV light source. Samples are not very expensive.

The quantum efficiency of uranyl fluorescence is much higher in glass than in solution or crystals.

I just got the idea from a video that I saw. From what the creator posted, it seemed to glow like a glow stick, and they were using mere pitchblende.
The video is very easily found on YouTube.

Go To Top