Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Book review...of sorts!
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2018 at 08:18

My latest read: "A History of Chemistry," by F. J. Moore; 3rd edition (1939).

From the preface to the third edition: "...the work of prominent chemists in the various fields is discussed down to the present day..."

Many "thumbnail sketches" (brief biographies) are given of many chemists, , emphasizing their contributions to chemistry. It generally records for most of these chemists whom they studied under.

It is always good to learn (or re-learn) the evolution of key chemical theories.

My personal problem with books like this is that they remind me of how much chemistry I have forgotten (if I ever even knew it). :(
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 10:53

Quote: Originally posted by yobbo II  

It must have been fascinating doing chemistry back in those times. Everything and anything was possible! (but not doable unfortunately).
I once read that vessel used for 'doing' things in was a pigs bladder. It was quite resistant to stuff.
Remember that the humble jam jar had not been invented yet.

The spirit lives on

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/nort...

Is it just me, or does prison seem really extreme for £3k damage?
we had a chimney fire a few weeks back, entirely my fault! I had put a load of christmas tree branches on the fire in the lounge, the chimney soot caught light and up it went.

The liner in the chimney was replaced around 4 years ago, its a kind of plaster/ concrete thing, the fire was hot enough to severely crack the liner like mosaic. Firebrigade had to come out for a few hours.

So how come i didnt get any shit off the police? Seeing as Scotland is way harsher than NI or England, i find it hard to see how he got jailed. Something is missing from that story.

OldNubbins
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 15:30

Chimney fires are relatively common. Poop on a heater.... ehhhhh... not so much.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2018 at 21:22

CharlieA,

You should try to find the 4 volumes of "The Chemical Society Memorial Lectures." These are extensive biographical lectures covering deceased members of the Chemical Society. They give much insight into the workings and personalities of late 19th and early 20th century chemistry. The volumes are hard to find but are occasionally available at ABE books.

Another fascinating book is J.S. Fruton, "Contrasts in Scientific Style." I think you might find it quite enjoyable.

AvB
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top