Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aldol
awlb2
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-11-2016 at 10:28
Aldol

Hello, I need some help on self-aldol condesation conditions. I am attempting to self-aldol react acetone. Does anyone know what pKa is needed to enolate the ketone- does the pKa simply have to be lower than that of acetone? I would like to know if sodium carbonate is a suitable base to use- note, I am not concerned about polymerisation (i.e. full enolisation) etc. I just want to attempt the reaction. Also what temperature is optimal.

Thank you in advance if you are able to help me.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 22-11-2016 at 11:03

To do this reaction, you would have to deprotonate the acetone. Carbonate isn't going to do this. Hydroxide might.

ETA: Hydroxide will work. http://d.web.umkc.edu/drewa/Chem322L/Handouts/EXP%209%20aldo...

[Edited on 22-11-2016 by DraconicAcid]

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2016 at 11:23

Sodium carbonate will do this, acid works well, probably a better plan. Hydroxide is very strong and tends to resin. Another question is do you want the alcohol products or the dehydration products (which tend to be easier to isolate - say by dumping into water).
UC235
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2016 at 12:16

If you want to prepare diacetone alcohol or mesityl oxide, the prescribed procedures can be found in orgsyn:

Diacetone Alcohol from Acetone: http://orgsyn.org/Content/pdfs/procedures/cv1p0199.pdf

Mesityl Oxide from Diacetone Alcohol: http://www.orgsyn.org/Content/pdfs/procedures/cv1p0345.pdf

The products are prone to polymerization and self-condensation and simply adding a base to acetone in a flask will make a mess. The specialized apparatus described for diacetone alcohol is deliberately meant to minimize this.

If you're merely interested in the reaction from an academic standpoint, I highly recommend preparing vanillideneacetone (dehydrozingerone) whose preparation can be found elsewhere on this forum as the first step in preparing zingerone (or alongside the closely related rheosmin). It requires no specialized apparatus or rigorously dry conditions and the product is an easily-crystallizable, attractive yellow solid obtained in high yield.
awlb2
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-11-2016 at 12:41

Thank you everyone for answering my questions, I appreciate the help. I will perhaps try UC235's idea of making vanillindeneacetone which sounds rather interesting.

Go To Top