Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What do you guys use for a vacuum gauge?
alking
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-11-2016 at 14:24
What do you guys use for a vacuum gauge?

I use an npt gauge like this with an npt 3 way splitter and two barbs. The problem is that I've tried a few different of each piece and they're all machined quite poorly, it doesn't seem to matter what you pay for it. This results in a weak seal and a slow leak. I've tried wrapping the threads in teflon tape and it doesn't seem to help. I was thinking something like this would be ideal, but for that price I could just buy a whole new vacuum pump. I would like to reliably do vacuum distillations, but unless I can fix this leak I can't do it, and I'm not running a vacuum w/o a gauge.
Maroboduus
Hazard to Others

Mood: vacant

[*] posted on 22-11-2016 at 15:14

I didn't see any specification of accuracy on the second gauge you posted a link to, but the first one is only accurate to .9 inches of mercury at below 20 inches vacuum. (+/- 3% of total range)

That's accurate to 23mm of mercury. That means if it reads 40mm it's somewhere between 17 and 63mm.
Not really all that helpful. Mechanical gauges tend to be very expensive or very inaccurate. And many get rapidly worse with wear.

As to installing it without leakage, most people put them on the trap between the pump and the glassware. A gauge with a single hose connection works fine there. the hose fitting just goes in a hole in the rubber stopper, and should seal well in the right sized hole.
To seal the threads, plummer's tape should work. If not maybe you need to buy some better fittings. If you own taps and dies in that size you can always go over the threads yourself. For the hose fittings you could just epoxy them on the threads. But if you epoxy them to the gauge you'll need new ones when the gauge gets inaccurate or breaks.

Had another look at the second one you linked to: It's another Bourdon tube gauge. I suspect it's also just accurate to 3% (of the total range)at low pressures, or they'd be bragging about if it was any better. This kind of gauge can be accurate to 1% or even less, but if that is the case for any given gauge I think it's safe to assume the seller will point this out.

I would advise against buying ANY mechanical vacuum gauge if you need accurate readings. Either bite the bullet and buy one of the new electronic ones, or get a mercury manometer.

BTW: did you notice the seller for the 2nd gauge:
1; doesn't know the difference between vacuum and pressure.
2: thinks 76cm=7600mm.

These are not good signs.

[Edited on 22-11-2016 by Maroboduus]

Oh, and I use a lousy mechanical gauge myself, but I test the vacuum by boiling water as well. I think it'd be a LOT better to use something that gave accuracy to a few Torr, and have even been thinking of buying some vacuum pump oil and seeing if I can make a workable manometer with that. It'd have to be 2-3 feet long to have a decent range, But I think it might be reasonably accurate down to a few mm if done correctly.

[Edited on 23-11-2016 by Maroboduus]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 22-11-2016 at 15:59

I recommend that you wrap the threads with teflon tape and teflon pipe dope then screw on a female NPT hose barb. Use thick wall rubber vacuum hose to attach to the barb.

[Edited on 23-11-2016 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-11-2016 at 19:15

I have one of the cheap bourdon type vacuum gauges, not even oil filled,
gauge.jpg - 6kB
with a ghetto connector - silicone greased silicone tubing over the thread and string over that
it seems to not leak at -75 kPa gauge pressure, 28 kPa absolute, over two hours which is the longest i've used it with the pump not running.

the gauge reading is (atmospheric pressure) - (port pressure) +/- errors
so when you get to the low pressure end of the scale interpreting absolute pressure is futile.
Having said that, so far, my gauge consistently goes to -1 atmosphere with my rotary pump.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2016 at 07:25

Depends a lot on if you are looking at low vacuum, like for a rotovap, filtration or medium BP distillation, where a simple gauge works OK, or for a high vacuum application, where you either need a mercury type gauge, or an electronic one to work well. But I can say from much experience, that none of them is near as accurate or precise as they claim in real use. All of them work fine unless exposed to chemicals, solvents, changes in temp, or any other real life conditions, and then they all start failing quickly. For high vac, the electronic ones are nice, you can find used ones cheap, but the sensors for them don't last a long time, unless kept in clean and protected form. One example is below.

http://www.svpneon.com/SVP_VacuumGauge_High.html
Fulmen
International Hazard

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 23-11-2016 at 13:41

I'm using this: http://images.biltema.com/PAXToImageService.svc/altimage/lar...

It's a manifold/fuel pump gauge bought at an automotive shop, shouldn't be hard to find something similar.

We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 23-11-2016 at 14:12

I just took the guage off my vac pump, sealed the hole, then used fairly-rigid gas pipe to move it via a T-piece to somewhere i could see it (pump sits on the floor).

Pointless really, but it looks nice and the needle moves when i throw the switch to turn the pump on.

Jubilee clips were used to cramp the pipe onto the brass fittings.

[Edited on 23-11-2016 by aga]

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2016 at 04:46

I use a V46 from supco, it is a vacuum thermister style sensor accurate to 1millitorr (Tested) and uses SAE 45 degree male flare connections

http://www.supco.com/web/supco_live/products/VG64.html

I want to get a mercury manomiter style vacuum guage for chemical side of reactions to monitor internal vacuums
CouchHatter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-6-2019 at 18:19

And here I was thinking I had discovered some hack to insanely low pressure. Negative NEGATIVE vacuum! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkaBQW2SDo
happyfooddance
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2019 at 20:16

Quote: Originally posted by CouchHatter  
And here I was thinking I had discovered some hack to insanely low pressure. Negative NEGATIVE vacuum! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkaBQW2SDo

Lol! I've had cheap vacuum guages that do that, they're at least good for letting you know that the system is pulling a decent vacuum...

So for example, if it shows that your aspirator is pulling 5 torr (aspirator lol), you know it's really leaky and is only at like 150! :P
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 28-6-2019 at 03:29

at the moment i'm not using a vacuum gauge, simply because as it's already been said, good ones are expensive, and cheap ones are nearly useless, but i'm working on something.
i found this cheap absolute pressure sensor, the MD-PS002, for really cheap, less that 1 euro for a pack of 2 (prices can vary), i'll hook it to my arduino and translate the voltage (it needs an amplifier, the HX711 from a load cell project i did should work) to a pressure value. even if this gets damaged it is cheap to change

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 28-6-2019 at 13:42

A decent micron gauge for HVAC techs is about $150, if you can get by without bluetooth. There will be no leaks because there will be compression; they have 1/4" SAE flare threads. Brass male flare to male NPT adapters are cheap. A cold trap is probably necessary for this type of gauge, and they foul easily from backstreamed oil too, but are easy to clean by soaking the end in IPA. For stronger vacuum than aspirator, AFAIK there is no ideal or best value vac gauge.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden

Go To Top