Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Phenol dye with DES/DEC/
nitdhaval
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2016 at 20:49
Phenol dye with DES/DEC/

I want to know about Ethylation of already prepared dye with Diethyl sulfate or Diethylcarbonate.

i have attached the structure of the same. which is best practice.

Our current route is via ethyl-chloride gas and spirit in an autoclave (6 ATM), which is very old process.

any suggestions.

Direct-Yellow-4.gif - 4kB
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 28-11-2016 at 20:54

Where are you trying to ethylate? And what is your desired product?

Before we go about reinventing the wheel, tell us about the current process. How are yields and purity? What's wrong with it? Why are you interested in other routes?

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
qeezur
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2016 at 12:18

Which functional group do u want to change here ?

I see two OH which can attack the CH2 of the CH3-CH2-OS(O)2O-CH2-CH3 in presence of triethylamine or pyridine. Another way can be to take ethyl halide and convert it into methyl or paratoluene sulfonate then get this Nu attack done. Both will form an ethyl ether.

P.S. The lewis basic potency of aromatic OH /Phenol is lesser than usual OH because the nonbonding electrons on O will go into conjugation of ring.

Go To Top