Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Opinion on lab table
Chlorine
Hazard to Self

Mood: Brominated

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 18:07
Opinion on lab table

I've finally broken down and bought the materials to make another lab table, in the past I've used sheets of cold rolled steel screwed into the corners of the table, but I've had a tough time cleaning it. Now my question, is there a superior covering that I could use, should I switch to Teflon mats that I can switch out every few months, or stick to the sheet metal?

Regards,

ahill
Hazard to Self

Mood: triumphant

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 18:55

I think epoxy is the surface of choice - here is AU the hardware stores carry pour-on epoxy for bench tops. I used this stuff over a cheap fibreboard work bench. Very hard wearing, and looks great (like glass). So you build / buy whatever is easiest, then pour a couple of litres of this stuff on - and presto - a chemical / heat resistant, easy to clean surface.

[Edited on 30-11-2016 by ahill]
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 18:55

I use a lab rack screwed to a sheet of MDF which I clamp to my woodworking bench, which is covered with a sheet of tempered hardboard. On the MDF I have placed a couple of left-over 1-sq ft tiles from my bathroom remodeling.

I think steel reacts with too many things to be useful...but I guess that depends upon how messy one is. (I try not to be messy, but...)

If I were starting over, I think I would just cover my surface with bathroom tiles, or to go cheap, with something analogous to asbestos board and just plan on replacing it periodically.
Chlorine
Hazard to Self

Mood: Brominated

[*] posted on 29-11-2016 at 19:05

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
I use a lab rack screwed to a sheet of MDF which I clamp to my woodworking bench, which is covered with a sheet of tempered hardboard. On the MDF I have placed a couple of left-over 1-sq ft tiles from my bathroom remodeling.

I think steel reacts with too many things to be useful...but I guess that depends upon how messy one is. (I try not to be messy, but...)

If I were starting over, I think I would just cover my surface with bathroom tiles, or to go cheap, with something analogous to asbestos board and just plan on replacing it periodically.

I learned that the hard way, cleaning up 20-25 ml's of nitric acid on non galvanized steel is quite a pain.

[Edited on 11-30-2016 by Chlorine]

Go To Top