Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The freedom of information?
roamingnome
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-11-2006 at 16:24
The freedom of information?

The freedom of information?

I watched a show how China’s internet is totally controlled and censored and I was like ..oh those poor china people getting a water-downed internet , but then after using the internet myself for the last decade, I overtly noticed certain pictures and pages that disappear, and that im getting the water-downed internet!

Granted a certain company hosting a picture of a solar concentrator device or electric eels being tested for voltage in a tank, can be un-hosted by the authors, but especially when it comes to “certain” organic reactions like n-bromosuccimide with allybenzene for example. A few months ago I typed that into Google and presto some good pages. Now, No results. Well I downloaded a hard copy you bastards. And I salute all hard drives storing the library of Alexandria out there.

And simply having a text book or an old uncle fester book will get you nailed pretty hard in the end. Putting to many dots in one place is dangerous, like concentrating uranium ore or something.

Freedom of information, the shackles of reality still hold me….
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 29-11-2006 at 14:48

Uhh, I see a number of replies, equal to -1 :o ???

EDIT: Now with my reply added, the reply count reads out as 0, it should be 1.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also see a similar trend. I have the impression that information becomes less and less free, not in the sense that it is censored, but that all useful information has to be paid for.

I already had broadband internet access in 1992 or something like that and in those years there was a wealth of information, free to be downloaded. Good papers from universities in PS, DVI or LaTEX format. Nowadays, if I am searching on the internet, then I get tons of links, either from sellers of equipment, or I stumble across paid for/subscribers only webpages for scientific papers.

[Edited on 29-11-06 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2006 at 17:51

Of course. Like justice, and education, those who so profitably control its portals, through their influence with governments whom they cajole and bribe into enacting laws (copyright and other laws granting monopolies) in their favor, ensure that "freedom of information" is only for the rich, nowadays. The only relief is provided by warez sites and other types of pirates, most of whom are located in left-leaning countries which are indifferent or unfriendly toward the U.S.A. and E.U..
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 17-12-2006 at 11:19

It seems if one lives in the EU or USA the actual access to information is still restriced to a greater extent. What appears to the searcher is advertising disguised as information. Where ARE some of the more unique portals of information ? Is the FoIA more or less neutered?
One of the better links: http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/Man.shtml is about as good as I have seen as a startiing point for general stuff.

roamingnome
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-12-2006 at 20:40

ew.... vintage manuals

strange as it sounds, i will pass this to a fellow who restores antiquated things.

i used to make fun of him for repairing 8-tracks, until he pulled out an old carbon arc projection device.
Lambda
National Hazard

Mood: Euforic Online

[*] posted on 19-12-2006 at 11:55

Recently, you also have to register by e-Mail address for "Free Patents Online". This kind of pisses me off, for they now also want to know; who is looking for what. The "Big Brother Clamp" is pressing down harder and harder by the day. Eventually we will all have to ask permission to piss and shit in our own homes.

Regards,

Lambda.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 20-12-2006 at 06:36

Most indepth info seems esoteric aside from the man seeking it :P
I maintained a pretty damn big collection of patents just for that reason...I thought that someone was going to clamp down on the access to patents (especially the interesting ones) :P
The UK patent page is a chore to use unlike the USPO web site.

Some people here have mastered it like a martial art...but that site is not fun.

[Edited on 20-12-2006 by quicksilver]

Lambda
National Hazard

Mood: Euforic Online

[*] posted on 21-12-2006 at 15:14
Patent access

On the subject of free Patent access, @a_bab was so kind as to provide us with a Google link in the thread:

Google patents launched! (20-12-2006 at 23:26):
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=7257#pid8...

The link to Google image Patent search is (No Ads!!, and ~7.000.000 Patents online):
http://www.google.com/patents

@kmno4 has also provided us with an excellent link in the same thread (Not only Patent images, also PDF's):
http://www.espacenet.com

Thank you @a_bab and @kmno4 for these fantastic sources of Patent information.

Regards,

Lambda.

Go To Top