Printable Version  
Author: Subject: University damaged by fire - looking for help :/
Hegi
Hazard to Others

Mood: No idea.

sad.gif posted on 10-12-2016 at 03:43
University damaged by fire - looking for help :/

Dear colleauges and friends,

sadly, yesterday evening our department of inorganic chemistry (University of P. J. Safarik in Kosice, Slovakia) was completely destroyed during the big roof fire that resulted most probably from bad electro installation. Our labs, instruments and all of our work is forever gone. :( :mad: It will take months and maybe years to get this all back... At least - nobody was hurt.

However, still there are many students (including me) willing to continue with the research they´ve been working on for several months (Also many of them need to finish their master´s degree)... Not in the name of university (that will have to solve other problems the following days..) but in the name of these students I am asking you to help us if possible. Any low amounts of basic chemicals, glassware even financial help would be really appreciated as we fortunately can find another space to work in but we have no material.

For our special needs we need sodium hydroxide, erbium(III) oxide, titanium(IV) chloride, nickel and iron metal powder of high quality so we can continue our research in a field of ternary oxides and their magnetism..

If anybody can help us we will be infinitely thankful for bringing our lives back. :(

Please lock this topic to stay on the top of the page if you can..

2291408_1000x.jpeg - 164kB

poziar-ohen-hasici-Kosice.jpg - 128kB

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 03:50

Wow.
Not sure how much help I can be from this end of the globe. Chems and glassware are probably better sourced locally. I have come across a few suppliers in Eastern Europe. Nothing that you have listed sounds too exotic or expensive so I guess that's a bonus.

I and I am sure many others will be happy to contribute a spot of cash to help you get up and running but I think organising your own sources will be more practical. Who knows -- you might even find a glassware or chem supplier who will actually sponsor you.

Hegi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 04:01

Thanks for your response j_sum1 ... Unfortunately, if we were about to ask companies for sponsoring it could be accomplished only in the official way and we can not do that as we are only students. So as you wrote, the most convenient way maybe is to do fundraising and use money to buy chemicals and glassware from local suppliers maybe or ebay. :(

Our webpage has been shut down forever cause nobody was willing to contribute. Shame on you all!!!
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 04:21

http://onyxmet.com/?route=product/product&path=69_140&am...
http://onyxmet.com/?route=product/product&path=69_89&...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/e_2718/m.html

These might be helpful. And communicating directly with the guys at onyxmet might drum up a good deal or even some freebees.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 06:01

I will pin this for a bit.

Good luck!

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Topped
10-12-2016 at 06:01
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 09:15

Crowdfunding is probably the best way to go in your situation.

http://www.crowdfunding.com/

Maybe split your requirements into smaller parts to ensure that funding targets are met - e.g. Lab glass, fume hood(s), common reagents, exotic reagents etc etc.

(if you attempt to raise $20m in one project, you get 0 if you only raise $19.9m)

Put them all under a snappy title to tie all the crowdfunding requests together.

Hegi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 09:28

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Crowdfunding is probably the best way to go in your situation.

http://www.crowdfunding.com/

Maybe split your requirements into smaller parts to ensure that funding targets are met - e.g. Lab glass, fume hood(s), common reagents, exotic reagents etc etc.

(if you attempt to raise $20m in one project, you get 0 if you only raise $19.9m)

Put them all under a snappy title to tie all the crowdfunding requests together.

Aga, thanks very much. We do not need milions.. we (students) are not going to repare our university.. we need just a minimum to continue our research! :)

Our webpage has been shut down forever cause nobody was willing to contribute. Shame on you all!!!
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 09:51

Lol.

It was just an example !

With crowdfunding, you need to set a target for a project.

If you reach 100% of the target, you get the money.
If you reach 99.9% you get Nothing !

So, better to start a crowdfunding thing for smaller amounts, so you are more likely to get at least Some projects 100% funded, e.g. glassware, chems etc.

Throw in a few 'other' projects, so if a 'real' one fails to get any money, you can use the money for the 'real' project.

Maybe start a crowdfunding project for each student and raise the $ a little higher than you need, so if someone does not get any $, you can fund him/her yourself.

Hegi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 11:17

Lol.

It was just an example !

With crowdfunding, you need to set a target for a project.

If you reach 100% of the target, you get the money.
If you reach 99.9% you get Nothing !

So, better to start a crowdfunding thing for smaller amounts, so you are more likely to get at least Some projects 100% funded, e.g. glassware, chems etc.

Throw in a few 'other' projects, so if a 'real' one fails to get any money, you can use the money for the 'real' project.

Maybe start a crowdfunding project for each student and raise the $ a little higher than you need, so if someone does not get any $, you can fund him/her yourself.

Lol, i got it! ... .)

We will hopefully start it tommorow... :)

Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 15:24

Did your university have insurance? If it did, you might not need to worry about getting replacement stuff, at least for the stuff that's replaceable.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Hegi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 07:47

Quote: Originally posted by Metacelsus  
Did your university have insurance? If it did, you might not need to worry about getting replacement stuff, at least for the stuff that's replaceable.

Sure it did, however... money will be used for building reconstruction.. we are now trying to keep research running :)

We started crowdfunding for 2000$. This could help us buy chemicals and maybe some glassware. We will be thankful for anything. I hope that you colleagues understand our hard situation :) You can donate on this link CHEMISTRY STUDENTS - RESEARCH DESTROYED BY FIRE

[Edited on 11-12-2016 by Hegi]

Sulaiman
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 08:38

the link does not work for me

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Hegi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 08:41

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
the link does not work for me

I tried to repare it. Maybe it is working now for everyone. :)

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 09:05

Is there a way to accept paypal ?

Hegi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 09:10

Is there a way to accept paypal ?

I think it is possible to donate via paypal Aga (if the account is verified).

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 09:44

Nope. Logged in and just a credit card option.

Edit:

Looks like you have to click a button or something :
https://www.generosity.com/about/terms

"Campaigner Owners that accept PayPal and Contributors that use PayPal ..."

[Edited on 11-12-2016 by aga]

Hegi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 10:11

Nope. Logged in and just a credit card option.

Edit:

Looks like you have to click a button or something :
https://www.generosity.com/about/terms

"Campaigner Owners that accept PayPal and Contributors that use PayPal ..."

[Edited on 11-12-2016 by aga]

I have read it but.. there´s no setting in my account to allow paypal donation. I am helpless with this. :(

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 11-12-2016 at 11:08

Never mind.

Just U2U your paypal details.

Hegi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-8-2017 at 10:43

We want to say big thanks to AGA who contributed with an amount of money that allowed us to buy erbium(III) oxide and some other chemicals (attached photo) to work with as our group was willing to study magnetism of mixed erbium-iron oxide prepared by various methods. Still, research is in progress due to other problems with measurements but we were able to prepare products, at least. Thanks! :)

18581554_1563898730301747_2779195690680654408_n.jpg - 43kB

Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent
Thread Untopped
8-10-2018 at 16:59

Go To Top