Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Precipitating Pure Gold with PLANT FOOD - VIDEO
kadriver
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thankful

[*] posted on 20-12-2016 at 05:13
Precipitating Pure Gold with PLANT FOOD - VIDEO

Hello, here is a new video I created that shows how I dissolve gold with hydrochloric acid and bleach

Then I use plant food, aka copperas, aka ferrous sulfate, to precipitate the pure gold out of solution:

https://youtu.be/INepHVLGefk

some have suggested to do the reaction cold to get a better result.

Any input here would be appreciated.

kadriver

Youtube channel - sreetips
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-12-2016 at 06:50

The reaction of HCl and NaOCl creates Hypochlorous acid. Here is a reference to your gold oxide ore extraction process: "Leaching of an oxide gold ore with chloride/hypochlorite solutions", published inInternational Journal of Mineral Processing 82(4):178-186 ,June 2007. To quote the extract:

"An oxide gold ore was subjected to chloride/hypochlorite leaching at room temperature. The effects of three factors, including Ca(OCl)2 vs. NaOCl, OCl− concentration, and HCl concentration on gold leaching performance were investigated. Due to formation of CaOCl+ complex in solution and hence less reactivity, calcium hypochlorite produces a sluggish gold leaching kinetics, taking twice the time (46 h) to achieve maximum gold recovery of 58% compared to sodium hypochlorite. 10 g/L of total initial hypochlorite species in solution produces reasonable gold recoveries. The amount of added HCl and hence the initial pH was found to have a major effect on gold leaching kinetics and maximum gold recovery. A high level of 9 g/L of added HCl causes HClO to be very reactive, producing very fast kinetics, reaching 67% gold extraction in 4 h. It also causes a faster consumption of hypochlorous acid, through catalytic decomposition (by NiO and CuO) and disproportionation. Hypochlorous acid reactions with sulfide and ferrous content of ore proceed very slowly in the pH range of 4–11. Gold–chloro complexes are strongly adsorbed on quartz component of ore. To minimize this undesirable adsorption of gold–chloro species, the aging time must be limited to a few hours only."

Link: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/248400504_Leaching_...
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-12-2016 at 14:17

Superb stuff kadriver !

Like the voice on the video - spices it up over earlier videos.

I can only assume that the the 'plant food copperas' is iron(II)sulphate with an unknown heap of other crap as impurities.

Some of those impurities would probably dissolve along with the ferrous sulphate, and make it throught the filter into your chloroauric solution.

That might be why your gold mud didn't come out the right colour (the one you said you wanted).

Citric Acid food supplement worked OK for me, but i've no experience so didn't really know what the 'quality' of the result was.

On the plus side, food supplements are cheap and very pure, so at least you know what you're getting/putting into your reactions.

feacetech
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-12-2016 at 12:49

your videos are great, and I am now very interested in gold recovery and refining

some questions

is the bleach in your guys countries stabilised with NaOH?

Is it the Cl in an acidic environment gas generated from the reaction of hypo and HCl that dissolves the gold?

I have access to a muffle furnace, ultrasonic cleaner and many lab supplies.

I found suspected gold strips (heavy and looked like brass) awhile back in the lab and slowly ramped them up they melted at about 1063 +/- 5 C, however they stuck to the crucible was this because it was glazed or because I didn't use sodium terta borate, does it help prevent sticking as well as lower m.p or was it just the stupid glazed cruc.

I have access to all common mineral acids including some stronger acids (perchloric). Muffle furnace, solvents common reagents, oven, desiccators etc.

With out being spoon feed what would be the easiest method and type of scrap to start with. And are their any short cuts I can take since I have good quality equipment

i.e. just digest the shit out of trimmed circuit boards or scrap jewellery then add perchloric and smash her some more (similar to rock digests) (I am not thinking in any way at this point perchloric will probably will ruin the gold or explode)

or just melt all the gold removed foils and pins in the furnace at 1070 and skim off the slag?

I do like the look of the auric acid solution though, less waste the better unless recovery of other metals is viable from waste solutions. Im not much of metallurgist BTW.

Go To Top