Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Demand for Nano Powders
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-12-2016 at 10:00
Demand for Nano Powders

Hello All,

I need your help! I have been searching for specific nano powders for my research needs and I am astonished by the price (and quanity one must purchase). I am therefore thinking of buying a planetary mill myself to produce these powders, but to help offset the cost of the machine (up to 8grand) I was thinking of selling nano powders to hobbyist like my self. Do you think there would be any demand for these powders, I would sell them in 5-25gram quantities for about half (or less) of the price that companies like (http://www.us-nano.com/inc/sdetail/467) and the such.

The powders I am thinking of producing are:

Aluminum (40-100nm)
Aluminum Hydride (100nm)
Magnesium (200nm)
Magnesium Hydride (200nm)
Zirconium (100nm)
Zirconium Hydride (?)
Silicon metal (100nm)

What do you think, would there be any demand for this among hobbyist?
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-12-2016 at 19:35

I would look in the energetic materials section, as that is where those would be used most. And many of those are available from Pyro supplies, not sure if fine enough, but unless you are using pounds of them, I can't see making them for sale unless you are really sure of what you are doing. The Al is regulated by the ATF/CPSC, so they will likely regulate you to death if they find out you exist, if you don't believe me, just ask about it in energetics. They will know.

Note that many of those require special cautions, as milling Al and Mg very fine can cause fires and require passivization in some cases, see the threads in the energetic materials section for more details. And the hydrides will be air sensitive even before grinding. And zirconium is friction sensitive, so milling it may cause even more problems than Al or Mg. Good luck.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 26-12-2016 at 19:18

Yup! Here in the U.S., such transactions are regulated.

Oh, they aren't especially odious regulations. But, buying, selling, or shipping..... fine metal powders......

Well, you either have to have a license, or you have to follow very specific guide lines.

Go To Top