Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: No more Providone Iodine over the counter?
FloridaAlchemist
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 07:43
No more Providone Iodine over the counter?

It seems 10% Providone Iodine is now on the list.
2 large drugchains took them off the shelfs and
will not sell them OTC anymore.
Pretty soon all general chemicals will be on that list.
:o
Hilski
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 09:10

Its still available everywhere here. Even the dinky little "every thing's a dollar" chains carry it. Of course I don't really have any use for the stuff, so I never really paid any attention to what % iodine it contains. Maybe it's less than the 10% stuff that you're talking about.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 09:17

well I know enough to sumise that this is because of making drugs, as is the ban on RP.
now I don`t know shit about making drugs or what their even worth, but if this stuff is 10% (then you need all the other chems to make the pure I2) then enough safety match boxes to scrape the RP off, and then the other stuff you need etc.....

Surely these druggies were onto a loser from the start financialy!?

or does a tiny bit make loads or last forever like a catalyst or something?
(no I don`t want to know how it`s made)

it just seems like a lot of fuss and bother (and probably not even profitable), unless taking it off the shelf is just some sort of Message or something?

seems a bit Dumb really when you consider that Most of it sold is for legit reasons :S

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 10:35

Povoiodine contains 1% titratable Iodine. I guess this means that it has 1% Iodine by weight. Why in gods fucking name would you waste time with povoiodine.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 10:49

Quote:
Originally posted by YT2095
well I know enough to sumise that this is because of making drugs, as is the ban on RP.

Given that you seem to be talking about a UK situation, such a reason is simply stupid. How could iodine be used in "making drugs" in UK when to my knowledge neither any ephedrines nor any norephedrines are available OTC?
If that would be an official excuse for removing this Povoiodine product from the shelves, then you can consider your legislators as the dumbest in whole Europe!
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 11:08

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicodem
then you can consider your legislators as the dumbest in whole Europe!

It is their job to be dumb....afterall you win an election you have to have a degree in political science...heaven forbid anyone with a real degree and education would run for office.

The third world keeps looking better and better...

enhzflep
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 23:10

Quote:
Originally posted by YT2095
Surely these druggies were onto a loser from the start financialy!?

or does a tiny bit make loads or last forever like a catalyst or something?
(no I don`t want to know how it`s made)

Yeah, I reckon! I too thought that this could hardly be a good proposition - financially (we know it's a dud fromany other perspective) Being the curious fellow that I am, I researched the underground movement somewhat. I'm bound to be miles off,

but in my country of Australia, I believe it's possible to spend around $40-$50 for a return of over $200! And that's just for one gram of the shit. A girl I knew years ago went to the UK and brought some of the shit back with her WTF?! At the time I can clearly recall her saying that it was cheaper by the gram than a pack of 20 cigarettes were!!!! (- $5, at the time street price in Aust was listed as being in the vicinity of $200)

As to the re-use of the chems, dunno. Though I do recall a time probably 10-15 years ago when there was a batch of the crud going around that was known colloquially as OxBlood. It later transpired that this was just 'ordinary' methamphetamine that contained fairly large quantities of RP. Knowing Jack Schitt about many of the reactions involved, I came to the belief that the rp could be filtered from such a run before being cleaned and re-used. As for the HI that they want to make from the I, Have heard stories of that being sold for more than $1000/L!!

Though, if the demented individual was 'talented' enough to be making phosgene during the process then maybe Darwin will win the round, and the only thing recycled willl be the body of said individual.

All that said, I'm not a proponent for drugs of the class listed above. However, I'm not so sure that the current attitude is all that productive from a human-race stand-point.

You see, there's the problem of stereo-isomerism (sp?) so, there's 3 kinds of pseudo, one of em's any real use. Not that 1/2 of the 'chemists' know that. Result -> kids get junk.

Next of course is the sky-high prices of the precursors, which are obtained almost exclusively through criminal behaviour.
Result -> bussiness burglaries and break-ins.

Following that is the lengths that money-greedy bums will go to to make a cent, and the resultant lack of sterile and hygenic manufacturing environments.
Result->"Whaddya mean you cant put a basic solution into aluminium? I added caustic-soda to the cook-up and then transferred to Al electric wok. Yeah! It's good how the shit even cleans the wok at the same time" :o

Then of course there's the end price of the junk. Something that the govt could make for practically nix is being sold to desperados for $200. This 200 sure isn't being earnt by the users - just by you and me and the insurance company.
Result->Of course some people will still steal to live, while others do it for the exhilaration. But killing off 70% of all property related crime'd be nice huh?

Then of course there is the issue that this whole rant pertains to: The drying up of OTC (and chem-supply houses) sources of chems.

While it's one thing to take away the personal freedoms of some for the greater good of many, it's counter-productive to slow down the rate of home chemistry and scientific advancements.

In closing, if you want these chems to make bomz to hurt/kill people or to make drugs, I'gve got two things to say to you:

1) GOOD! I'm glad you're having a shit of a time buying chems.
2) FUCK-OFF & get a real job/hobby. You've ruined it for the rest of us.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 02:46

Quote:

Given that you seem to be talking about a UK situation, such a reason is simply stupid. How could iodine be used in "making drugs" in UK when to my knowledge neither any ephedrines nor any norephedrines are available OTC?
If that would be an official excuse for removing this Povoiodine product from the shelves, then you can consider your legislators as the dumbest in whole Europe!

With Shengen pseudo-ephedrine is practically OTC: http://www.aspirin.com/aspirina_complex_en.html

But I think they're just brown-nosing as usual. Master says iodine bad, then iodine bad.
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 03:02

no, I wasn`t thinking about the UK at all, I2 and RP are easily and legaly available here, and I`ve never seen povidone on the shelves either, we have generic Tincure or Betadine spray.

I was talking of the countries that Would take this off the shelf, or have you arrested for owning a few test tubes and a hot-plate.

Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
FloridaAlchemist
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 08:21

I'am no drug maker or don't need Providone Iodine for anything. All I said was that another chemical might be on the DEA list of watched chemicals.
enhzflep
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 09:17

I thought I'd just post just in case I was less clear than I thought, and my rather caustic words at the end were taken personally.

Don't know if that was to me FloridaAlchemist, or just a general statement of fact. If it was to me, then sorry. I certainly wasn't addressing the last bit of abuse towards anybody in particular. Just the druggies, to use YT2095's term.

I was just so mad at the time. Even this board suffers, I mean if the chems weren't hard to obtain then there would be more sharing of information and less guarding of sources. Similarly, rather than spend 6 months trying to get all the precursors you could spend 6 months fine-tuning a process or reaction.

Take for example the way that some of the proteins found in snake poisons are sustained with plasma(as in the stuff in blood) or the like. Some bushmen have known this for eons. They'd dip their arrows into the poison of a snake or frog and then use them. Somewhere along the line they discovered that if the poison were mixed with blood before the arrow was dipped in it, it would remain potent for twice as long!! i.e a week or two instead of 3-4 days to a week. As I understand, this is a relatively new idea in western medicine having been re-discovered in the past couple a decades somewhere.

Look at the technology - snake, arrow, blood, bowl and stick. Multi Millions of dollars worth there! Ah-hah. No not at all. Just a matter of experimentation and time. Time we're all losing while we play "Loook MUM! I made what big-brother took away from me:D"

Sorry again FloridaAlchemist if my post seemed to attack you. 'twas not the intent.

[Edited on 3-12-2006 by enhzflep]
YT2095
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 10:09

and nor was Mine, if any "Attack" was made on my part is was the futility of taking such a thing off the shelves and directed towards the druggies that made such a move "acceptable" to the general public.

Eye of newt and wing of Bat will be the next to go on the list!

chromium
Hazard to Others

Mood: reactive

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 13:56

Quote:
Originally posted by enhzflep
... if the chems weren't hard to obtain then there would be more sharing of information and less guarding of sources. Similarly, rather than spend 6 months trying to get all the precursors you could spend 6 months fine-tuning a process or reaction.

This is very true. While almost any chemical or labware can still be found, it takes lot of time to locate suitable sources. Most of us have to go to school every day or are busy at work so we have not that much time for searching sources. Im my case some pieces of glassware took more than year before i found supplyer who actually sold it to me.

When all think alike, then no one is thinking. - Walter Lippmann

Go To Top