Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of tetralin from bromobenzene
Prof_Exanimus
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-12-2016 at 09:35
Synthesis of tetralin from bromobenzene

There are a couple of syntheses for tetralin (1,2,3,4-tetrahydronapthalene) using partial hydrogenation from naphthalene. If one wanted to make 6,7-dihydroxytetralin, it would be difficult to get the desired product instead of 8,6 8,7 or 8,5 isomers (sorry for the odd commas), after the tetralin had already been formed. However, if synthesis started with 2-bromocatechol (2-bromo-5,6-dihydroxy-benzene), it is possible to use the Grignard reaction to add carbon chains. My question is if it's possible to preform a cyclisation reaction with some length of carbon chain attatched to the 2 position. I was actually just thinking about an interesting reaction between a o-dibromobenzene Grignard reagent and 1,4-dichlorobutane; so maybe that'd work. But I digress, I'd like to know your opinons and ideas.
You might notice I'm new here, so I'm looking forward to new peers. Thanks for your input!

p.s. I didn't mention this before, but the reason I give no lab set-up, amounts, etc. is because I neither have the equipment, nor the reagents to preform this reaction. At the moment it's completely hypothetical. I'm reaching out for help because I am not part of any institutions with access to organic chemistry journals, and because people are nice and easy to talk to and understand. I hope in the future to do this reaction, and several others, as the subject of a paper, but as I said before, no access to any of the necessary materials. So, again, I look forward to your input.

[Edited on 24-12-2016 by Prof_Exanimus]
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
24-12-2016 at 02:35

Go To Top