Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Zombie Freidrichs
Meltonium
Hazard to Self

Mood: Fluorinated

[*] posted on 25-12-2016 at 08:24
Zombie Freidrichs

So I just received my newly-purchased freidrichs condenser in the mail and despite the wonderful packaging, it still arrived broken. I contacted the seller and they gave me a full refund which I used to purchase another one. I got to keep the broken one and now I'm not sure what to do with it.

I don't want to just throw it away because much of the glass is still intact and could be re-purposed after a little bit of firing the edges.

I was thinking about buying a glass bottle cutter (like for wine bottles and such) and cutting off the broken bit of the piece with the male joint. I would turn that into a jointed funnel.

As for the other pieces, I don't really know what they could be turned into. Have any ideas?

P.S. The white specks are salt crystals that were used in packaging.
IMG_0400.JPG - 2.5MB IMG_0401.JPG - 931kB IMG_0399.JPG - 959kB
PeterC
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-12-2016 at 09:44

You can make a drechsel-style gas wash bottle from the largest component, mending all the sharp glass will probably be a challenging project.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 25-12-2016 at 11:19

A lapidary saw has been working nicely for chopping glass clean. A tile saw might work also. Check with gem n mineral clubs for a helping hand. The local club here has open shop hours for a small donation

Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 25-12-2016 at 12:41

A dremel tool with a diamond wheel is what you'll need to cut and clean up the broken glass, just do it under a small stream of running water to keep the work cool.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 26-12-2016 at 01:54

Pre and post chop on 4" lapidary saw

IMAG8648.jpg - 1.3MB IMAG8650.jpg - 1.2MB
IMAG8652.jpg - 1.1MB

BTW, that is a free section of quartz tube because it was broken in shipping :) the listing itself was a steal, 14.99$US for the thing unbroken w/ one end closed.. like 2" diameter is a good price. UV lamp cover in pond water treatment system. Time to find a use for the thing :) it's replacement already came safe and sound

Pardon the horrible workspace, ive about ten concurrent projects after not being home for month+. It's a wreck down there in the basement, I know.

[Edited on 26-12-2016 by violet sin]

Go To Top