Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ketone to Alcohol with Mg
fastbre4k
Harmless

Mood: BENZIN

[*] posted on 26-12-2016 at 03:02
Ketone to Alcohol with Mg

I have read a document that says:

9.1g Benzophenone solved in 200ccm Methylalcohol (anhyd.).

Under reflux 4.55g Magnesium tape is addet, 0.2mm thick, fresh polished and cut into 1cm pieces.

The Lively reaction was calmed with a water bath.

The metal dissolved within 2 hours and a clear solution was formed.

The Methanol was stripped and under stirring ice water was added.

With Acetic acid (80%) the Ph was adjusted to a weak low Ph.

The last pieces of Mg(OH)2 dissolved with a bit of heating And a colorless oil appears in the solution what solidifies on cooling.

That was dried under vacuum and recrystallized from Ligroin to yield 8.2g of snow white needles - yield 89% mp. 67,5°C

The Diphenylmethanol gave a red color on reaction with Sulfuric acid.

I guess Methanol can replaced by Ethanol - that would be a clean and easy procedure for making alcohols from ketones.

Mg ETOH reduction von keton zu alk.jpg - 281kB
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2016 at 04:28

This looks pretty similar to MPV reduction with aluminum but apparently doesn't require any mercury. I suspect methanol works better than ethanol, but from a quick search, it looks like people have performed similar reductions in ethanol as well.

I wonder if it works on aromatic or unsaturated aldehydes.

zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 26-12-2016 at 19:22

Might be a special case. Seems to me, Ketones are not generally easily reduced to alcohols.
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 27-12-2016 at 07:26

I would be glad to read some good review on this kind of reactions. But AFAIK, there's none :(. Some steroidic ketones can be reduced to alcohol by sodium methoxide in low yields.
BTW, magnesium+NH4OAc is capable of reducing some phenone-derrived oximes. I'm ready to accept the benzophenone->benzhydrol conversion, but the 1,3-diphenylacetone and acetophenone example are not that easy in reduction, I wonder if it's truly MPV reduction, which works on a wide range of ketonic substrates.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 27-12-2016 at 15:24

Well, seems to me, Ethanol can work in the MPV, and Isopropanol is better, but this doesn't look like the MPV.

In this case, it looks like we have a dissolving metal reduction. In many cases, the MPV requires no metal present, or a merely catalytic amount.

[Edited on 27-12-2016 by zed]
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-12-2016 at 04:53

Quote: Originally posted by byko3y  
I would be glad to read some good review on this kind of reactions. But AFAIK, there's none :(

see this thread - http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=66545 ,the pdf also gives reference for the reduction of ketones using Mg/MeOH
byko3y
National Hazard

Mood: dooM

[*] posted on 28-12-2016 at 07:51

Well, the article at https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja01409a042 confirms that benzophenone is indeed reduced be magnesium metal and not magnesium amalgam. Also you can find a reduction of ring-deactivated benzyl alcohol by Mg/MeOH. Magnesium is known to form benzophenone lketyl radical. Also Mg-NH4OAc reduces benzylic oximes, but not aliphatic ones.
Summarizing the observations: magnesium is capable of reacting with benzylic group. Still I don't understand how the 1,3-diphenylacetone is reduced.

Go To Top