Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can i use this glassware for gassing?
Db33
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-12-2016 at 14:09
Can i use this glassware for gassing?

i bought this piece of glassware because i thought it looked like the best option if i was to make a gas generator and then run tubbing to the arm and then use the tube to control the gassing. Is that what this is used for or is it at least good for this?

s-l500.jpg - 24kB
Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 27-12-2016 at 14:35

It would be fine for gassing; a frit on the end would be even better. You just have to make sure the length fits the flask you intend on using.
tsathoggua1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Phosphorescent

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 09:03

Another way to go about it is to use a distillation adapter, hose on the side barb and a glass stopper, keck clipped onto the male end of the adapter. Attach suitable tubing to the hose barb and plug a length of glass tubing, to lead through into the flask, beaker of whatever other container is being used to hold the substrate being gassed.

Can be a bit of a nuisance if its for a Birch reduction though, unless generating the anhydrous from CaO/ammonium salt, otherwise it requires a separate tube between glass outlet and a drying tube packed with CaO either end with a one-hole stopper in place.

Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 8-1-2017 at 09:17

Yeah I've bought that bit of glassware. I cut down the length of the tubing and now it is much more useful, it is a part of the vacuum trap for my glassware (pictured, ignore Monty) and also is the correct length now to bubble gases through any neck in my 250ml and 500ml flasks (some volume of liquid is needed in the 500ml flask if I recall). It was kinda an expensive part given that I chopped off a length of it anyway, but now that it's the right size it's great

vaccuum pump.PNG - 650kB

Go To Top